Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Have you done a mold test on your home?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 2:10 am
Have you tested your house for mold? If yes please help:

did you do it with where you send in your own samples or you had someone come out and do the inspection? Did they find anything? Does anyone NOT have any mold in their home or is this the kind of thing where if you run a test you will find it everywhere?

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 2:34 am
We had flooding in our basement. We brought in a professional company who was excellent and they did the remediation.
If you are in Jersey, I will gladly share the contact.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 2:47 am
not in jersey but thanks. I'm looking more for cases where there is no known water damage but there's suspected mold due to health issues.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 7:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
not in jersey but thanks. I'm looking more for cases where there is no known water damage but there's suspected mold due to health issues.
ERMI and HERTSMI are the most reliable. Self order, follow the instructions

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 9:10 pm
does any home NOT have mold? or will these tests get a positive in any home?

Thanks, I was looking at the ERMI testing. More affordable than an entire home evaluation!!

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 9:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
does any home NOT have mold? or will these tests get a positive in any home?

Thanks, I was looking at the ERMI testing. More affordable than an entire home evaluation!!
some will definitely be negative. But even if positive, how bad you score makes a difference. And also which specific ones. And how symptomatic you are...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 1:22 pm
If we get a positive mold test, how do we know where the mold is? I know we keep track of the room the sampl was taken from but if the mold is not visible how do we go about finding it?

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 1:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If we get a positive mold test, how do we know where the mold is? I know we keep track of the room the sampl was taken from but if the mold is not visible how do we go about finding it?
I think you get a score, not just a positive or a negative. And figuring out the source is the whole tricky part. OP are you on FB? There are some great groups devoted to this.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 3:12 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I think you get a score, not just a positive or a negative. And figuring out the source is the whole tricky part. OP are you on FB? There are some great groups devoted to this.

Thanks. Do you know the names of the facebook groups?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 7:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Have you tested your house for mold? If yes please help:

did you do it with where you send in your own samples or you had someone come out and do the inspection? Did they find anything? Does anyone NOT have any mold in their home or is this the kind of thing where if you run a test you will find it everywhere?

Yes you’ll find it everywhere, especially in certain boroughs like Brooklyn. That’s what I was told by a top home inspectors. Please beware that mold inspectors are notoriously dishonest because they also are the only ones who do the remediation (removal of mold) so they’ll always tell you there’s mold. When we were looking to purchase a home, we called a mold inspector who said there was definitely a lot of mold and it needed total remediation. We later found out the sellers of that house had hired that same company previously, paid them for total mold remediation and actually showed us the invoice!

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jul 25 2020, 2:36 pm
Please check your heat/AC vents!

A friend of mine could not find mold anywhere in her home, but she's highly sensitive to it, and was getting sicker and sicker. Eventually, one of her cats who loves to sleep on an air vent DIED from lung failure.

She finally got a mold company in, and it turned out that her entire vent system was blowing mold through the entire house, due to a water leak that was completely invisible to outside inspection, as it was deep inside a wall.

She had to go live in her trailer for 6 months until her house was completely safe. That included ripping out and replacing carpets and drapes, new paint, and everything else.

B'H, she recovered and is back to her usual energetic self, but it was a close call.

Lots of good info here: https://blog.daveasprey.com/bl.....test/

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Jul 25 2020, 10:31 pm
There is mold everywhere. That's why you would get a score, to determine if mold levels are above the norm.

My relative was going nuts from a smell of urine in her home. There wasn't any immediate history of pets in the house. Eventually their handyman found mold in a crawl space, and once that was cleaned up the smell went away.

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Jul 25 2020, 10:54 pm
My relative did mold inpection before renting in lakewood because she is alergic. He just recomended a humidifier.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 12:29 am
a humidifier or an air purifier? wouldn't a humidifier make it MORE moldy?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics