Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Can Americans travel to France from the UK?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 5:46 pm
Americans are not allowed to travel to France because of the travel restrictions. If I were to fly to the UK and quarantine for 14 days can I then enter France with a US passport?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 4:00 am
Can anyone please give me advise if you have dealt with this issue on how to go about it.

exaustedmom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 4:13 am
Why dont you ask a travel agent? They are probably up to date with the travel restrictions

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 5:13 am
Unfortunately some travel agents are not very honest. When you are in it for the money you will say anything to make a sale.

I was hoping that someone had a experience with this issue.

nchr

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 5:25 am
AFAIK travel restrictions do not apply to the PASSPORT but the location you are flying in from, and they will check where you have been previously. Just keep in mind though that it is an evolving situation so there is mo guarentee that France will not place travel restrictions on the UK. You can also call the embassy.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 5:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Americans are not allowed to travel to France because of the travel restrictions. If I were to fly to the UK and quarantine for 14 days can I then enter France with a US passport?

Read what you wrote. Americans are not allowed to travel to France. Wanting to circumvent this by coming into the U.K. first doesn’t change the restrictions. The rest of the EU is quite likely to change the rules allowing people to come in from the U.K. England really hasn’t got a handle on the virus and it would make sense to restrict entry from there.

Why travel at all? The risk of contracting something in the plane or airport doesn’t seem worth it to me.

nchr

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 5:41 am
FYI it appears travelers from the UK need a 2 week quarentine..

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 5:48 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Why travel at all? The risk of contracting something in the plane or airport doesn’t seem worth it to me.

This! Seriously, unless it's a very urgent family event (wedding / funeral) stay at home! My mom lives in Europe and said Americans have been flooding her part of the country, lying about quarantining and causing the covid cases to leap up again. It's so unnecessary!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 5:56 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Read what you wrote. Americans are not allowed to travel to France. Wanting to circumvent this by coming into the U.K. first doesn’t change the restrictions. The rest of the EU is quite likely to change the rules allowing people to come in from the U.K. England really hasn’t got a handle on the virus and it would make sense to restrict entry from there.

The reason Americans are not allowed to travel to the EU is because of the increased covid-19 cases. If I were to quarantine 14 days then there should be no issues.

I would assume its based on where you were traveling in the last 14 days and not your nationality.

Traveling to the UK and quarantining should allow me to travel to France logically speaking. Anything can change but I don’t live my life on possibilities. That would be too depressing.

I will take all the necessary precautions and the rest is in Hashems hands.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 5:58 am
Travel from uk to France requires a 14 day quarantine as well. And keep in mind uk is no longer part of the EU so very good chance they could be banned.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 6:04 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Travel from uk to France requires a 14 day quarantine as well. And keep in mind uk is no longer part of the EU so very good chance they could be banned.

France does not require a quarantine for UK residents. They are still technically part of the EU until December 31, 2020.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-tra.....ments

Raisin

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 6:08 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:

UK is still in the EU until December. And restrictions have nothing to do with being in the EU, its simply about number of cases.

OP, you may very well be correct in that you can quarantine in a country that lets you in, and then travel on to France. I don't see anything wrong in doing that. (But PLEASE quarantine!) My relative is doing that the other way round to get to the USA - quarantining for 2 weeks in a country the USA is allowing entry from.

The situation is fluid and is changing daily.

nchr

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 6:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
France does not require a quarantine for UK residents. They are still technically part of the EU until December 31, 2020.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-tra.....ments

https://mobile.interieur.gouv......oyage

According to this UK travelers need a 2 week quarentine. Is this old info?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 6:17 am
The criteria to determine the third countries for which the current travel restriction should be lifted cover in particular the epidemiological situation and containment measures, including physical distancing, as well as economic and social considerations. They are applied cumulatively.

Regarding the epidemiological situation, third countries listed should meet the following criteria, in particular:

number of new COVID-19 cases over the last 14 days and per 100 000 inhabitants close to or below the EU average (as it stood on 15 June 2020)

stable or decreasing trend of new cases over this period in comparison to the previous 14 days

overall response to COVID-19 taking into account available information, including on aspects such as testing, surveillance, contact tracing, containment, treatment and reporting, as well as the reliability of the information and, if needed, the total average score for International Health Regulations (IHR). Information provided by EU delegations on these aspects should also be taken into account.

Reciprocity should also be taken into account regularly and on a case-by-case basis.

https://www.consilium.europa.e.....ries/

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 6:20 am
nchr wrote:
https://mobile.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestation-de-deplacement-et-de-voyage

According to this UK travelers need a 2 week quarentine. Is this old info?

Yes.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/ww.....3famp

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 7:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The reason Americans are not allowed to travel to the EU is because of the increased covid-19 cases. If I were to quarantine 14 days then there should be no issues.

I would assume its based on where you were traveling in the last 14 days and not your nationality.

Traveling to the UK and quarantining should allow me to travel to France logically speaking. Anything can change but I don’t live my life on possibilities. That would be too depressing.

I will take all the necessary precautions and the rest is in Hashems hands.

Why do you need to travel at all? Note I say NEED versus want. FWIW, I have both an EU and USA passport and have just rescheduled my fabulous pre-booked 2020 vacation for 2021. This is because I will not travel to these countries at the moment. Unless you really NEED to go versus want, the selfless thing would be to not travel. The U.K. has enough issues without people flying in from the States. You may leave the States Covid free, but a lot can happen between your home airport, airplane and LHR. And that is before you step into France.

Would you really 100% quarantine in the U.K., not even going out to get groceries or a walk in the park? Given that you are prepared to fly internationally on a plane with no thought of the consequences, I find it hard to believe you would actually quarantine. But if you did, talk about depressing. England has a lot of Covid cases and they are starting to rise again in Jewish areas. You would need to get your groceries delivered if you are quarantining and that would constrain where you could rent a place.

Nationality and where you have visited are both considered. For example, I can go freely into the USA as a US citizen even though I live in a country which cannot currently travel to the USA. I have chosen not to despite the amazing USA vacation I had booked. Just because you can, doesn’t mean it is always the best thing to do.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 7:35 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Why do you need to travel at all? Note I say NEED versus want. FWIW, I have both an EU and USA passport and have just rescheduled my fabulous pre-booked 2020 vacation for 2021. This is because I will not travel to these countries at the moment. Unless you really NEED to go versus want, the selfless thing would be to not travel. The U.K. has enough issues without people flying in from the States. You may leave the States Covid free, but a lot can happen between your home airport, airplane and LHR. And that is before you step into France.

Would you really 100% quarantine in the U.K., not even going out to get groceries or a walk in the park? Given that you are prepared to fly internationally on a plane with no thought of the consequences, I find it hard to believe you would actually quarantine. But if you did, talk about depressing. England has a lot of Covid cases and they are starting to rise again in Jewish areas. You would need to get your groceries delivered if you are quarantining and that would constrain where you could rent a place.

Nationality and where you have visited are both considered. For example, I can go freely into the USA as a US citizen even though I live in a country which cannot currently travel to the USA. I have chosen not to despite the amazing USA vacation I had booked. Just because you can, doesn’t mean it is always the best thing to do.

While I appreciate your response You have no idea why I am going. I asked a question regarding travel not an opinion if you think its ok. I will follow all the local laws and regulations.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 7:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
While I appreciate your response You have no idea why I am going. I asked a question regarding travel not an opinion if you think its ok. I will follow all the local laws and regulations.

Why ask a bunch of random women on the Internet? Even if we know the exact regulations now, these are changing all the time. The best place to consult is with the embassies of the countries you plan to travel in.

Nothing but ESSENTIAL travel is allowed. Those are the “local laws and regulations” at the moment.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 8:26 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Why ask a bunch of random women on the Internet? Even if we know the exact regulations now, these are changing all the time. The best place to consult is with the embassies of the countries you plan to travel in.

Nothing but ESSENTIAL travel is allowed. Those are the “local laws and regulations” at the moment.

Because I wanted to ask a bunch of women.
Thank you.

ggdm

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 10:28 am
Maybe PM Ruchel, she's from France and may be able to help you find the specific regulations.

Each European country has complete control over its own entry regulations and they may change at any point on very short notice. UK is also not considered a safe region in my country. I'm not sure if it would be better or worse to come directly from the US. In your place I'd try the web page of the US embassy in France or French embassy in the US.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics