Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Masks in schools in September
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 6:09 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I really can't breathe in a mask. I start to feel like I'm going to faint if I have it on longer than 20 minutes. I really don't know how kids wear it all day. It seems it effects different people differently. My daughter wears it all day in school and says it's no big deal for her, but I worry about her breathing in her own carbon dioxide for so many hours a day. Don't forget this has never been done before, we don't know what the long term effects will be for children who wear masks for so many hours. I hope we all stay safe. Breathing in recycled air for hours sounds like it can be damaging over time. I don't like it.

You feel like you're going to faint but you don't. It's in your head. It is a good opportunity to teach your kids that your mind is your greatest enemy or your greatest friend.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 6:14 pm
My girls schools gave out masks to be Wien around their neck and to put on if and inspector comes!

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 6:21 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
My girls schools gave out masks to be Wien around their neck and to put on if and inspector comes!

That's great should we also use cellphones on Shabbos and put them away when someone sees? I mean go explain that to a kid.

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 6:30 pm
Thats a little bold, to compare a mask with chillul shabbos, don't you think?
Lots of schools aren't subjecting the kids to be masked all day.

icebreaker

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 6:39 pm
Yes, my kids’ school is requiring masks.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 7:30 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Thats a little bold, to compare a mask with chillul shabbos, don't you think?
Lots of schools aren't subjecting the kids to be masked all day.

No. Wearing something just in case an inspector comes is what I was commenting on. Not masks in general. If you have no masks then don't wear masks don't teach kids to lie.

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 7:44 pm
Mothers wrote:
For those who think it’s abusive and/or can’t be done - watch this:

https://vimeo.com/454856418

This depressed me. Especially the kids playing outdoors with masks.

I hope we can all get out of this whole. Some if the kids genuinely dislike it and it has nothing to do with whether or not their parents are ok with it.

My son has the plastic cubicle. It's awful. There is a glare from the lighting and the windows and so he sees his own reflect and whatever is behind him in his plastic cubicle. It's a terrible distraction.

amother
Navy

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 7:53 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:

I hope we can all get out of this whole. Some if the kids genuinely dislike it and it has nothing to do with whether or not their parents are ok with it.

My son has the plastic cubicle. It's awful. There is a glare from the lighting and the windows and so he sees his own reflect and whatever is behind him in his plastic cubicle. It's a terrible distraction.

Why does it depress you to see children happily learning or playing?They’re okay with it, why aren’t you?

Signed,
Someone who personally knows many of the children in the video

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 8:01 pm
Glad to see our kids happy and wearing masks if necessary; however, they do not like it which I understand and I do find it quite sad that the situation necessarily requires it. Not rocket science no one is happy about Covid!!!

Helps to put yourself in the kids' shoes -- their lives have really been disrupted as well.

Yes they need to do it; however, a little empathy goes a long way.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 8:14 pm

Honestly kids only care if their parents complain about it. Kids shouldn't ever hear parents complain. Kids whose parents have positive attitide grow up to be healthy and positive and not depressed and able to face challenges. Don't be depressed about an uo beat video or talk about the glare for the sake of your son.

themom

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 8:58 pm
For anyone against wearing masks in school, you may want to read this. My son started school two weeks ago and last week, a boy in his class tested positive for Covid. The class was immediately sent home to be quarantined for a few days, and then they were all tested. BH, since they have been strictly wearing masks in school, the tests came back negative, and they are able to go back to school.
As far as the discomfort of wearing masks all day, I think the kids are getting used to it a lot quicker than the adults!

amother
Magenta

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 9:09 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Honestly kids only care if their parents complain about it. Kids shouldn't ever hear parents complain. Kids whose parents have positive attitide grow up to be healthy and positive and not depressed and able to face challenges. Don't be depressed about an uo beat video or talk about the glare for the sake of your son.

I don't talk about it. But I am depressed about this and I am allowed to feel that way. And my children are healthy and positive and even have a sense of humor about the whole thing.

I am still allowed to feel that whatever music you pipe and speed you play the video at. There are things that a teacher cannot communicate withiut their whole face showing. Or a kid cannot understand through the muffle of the mask.

It is what it is. But it is not ideal and it is not wonderful. It's just a necessity of life right now.

Amd again. Not all kids are the same. And some kids don't like it. And even if their parents think it's amazing and hope we keep this practice forever... They don't like it. Because children are also entitled to their feelings and opinions.

Mothers

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 9:44 pm
I don't talk about it. But I am depressed about this and I am allowed to feel that way. And my children are healthy and positive and even have a sense of humor about the whole thing.

I am still allowed to feel that whatever music you pipe and speed you play the video at. There are things that a teacher cannot communicate withiut their whole face showing. Or a kid cannot understand through the muffle of the mask.

It is what it is. But it is not ideal and it is not wonderful. It's just a necessity of life right now.

Amd again. Not all kids are the same. And some kids don't like it. And even if their parents think it's amazing and hope we keep this practice forever... They don't like it. Because children are also entitled to their feelings and opinions.

I don’t know anybody who is happy that we need to wear masks or anyone who hopes we keep this practice forever, but agreeing that it may be uncomfortable and less than ideal does not mean that is abusive or something to be depressed about. As you correctly note, it is an unfortunate necessity of life - for now - but it will not last forever. If we approach it positively and and matter-of-factly, most kids will take it in stride. (Kids tend to be much more adaptable than adults.) We can empathize with our kids, while still giving over the message that suffering temporary discomfort for the greater good (of ourselves and others) is one of our core values, and in addition to possible saving lives, we will raise mature, giving, unselfish individuals - of whom we can all be proud.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 12:56 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
What a wonderful lesson in chinuch. Can't Believe It Banging head
Awful way to teach kids how to uphold the law and to follow directions.
This is not a positive thing at all. This is teaching the kids something very very wrong.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 1:12 am
I teach in a school system with 2,000 + students. My kids are in a school with 500+ students. We have been back at school for a month. All students ages 4+ are required to wear masks unless outside for snack/lunch while social distanced. There has been no reports of adverse health effects due to mask wearing by any of these 2500 kids ages 4-18.

My own kids are so thrilled to be back at school, mask or not.

My students are thrilled to be back at school.

Stop being so dramatic everyone.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 1:41 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
I teach in a school system with 2,000 + students. My kids are in a school with 500+ students. We have been back at school for a month. All students ages 4+ are required to wear masks unless outside for snack/lunch while social distanced. There has been no reports of adverse health effects due to mask wearing by any of these 2500 kids ages 4-18.

My own kids are so thrilled to be back at school, mask or not.

My students are thrilled to be back at school.

Stop being so dramatic everyone.

...Yet!
This is all very new.
I hope all the children will be ok. To the mother who said that because I only feel faint and don't actually faint thinks therefore it's all in my head: I don't faint because I sit down and lower my mask and breathe. I've gotten very dizzy and nauseous from it. It's so interesting that if something doesn't effect somone personally, then they assume that it must not be real. It must be all in "her head". I've never had seasonal allergies but im sure that those have them are not faking it. You are lucky you breathe so easily in a mask. Some people really struggle with it.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 1:47 pm
I'm teaching in a mask and my students are wearing masks. It's only been two days but really hasn't been a big deal. I expected it to me much worse. It's really sweaty and gross, I sometimes feel like my expression is lost on the kids and quieter kids are hard to hear but otherwise it's not bad

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 5:25 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
...Yet!
This is all very new.
I hope all the children will be ok. To the mother who said that because I only feel faint and don't actually faint thinks therefore it's all in my head: I don't faint because I sit down and lower my mask and breathe. I've gotten very dizzy and nauseous from it. It's so interesting that if something doesn't effect somone personally, then they assume that it must not be real. It must be all in "her head". I've never had seasonal allergies but im sure that those have them are not faking it. You are lucky you breathe so easily in a mask. Some people really struggle with it.

You said you "feel like you're going to faint."
I want to know what will happen if you keep the mask down and don't sit down? Will you faint? Then you are part of the 1 or 2% of people who have a medical condition that is not compatible with masks? But for 98% of people, no matter how they feel in the mask (including dizzy, etc.) it is just that - a feeling.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:56 pm
Great idea!
I'll just keep on walking around even though I'm dizzy and nauseous and out of breath. I'll just push through even though the room is spinning and I can't hold myself up. I'll just keep pushing through and see what happens.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics