Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How can I trust my cleaning lady?

thegiver

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:26 pm
There is a halachah not to entrust your kitchen to a nonjew without supervision even for 18 minutes. (without a camera or someone checking in frequently) but that is more a kashrut question.

My real question is from theft. A cleaning lady once stole something rly precious so I am always worried. If something small like shoes is missing I will always blame her. Can you suggest any way to get over this paranoia? Like she started bringing a bag (probably with her lunch in it or valueables) and I rly don't like it. How can I ask her not to (too hot to leave lunch in her car) or have her bag checked before she goes (I find this so insulting! I don't like that kind of open mistrust)

Should I put cameras next to my valueables? If yes at what angle? What kind of camera? (How does it store footage how long does it keep it?) Or an alarm or something? Then what is point of mezuzah?

newcomer

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:37 pm
If someone wants to steal something, they don't need a bag to stash it in.
If you are worried, lock away any valuables.
Why would someone want to steal a pair of shoes? I wouldn't worry abt random items like that being stolen.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 10:41 pm
You’re a bit too paranoid.
Hide your valuables really well in a place where you’re around while she cleans.
Not upstairs in some quiet room.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:12 pm
You should not trust her and for sure lock up your valuables. I never leave cleaning help alone in my bedroom, I am there with her, do my own stuff while she's there and then lock the door after she's done. If you are that scared then what is stopping you from installing a camera?

nd613

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:20 pm
You can put a combination lock on your bedroom wic closet. Keep checks/jewelry.. there and you don’t need to worry.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:20 pm
You take reasonable precautions by putting money and obvious valuables in a safe place.

However if you have such a level of distrust that you think your cleaning woman will steal shoes, you need to either find someone you trust or do without because that is nit reasonable. You can not search your cleaning woman like that and not have it cause resentment.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:24 pm
If you trust her, she won’t steal from you. I’ve never had a cleaning lady steal anything and I leave everything all over the place. People call me naive, but I trust everyone (in general) and find that people act trustworthy because they know I trust.

avrahamama

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 12:07 am
I want to address the mezuzah question. The point is it's a mitzvah. It's there to protect you. It's not a nanny cam for thieving cleaning ladies. I'm not a rabbi or talmid chacham or anything. But the mezuzah is a reminder for you of H constant presence.

BZH your mezuzot should keep you safe from harm. And everything that precious to you whether it's physical or otherwise, is kept safe as well.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 1:02 am
thegiver wrote:
There is a halachah not to entrust your kitchen to a nonjew without supervision even for 18 minutes. (without a camera or someone checking in frequently) but that is more a kashrut question.

My real question is from theft. A cleaning lady once stole something rly precious so I am always worried. If something small like shoes is missing I will always blame her. Can you suggest any way to get over this paranoia? Like she started bringing a bag (probably with her lunch in it or valueables) and I rly don't like it. How can I ask her not to (too hot to leave lunch in her car) or have her bag checked before she goes (I find this so insulting! I don't like that kind of open mistrust)

Should I put cameras next to my valueables? If yes at what angle? What kind of camera? (How does it store footage how long does it keep it?) Or an alarm or something? Then what is point of mezuzah?

A mezuzah is not a security camera or burgular alarm.

And no, you cannot ask her to not bring her own bag into your house, esp if she has to bring her own lunch.

If you are so worried, install security cameras.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 1:15 am
Where did you find her? I always hire someone with references. If she worked for other families and didn't steal from them, why should I think she'll steal from me?

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 6:00 am
A family member once caught her cleaning lady applying her makeup! Never mind that she had no idea how to do it and looked like a clown...

She promptly threw out every last item.

I believe it wouldn't happen in my home though, cleaning ladies know me and my rules. And I'm not their friend.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 6:11 am
I don't have a cleaning lady, but my mother always tells them that there are hidden cameras around the house when she initially hires them (even though there are not.)

Also, keep all valuables in a locked closet or discrete safe.

essie14

Post Wed, Jul 22 2020, 7:09 am
My cleaning lady works for several families in my neighborhood. She knows if anyone accused her then she would lose all her jobs. When I first hired her I stayed home the whole time she was working and even now , a few years later, I am in and out when shes here, and I trust her completely. I dont leave valuable jewelry laying around but I know she's not pawing through my stuff.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry