Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Dr records oxygen levels while wearing SIX masks
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 8:09 am
https://nypost.com/2020/07/22/.....fine/

He wore 6 masks at once to prove your oxygen levels don't drop. Even with 6, they stayed constant, didnt drop at all.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 9:14 am
Yes! I am a healthcare worker, and I wear a mask all day. It feels stuffy and a little uncomfortable, but it is NOT dangerous! Everyone who is complaining and making up medical reasons to avoid wearing a mask should please get over themselves and do their part for the greater good.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 9:17 am
Breaking news: Everyone is different.

I get very very dizzy while wearing a mask. It affects my nervous system and my body starts shutting down.

I'm happy this particular doctor was able to function normally.
Maybe they can try the same shtick with someone who struggles with the mask. See what's happening with them and if there's some way to make it easier.

Saying BuT iT DoEsNt AfFeCt OxYgEn isn't actually helpful.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 9:21 am
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Breaking news: Everyone is different.

I get very very dizzy while wearing a mask. It affects my nervous system and my body starts shutting down.

I'm happy this particular doctor was able to function normally.
Maybe they can try the same shtick with someone who struggles with the mask. See what's happening with them and if there's some way to make it easier.

Saying BuT iT DoEsNt AfFeCt OxYgEn isn't actually helpful.

As a nurse, I am particulary interested to hear exactly how your body "shuts down".

I have met many many people who felt horribly anxious in their masks, felt dizzy, and were freaking out. When I showed them their pulse ox was reading normal, and helped them to do deep calming breathing, they felt better.

From a health peprspective, a medical standpoint, this doctor is demonstrating that wearing 6 masks, let alone 1, wont actually harm you

octopus

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 9:30 am
Walking the ward in your air conditioned hospitals wearing a mask is very different than running errands in the heat. When you test those conditions while wearing a mask let me know. That's a little more scientific. Don't you think?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 9:36 am
Masks and HEPA filters are depth filters, which are random meshes that impede the paths of particles. Impede does not mean stop. Push the particles long enough, and they will get through. Put enough particles into the filter, and they push through those ahead. One study showed that freshly opened surgical masks reduced the exhalation of bacteria by 75%, but after 120 minutes of use, a surgical mask no longer blocked bacteria, and after 150 minutes, a surgical mask exposed the patient to 50% more bacteria than no mask (https://www.ijic.info/article/view/10788). Change your filters, be they for masks, engines, oil, or water.

If soiled masks spray patients with bacteria, what about the lungs of the wearer? Ventilator-associated pneumonia is a leading cause of death. William Shatner tells you to clean your CPAP for a reason. The lungs normally expel bacteria, but when the ventilator or mask blocks them and sends them back in, people develop pneumonia. The research on self-inflicted pneumonia due to prolonged facial covering is scarce. The CDC recommends changing masks after every patient.

There is considerable research on ventilator associated pneumonia (VAP). The use of ventilators for COVID-19 is mind-boggling. Intubation carries about a 1% risk of pneumonia per day, and pneumonia carries a 20% fatality rate in the ICU. Put a COVID-19 patient on a ventilator for ten days, and that means a total risk of death of 2% from VAP, which is about half the risk of an ICU patient dying from COVID-19. CPAP-style ventilation has a tenth of the risk of intubation, but hospitals used intubation. Medicare pays a lot better for intubation than CPAP, and Congress sweetened the pot just for COVID-19.

Assuming that masks carry a similar risk to CPAP, wearing the same mask for an eight-hour workday carries a 0.03% chance per day of pneumonia. Multiply by five for a week, and then 0.2 for the chance of dying from pneumonia, and that produces a 0.03% chance per week of death due to wearing a mask at work. There are currently about 4 million retail sales workers, which would mean 1,200 excess pneumonia deaths per week caused by retail mask mandates. According to the CDC's data, thousands more people than normal are dying every week of pneumonia with no connection to COVID-19 (https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/index.htm). Point zero four percent is the estimated infection fatality rate for SARS-CoV-2 in people under 70. In this estimate, wearing a mask for a work week is about as dangerous as getting the "WuFlu."

At my workplace, 13% of the employees have complained to me about how unhealthy they feel wearing their masks. I have overheard retail workers complaining to coworkers about how they feel sick, burning in their lungs, and coughing because of their masks. Masks are the "sorry," not the "better safe." Those at greatest risk from the "WuFlu" venture out, unaware of the odorless death penetrating their masks. Those who are knowingly ill venture out, thinking their masks are protecting others. Wearing masks for hours at a time exposes the wearer's lungs to unhealthy levels of bacteria.
https://www.americanthinker.co......html

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 11:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
As a nurse, I am particulary interested to hear exactly how your body "shuts down".

I have met many many people who felt horribly anxious in their masks, felt dizzy, and were freaking out. When I showed them their pulse ox was reading normal, and helped them to do deep calming breathing, they felt better.

From a health peprspective, a medical standpoint, this doctor is demonstrating that wearing 6 masks, let alone 1, wont actually harm you
Since you're a nurse you should know better than me?

It never mattered until Covid but I have to be able to breathe regularly. For instance, my kids will ask me to "blow" on their food to cool it off. I can't do it, I get very dizzy and my surroundings start to blur. It's genetic, I have close relatives with the same issue.

This doctor was able to stand upright. I'd be on the floor.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 11:53 am
I'm pregnant. Breathless enough as is. With a mask, forget it.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 11:59 am
People are selfish, self absorbed, and self centered. They don't care about others and the Klal. I am a snowflake and can't breath. .......
They just don't want to wear a mask. It is not comfortable for anyone and some people are just too special to need to.

RN who posted above, thank you. It is hard and I appreciate all that you do.
I too wear an N95 with a surgical mask over, a cap over my hair covering, a plastic gown over my clothes and double gloves in an are with poor ventilation and little air conditioning. I survive. It is much easier to run errands than be at work, but it is even easier to do what you want and complain!

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 12:16 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
People are selfish, self absorbed, and self centered. They don't care about others and the Klal. I am a snowflake and can't breath. .......
They just don't want to wear a mask. It is not comfortable for anyone and some people are just too special to need to.
And some people are too self-centered to realize that not everyone’s body works the same way. I haven’t been able to go anywhere in months because my body can’t handle the mask. I’m stuck ordering everything in. That’s what I need to do for my and everyone else’s safety. To call me a “special snowflake” and insist that I’m making this up is flat out wrong.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 12:25 pm
I haven't gone anywhere either. Get over it. Last week was the first week I was at a store since before Pesach. I have high risk family and patients and if people can't follow rules, I can't take the risk of exposing the people whose health is in my hands.

I walk around quite streets in the heat to get some exercise.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 12:41 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I haven't gone anywhere either. Get over it.
Get over what?

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 12:56 pm
Something smells like a rotten fish here. My oxgen level was tested by my doctor's office 90 with the mask and 99 without. Uummmm Rolling Eyes

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 1:02 pm
This doctor did not demonstrate that masks do not affect oxygen absorption, he demonstrated that his lungs can compensate for the obstacle and maintain his normal oxygen level despite them, like any healthy person's lungs.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 1:05 pm
People are self-centered because they feel they can't breathe???
If this wasnt serious it would be comedy.
Nurses and drs saying that our ability to breathe doesnt matter because other people need to breathe makes you lose all credibility and respect.
Keep wearing 6 masks all day and night though if it makes you feel good about yourselves. Actually why only 6 masks, 10 masks would be much healthier. Step up on the pedestal, let's see who's the winner. How many masks for how many hours. The higher the pedestal the more you're allowed to be condescending to people who feel they can't breathe. Except if a black person says it.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 1:08 pm
Masks are absolutely necessary, and they are not dangerous or harmful. However, this "experiment" is not valid proof of that.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 1:23 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:

Exactly. I can barely push the wagon around as it is. With a mask, I’m finished.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 1:44 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:

Same situation. Being pregnant in this heat waves and humidity levels plus wearing a mask and doing errands with bags or stroller. Try it out. Let me know how you feel.

iyar

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 1:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
https://nypost.com/2020/07/22/doc-wears-6-masks-to-prove-oxygen-level-will-be-just-fine/

He wore 6 masks at once to prove your oxygen levels don't drop. Even with 6, they stayed constant, didnt drop at all.

Very nice. I bet he can also run a mile in 8 minutes with 5 lb weights on each ankle without getting breathless. I bet a lot of people can. Does that mean I can? Does it mean I'm a snowflake if I can't?
The problem with a lot of the scientific studies we're reading in coronavirus times is that they're most decidedly unscientific. And very often false.

octopus

Post Fri, Jul 24 2020, 1:50 pm
I'm sick and tired of people claiming to be in the medical field and posting in an extremely nasty manner (Name calling, etc. ) during this whole covid thing. I do wear a mask in public but I don't believe this garbage that it doesn't affect breathing under any circumstances. Why do you think anyone who disagrees with you isn't wearing the mask? Why do you have to be so nasty? Why is it so common to have the nastiness trait when in the medical field?? Maybe that's something to think about.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics