Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Masks in schools in September
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

little neshamala

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:02 pm
I dont see how theyll realistically enforce mask wearing all day on elementary age kids...but im also really unhappy with the idea of my daughter and her 27 classmates stuffed into a clasroom with barely 2 feet distance from desk to desk. And then everyone goes home and mingles with all their siblings who had spent all day <2 ft apart with all of THEIR classmates and come back the next day again....I just dont like this at all.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:04 pm
Its like 50/50 when they can socially distance like playing sports , swimming, learning they dont have to wear it. When they are not able to socially distance they do like pick up, drop off. being in hallways etc. My guess is school will be similar.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:04 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
My kids are not wearing mask in camp bh.

I was just gonna ask are all the kids wearing masks in daycamp? Why are we talking about September? What’s the situation now where you live? Where I live in NY 99% of the kids are in daycamp without masks so I’m sure that in September the schools won’t require it either.

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:06 pm
little neshamala wrote:
I dont see how theyll realistically enforce mask wearing all day on elementary age kids...but im also really unhappy with the idea of my daughter and her 27 classmates stuffed into a clasroom with barely 2 feet distance from desk to desk. And then everyone goes home and mingles with all their siblings who had spent all day <2 ft apart with all of THEIR classmates and come back the next day again....I just dont like this at all.

If my kids had 27 in his class I would agree with you 100%. My boys have 19 which feels like a different world. Feels a little less scary when the classes are smaller.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:06 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
I was just gonna ask are all the kids wearing masks in daycamp? Why are we talking about September? What’s the situation now where you live? Where I live in NY 99% of the kids are in daycamp without masks so I’m sure school in September the schools won’t require it either.

I am in NY. Kids re on legal daycamps. There are no masks unless they go on a bus (officially.)

fleetwood

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:14 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
EXCUSE ME.
I actually do NEED to work but my families health comes first. I don't breathe when I wear a mask and I will not have my kids in masks every single day. I actually know the president of the school board where I live and they are trying to fight the mask wearing since they feel it's unsafe.
Anyways I doubt my kids schools will mandate it.

There's nothing unhealthy about wearing a mask! I hope my kids don't go to the same school as yours if they won't require masks.

little neshamala

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:15 pm
mha3484 wrote:
If my kids had 27 in his class I would agree with you 100%. My boys have 19 which feels like a different world. Feels a little less scary when the classes are smaller.

So my son has 19 kids in his class as oppoaed to my daugher's 27 but truthfully im not much more comforted. The desks are still close together, and the kids still go home to their siblings the same way each day, and come back again the next day. This is close mingling in its purest form

fleetwood

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:15 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
My kids are not wearing mask in camp bh.

Hope the camp doesn't get shutdown.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:16 pm
fleetwood wrote:

May I ask where you live?

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:18 pm
fleetwood wrote:

So far not. They do put on show for inspectors. Like masks on when they are there. But otherwise it’s business as usual.
When getting on and off busses they must wear. On the bus it depends on the driver. Most are not enforcing it.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:30 pm
I'm in queens and so far public schools and my dds schools are mandating masks all day. Realistically, I wonder how it will be enforced with little kids especially if they lose it ....but its safer with masks especially because even if there are 10 in a class, kids like to mingle and might not keep safe distance.....

My sons school didnt say if they are completely opening or doing remote yet.

I'm a teacher and dont know how I'll be able to manage talking/wearing mask all day. But, I know its safer and would not work without a mask. After "quarantining " from so many ppl, now to be exposed to everyone, I want to protect myself with a mask, no choice!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:34 pm
All of you moms who think wearing a mask is totally fine all day, have you ever spent all day with many kids, as in teaching in a school setting?
I honestly thinks it’s downright child abuse and I do realize and appreciate the severity of COVID.
Regardless if masks are mandated I think remote learning is a better alternative or ideally following the cohort model is is obviously a much better choice with obvious guidelines like spacing out the desks, better ventilation and increased hand washing etc;

Stars

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
All of you moms who think wearing a mask is totally fine all day, have you ever spent all day with many kids, as in teaching in a school setting?
I honestly thinks it’s downright child abuse and I do realize and appreciate the severity of COVID.
Regardless if masks are mandated I think remote learning is a better alternative or ideally following the cohort model is is obviously a much better choice with obvious guidelines like spacing out the desks, better ventilation and increased hand washing etc;

Exactly this. It’s not just “a little discomfort” when you have sensory issues and other stuff.

Actually I know what child abuse is up close.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:39 pm
Stars wrote:
Exactly this. It’s not just “a little discomfort” when you have sensory issues and other stuff.

Actually I know what child abuse is up close.

Happy to hear there are like minded moms who “ get” kids!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 12:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Which is why I really was pleased with my kids schools face shield thing.
Face shields are not ideal. But when each child is sitting at their desk, facing forward, even 3 feet apart, face shields are sufficient. When the kids have to get up from their seats, mingle, leave the classroom, then masks.

little neshamala

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:23 pm
And im not much comforted by mandatory hand sanitizing rules because all the studies show its transmitted primarily through the air. So im happy for them to do that but the man issue is respiratory transmission and I dont see a realistic way to prevent that.

fleetwood

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:37 pm
May I ask where you live?

New york. Why do you ask?

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:38 pm
I feel like people who are against masks don't understand science.

There's a reason to wear them, it's not some political stance, masks are effective in containing the spread of the virus.

We don't want elderly or people with pre existing conditions to die because it was uncomfortable to wear a mask.

This is a temporary discomfort to save lives.

fleetwood

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:39 pm
I was just gonna ask are all the kids wearing masks in daycamp? Why are we talking about September? What’s the situation now where you live? Where I live in NY 99% of the kids are in daycamp without masks so I’m sure that in September the schools won’t require it either.

Our NY school is requiring masks in September.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:48 pm
Much of camp is outdoors and most of the staff at camp is young but one of my grandchildren had a second grade teacher who was in her mid-eighties at the time. More than likely, teachers over 60 will have to retire but common sense isn't common.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics