Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Should preschool teachers get paid full for zoom classes

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 8:58 am
My elementary child had zoom school and while the day was a little shorter than regular it was still pretty full and I would totally understand that the teacher spend more time as usual preparing so their amount of time spent working each time was the same and I have no problem paying in full.

My preschool children though its a joke. My three year old had a half hour of zoom and my 5 year old had 1.5 hours. There is no way the teachers spent even half the amount of time she usually spends working. What happened in March was sudden unexpected. Going into September where school will very possibly online, why can't preschool teachers take a salary cut and tuition be lowered?

Plenty people lost jobs during covid and unfortunately as preschool cant be taught remotely they lost their jobs as well.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 9:33 am
My preschooler had about 1.5-2 hours of group live instruction per day, plus at least 45 minutes of new video content per day, plus 20 minutes per week of 1 on 1 live instruction, plus access to separate reading and math apps with assignments, plus printed materials for math, handwriting, and art. And that was last year, when the school had to figure it out on short notice. I expect that this year's distance learning will be even better.

I would not cut pay or furlough teachers on the ground that they are doing insufficient work. But if the economic hardships of COVID hit school budgets through the strains on parents and donors, then the schools may be forced to furlough or lay off.

Beingreal

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 9:48 am
As a preschool teacher I can tell you how hard we work, even if it's 1.5 hours or a half hour. The material we try to give is what we can do and try to give love over zoom.

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 9:59 am
Beingreal wrote:
As a preschool teacher I can tell you how hard we work, even if it's 1.5 hours or a half hour. The material we try to give is what we can do and try to give love over zoom.

My three year old was in school from 9-3 and then had a half hour of zoom. I have no doubt about it that her teacher worked to produce that half hour of zoom. However there is just no way she spent even near the usual six hours on it.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:03 am
If was told that if my work doesn't have enough work for me to do my hours will be cut. My husband's hours are now minimal. In every other business Prep time is unpaid. Learning new skills, CEs we have to take by lawetc is all unpaid. Teachers were paid for hours in the class. Now we have less class. So unless the teachers are doing 6 hours of class or more- they should get a salary cut. Sorry but they shouldn't be magically protected from what everyone else has to deal with. I can't afford tuition and the school can't give a discount if they are paying staff who aren't working. I mean one teacher I know taught about 5 half hour sessions a week. For his regular salary.
I can't pull my kids out or they won't be accepted next year. I can't afford tuition or we will otherwise not be able to afford anything more than beans and rice (and maybe not that, we don't qualify for any government benefits even though I don't make a lot). We will not be able to pay rent in our cheaper apartment (we pay less than the going rate for the same apartment because we moved in here years ago). Well if we get evicted I guess I won't have to worry about the electric bill and can therefore afford those beans and rice. But if we don't have a place to cook it how can we eat??
Why should teachers be exempt?? Everyone needs to take a pay cut these days so we all can stay afloat.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 8:04 am
My nursery ds had a 5 minute prerecorded class 4 times a week. I still don't understand why we had to pay full tuition for that.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 9:02 am
I agree with you which is why I am holding back my deadline birthday 3 year old and sending him to home playgroup instead. I dont want to pay almost 5k for the yeshiva prek when no one knows how this year will end up. Iyh he will be able to have the full experience a year from now. I know not everyone has that option due to age but I am very grateful that I do.

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 9:05 am
My kids school has explained the COVID closure refund policy for this school year. For grades k-12, there will be a robust remote learning schedule; what we had last year was already very good so I am confident if they say it will be even more robust, it will be; and there will be no tuition refund. For the ECE classes (they start at age 3, so this is for the 3 and 4 year olds), there will be a tuition refund because they have seen that there is no way to truly provide a remote learning platform worth the tuition. I believe it will be a reduced tuition and a reduced schedule.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 9:07 am
If preschool teachers are paid less they will probably want to jut be furloughed to collect unemployment.
I can’t imagine it’s worth it for then to work then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics