Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
S/O Bungalow colonies...
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:29 pm
Am I the only one who doesn’t like it? Like at all? The whole atmosphere of the kids running around unsupervised all summer, ladies sitting around, eating loads of junk food, no structure or rules, husbands in the city all week... etc etc don’t need to go into everything.

I definitely understand the need for vacation and relaxing time. Def understand that summer is a time to unwind and be on a lighter schedule- but don’t get the bungalow thing.

Reading diff threads about how grown adults play games, don’t feel the need to ever cook a normal meal, let the kids run free without a bedtime or any schedule, leave their kids sleeping alone at nights bec the bungalow is “right there” and how the atmosphere is like high school. Anyone else think it’s going a bit too far? Or am I missing something 🤷🏼‍♀️

BTW- I’m not trying to bash, just genuinely interested/curious what others feel.

rae

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:34 pm
I never got it either. This is the first summer it’s calling to me. Just the thought of being somewhere, rid of the whole Covid mentality and getting to sit by a pool while my kids are entertained. ... I wish!!!

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:36 pm
I like structure, routine, schedules. I think I would enjoy the bungalow for a week or two but a full summer would get to be too much for me.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:37 pm
Nope not for me. I don’t at all live in luxury but I don’t get living in dreck, with zero privacy at all appealing. Nothing about bungalow colony life is for me

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:39 pm
People who live in the city like the fact that the kids have a place to run around but there is lots of drama between the adults. A lot of the drama involves fights between the kids.

cuffs

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:42 pm
Sounds like a dream to me. Kids entertained all day, a pool with separate hours, friends to shmooze...

giselle

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:42 pm
Not my thing at all, and I can’t comprehend it, but I guess enough people like it, as there seem to be many full colonies.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:45 pm
this is the first summer were renting after crashing family for the past 3 summers. I'm not there for the social scene (older than me. And I have computer work to do) but boy am I looking forward to have my kids run free rhe whole day - and they're only 3 and 1.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:49 pm
southernbubby wrote:
People who live in the city like the fact that the kids have a place to run around but there is lots of drama between the adults. A lot of the drama involves fights between the kids.

I know! Why would anyone want to go back to high school politics Can't Believe It

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:51 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I like structure, routine, schedules. I think I would enjoy the bungalow for a week or two but a full summer would get to be too much for me.

Totally! I think 1 or 2 weeks can be nice but 8+ full weeks of nothingness can never lead to good things... and how do the parent gets their kids back to normal after the summer is over?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:54 pm
Aren't there day camps for kids?

tweety1

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:55 pm
southernbubby wrote:

The last line you couldn't have said it any better! If parents wouldn't mix into every stupid fight kids have they'd be alot less fights between adults!! Not only in the country but in the city too.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 1:58 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Aren't there day camps for kids?

I think there are only for the little kids. (Up to age 6/7 or so?) that what’s I’ve heard from a few main bungalows. And either way they have very short hours- I think until 2ish. After that the kids roam free literally til midnight!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 2:02 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
this is the first summer were renting after crashing family for the past 3 summers. I'm not there for the social scene (older than me. And I have computer work to do) but boy am I looking forward to have my kids run free rhe whole day - and they're only 3 and 1.

Just my thoughts...
I think with little kids it’s not as bad since you are in charge of their schedule and will make sure they are fed, have their baths, bedtime etc.
Once the kids get older 7,8,9 + ... that’s the prob.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 2:04 pm
I agree with most of what your saying.

Not everyone lets their ids be up all hours, stuff their face with junk food and stay up to all hours of the night playing games.

It’s up to each individual to make the experience work for them.

I, for one, am there with my husband. Enjoy the fresh air and company. Insist my kids go to bed on time...

It is a perfect family vacation for a large heimish family. We used to take Road trips before going to the bungalow. Everyone was counting my kids, I was on high alert if my toddler tantrumed in a public place not to make a chilul Hashem. Etc. In the colony, no one blinks when there is a kid having a tantrum, they’ve all been through it.

I wish for all those that want it, to be able to afford it. It is very expensive.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 2:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think there are only for the little kids. (Up to age 6/7 or so?) that what’s I’ve heard from a few main bungalows. And either way they have very short hours- I think until 2ish. After that the kids roam free literally til midnight!

My DD is the camp director of a large bungalow camp that operates from 10 to 4 and offers activities at night and on Shabbos but kids still have time to run around unattended and collect slimy amphibians after hours. Nobody eats dinner because the ice cream truck shows up at dinner time.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 2:09 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
I agree with most of what your saying.

Not everyone lets their ids be up all hours, stuff their face with junk food and stay up to all hours of the night playing games.

It’s up to each individual to make the experience work for them.

I, for one, am there with my husband. Enjoy the fresh air and company. Insist my kids go to bed on time...

It is a perfect family vacation for a large heimish family. We used to take Road trips before going to the bungalow. Everyone was counting my kids, I was on high alert if my toddler tantrumed in a public place not to make a chilul Hashem. Etc. In the colony, no one blinks when there is a kid having a tantrum, they’ve all been through it.

I wish for all those that want it, to be able to afford it. It is very expensive.

Wow you sound like an amazing mother! I completely agree with your experience, and you guys must have a really nice summer! What I was talking about is the total abandon of responsibility by both parents and children (which unfortunately is way more common then having an awesome momma like you)

lilies

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 2:13 pm
I've noticed that the people enjoying it most are those that are in the same stage of life, and circumstances as a group.
If I would offer you a decent home to go to, along with a couple of good friends - each in their own home, and add grass and a pool to the mix, would you not enjoy yourself?
If you don't fit within that specific colony's structure and culture, there's a chance you're not getting the full experience. If you do fit, you might see why people really enjoy it!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 2:14 pm
southernbubby wrote:
My DD is the camp director of a large bungalow camp that operates from 10 to 4 and offers activities at night and on Shabbos but kids still have time to run around unattended and collect slimy amphibians after hours. Nobody eats dinner because the ice cream truck shows up at dinner time.

Wow. I’m sure she does an amazing job! 🤗

mizle10

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 2:18 pm
What I love about it?

My kids have a level of freedom they can’t have in the city, and it’s such wholesome fun! It’s catching frogs and building treehouses and having outdoor races. I don’t need to enforce bedtime because there’s no rush to be up in the morning.
Because my bungalow is so small housework is minimal, I have the time to just shmooze in the sun with my friends, go swimming, or just read a book in my bungalow by myself.
I let myself indulge in foods I don’t normally eat because, hey, it’s vacation! The suppers I make are easy, chicken on the grill, quick one pan suppers and occasionally grilled cheese or macaroni.
I don’t see my husband much here, but he is a always so busy at home. When he’s here he’s completely disconnected and we get to really bond as a couple and as a family!

Did I cover everything you don’t like? Wink
It’s a matter of personality and the way you look at it. No ones forcing you to go, but for the ones that truly enjoy it it’s the highlight of the year and the best memories to look back on.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics