Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Manicure

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 8:18 pm
This may sound weird but I’ve never gotten a manicure. How does it work? Do you have to tip and if yes how much?

shmosmom

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 9:05 pm
Just go in and get one done. It's no big deal (although I know the first time can feel like one).
I tip 20% which I think is average, so $12 on a $10 job. If it's $12 then a 20% tip would be 14 and change so I give $15.
My mani pedi is $38 so I give $45.
Enjoy Smile

Also, if you're doing polish try to remember to wear gloves while doing dishes. Also, if you're swimming in a pool with chlorine it can sometimes chip regular polish.
Buy nail polish remover in advance so you don't have to walk around with chipped nails until you get a chance to go back.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 9:10 pm
shmosmom wrote:
Just go in and get one done. It's no big deal (although I know the first time can feel like one).
I tip 20% which I think is average, so $12 on a $10 job. If it's $12 then a 20% tip would be 14 and change so I give $15.
My mani pedi is $38 so I give $45.
Enjoy Smile

Also, if you're doing polish try to remember to wear gloves while doing dishes. Also, if you're swimming in a pool with chlorine it can sometimes chip regular polish.
Buy nail polish remover in advance so you don't have to walk around with chipped nails until you get a chance to go back.

Perfect! Thanks so much for the info!

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jul 23 2020, 9:17 pm
Unless you will need to take it off before 2 weeks (mikvah or for whatever other reason may exist) I highly recommend paying a little extra to get gel or dip. It lasts much longer and as soon as they do it’s dried and can’t get messed up like regular can plus with regular you have to wait there after it’s done for a long time to make sure it’s dry.

cnc

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 4:46 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Unless you will need to take it off before 2 weeks (mikvah or for whatever other reason may exist) I highly recommend paying a little extra to get gel or dip. It lasts much longer and as soon as they do it’s dried and can’t get messed up like regular can plus with regular you have to wait there after it’s done for a long time to make sure it’s dry.

What’s dip?

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 5:49 am
cnc wrote:
What’s dip?

It's another form of a longer lasting manicure. They dip your fingers into little pots of what looks like a powder several times while prepping the nails. Some say it's less damaging than gel-- especially the removal process. No need to scrape the nails. My sister gets it done and it lasts beautifully (other than the growth on top which shows how old the manicure really is!). Lasts a month or so on her as well as my mom.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 6:31 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
It's another form of a longer lasting manicure. They dip your fingers into little pots of what looks like a powder several times while prepping the nails. Some say it's less damaging than gel-- especially the removal process. No need to scrape the nails. My sister gets it done and it lasts beautifully (other than the growth on top which shows how old the manicure really is!). Lasts a month or so on her as well as my mom.

Where do you have this done? Anywhere in Brooklyn I can request this?

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 6:46 am
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Where do you have this done? Anywhere in Brooklyn I can request this?

I don’t live in Brooklyn but any salon I’ve ever been to within the past year and half has dip.

cnc

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 6:51 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

Oh- most salons call it powder gel. I plan on trying it ....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics