Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kitchen tips/hacks - funny edition
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 7:47 pm
Make sure the hand blender is unplugged before you clean it. I was washing the blade with my finger under the water while I pressed the ON button with my other hand .... we wanted techina for Shabbos not blended finger.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 7:51 pm
Don’t try to lift a container (say pickles or hot peppers) by the cover, while thinking “I hope it’s closed.” If your thinking that it probably isn’t. Trust me! Can't Believe It

silverlining3

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 8:03 pm
Ideal to make a reminder for Friday afternoon to put your fridge/freezer on Shabbas mode. Otherwise you might end up like me. A week after a neighbor said she forgot to put hers on Shabbas mode, and I talked big that, na, a year in and never happened to me, big time I forgot! Oh, and after opening, omg, the light stayed on! Slam shut!

ETA- on that note, if you have the freezer on top, when you slam the fridge door, the freezer door can often pop open. Double-check the door

Last edited by silverlining3 on Sun, Jul 26 2020, 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 8:09 pm
I love this thread! Thanks for starting it. Makes me feel so validated that I'm not the only one who does these kind of things Can't Believe It
On that note... If you're going to hide your dirty Friday night dishes in the oven, because you don't want to wash them up in cold water, but you also don't want your shabbos lunch guests to walk into a kitchen full of dirty dishes... Make sure to take the dishes out of the oven before you turn it on on motzei shabbos. If you forget, the smell of burning plastic should hopefully remind you, as the lid to your container slowly melts on the oven grate TMI

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 8:22 pm
On the same note, if your toaster oven is within reach of children, ALWAYS check before you turn it on. Otherwise the remnants of a fully cooked plastic hamburger bun (now yellow puddle) will haunt you every single time you make something.

Additionally, if your (unplugged) crock pot is within reach of children, check EVERY. SINGLE. Erev Shabbos to make sure it is still set on low. Otherwise your cholent will not cook. Don't ask me how I know that. (And please don't ask how many times I re-discovered this hack.)

And if you put pasta in a ziplock bag, double and triple (and quadruple) check to make sure the bag is fully zipped. Otherwise you will end up with an unscheduled fridge cleaning.

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 8:47 pm
These are hysterical!! And so helpful!!

Here's some of mine off the top of my head:
- ice cream goes in the freezer, not the fridge, unless you like ice cream soup
- highly perishable items belong in the fridge, not the pantry, unless you enjoy eau de rot
- plugging appliances in before attempting to use them does wonders! Niflaos HaBorei!

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 8:52 pm
Love the plugging things in hack! Such a time saver really.

I also like to periodically throw out old food from the fridge. Helps keep things smelling nice in there and avoids the future horrific messes of mold and who knows what. That's a hack I should utilize more often

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 8:57 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
When you shake up the Orange juice bottle, make sure the cap is screwed tight!

Aaahhhh! I shook oj all over this morning. Smile Too bad you didn't write this last night!

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:05 pm
Don't put seltzer bottles into freezer to cool off just for a bit.....

HeartyAppetite

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:13 pm
When you get takeout make sure you don’t put the food in the plastic containers, in your oven to keep it warm! Unless you like melted plastic!

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:31 pm
When boiling water for chicken soup, don't fill the pot with water till the top, to avoid flooding when dropping in the chicken and vegetables!

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:39 pm
When your kids make pancakes using flour from the fancy oxo container placing it in the middle of a butter, milk mess, you might consider it milchig afterwards. (I learned this from a friend)

If your child opens the dryer to get something mid cycle and you come hours later...your clothes might be damp and smelly.

If you come home tired after a long day of work check your bags before you go to sleep. Better to find the bottle of milk that you bought for breakfast now than all spoiled in the morning.

If you want to be able to answer the phone (not cell, silly). Then look behind the couch, in the desk drawer, under the bed, behind the toilet for all the units and let them rest on their base.

A great tip for keeping the house smelling nice...is taking out the garbage! So simple:)

preciousmommy

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:45 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Make sure the hand blender is unplugged before you clean it. I was washing the blade with my finger under the water while I pressed the ON button with my other hand .... we wanted techina for Shabbos not blended finger.

I am extremely paranoid about this. When I’m making potato kugel in the processor, I unplug every time I go near the blade. I’ve heard too many stories Surprised

One thing I’ve learned (or perhaps should have by now) is not to carry too many things at once. It seems like a time saver, but it takes much longer to clean up all the spices you’ve dropped and spilled Can't Believe It

avrahamama

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:47 pm
Let your toddler get involved in the kitchen. Screaming ball and throwing eggs is a great way to find out which ones were not boiled. Especially if you accidentally returned the boiled eggs to the egg container.

Bubby6

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:02 pm
When adding just a little more flour to a challah dough, put the lid on the mixer bowl before turning mixer back on. Inconvenient but worth while.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:06 pm
Don’t use tea in your soda stream. EXPLOSION!

Bubby6

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:21 pm
Don't drink pure lemon juice with seltzer.

Don't even try.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:27 pm
If you just mopped the floor get ready for a great big spill...of course it was a mistake Can't Believe It

soap suds

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:48 pm
When doing laundry, using detergent is recommended. Best if you add the detergent BEFORE running the cycle.

In case you forgot, you can always add detergent and run the cycle again, but make sure to actually turn the machine on.

Bonus points if you remember to transfer the load to the dryer before going to bed.

But if you didn’t, no biggie. Just wash, rinse, repeat. Literally.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 11:13 pm
soap suds wrote:
When doing laundry, using detergent is recommended. Best if you add the detergent BEFORE running the cycle.

In case you forgot, you can always add detergent and run the cycle again, but make sure to actually turn the machine on.

Bonus points if you remember to transfer the load to the dryer before going to bed.

But if you didn’t, no biggie. Just wash, rinse, repeat. Literally.

Brilliant advice! But I'd expect no less from your SN! LOL
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen