Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Salon hair Coloring in Nine Days

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:04 pm
I accidentally booked a hair coloring appointment for tomorrow instead of next week - is there a problem with a salon hair coloring during the 9 days?

TIA

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I accidentally booked a hair coloring appointment for tomorrow instead of next week - is there a problem with a salon hair coloring during the 9 days?

TIA

Yes there’s a problem. Most people don’t do it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:39 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Yes there’s a problem. Most people don’t do it.

Can you provide any more details? Is it a halachic problem? Or are you sharing what's done where you live or what you have observed people you know to do? Thanks again.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 11:45 pm
Bump

giselle

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 12:34 am
Why don’t you call your rav...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 12:38 am
giselle wrote:
Why don’t you call your rav...

It’s late Here in NY for that, was hoping to crowd source in case the answer was widely known... I’m new at this hair coloring thing so it hasn’t coming up before.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 12:44 am
You won't find a specific reference in the Shulchan Aruch, because it wasn't something that was done regularly then. I doubt you'll even find it in the Mishna Berurah.

The Nine Days are a period when we are are approaching the most tragic day in our history, and to we follow many of the laws that apply to a mourners. It could be loosely compared to the period of Shloshim after losing a parent. One of those laws is reducing personal grooming to the essential minimum. If we are barely allowed to shower, going for a hair colour appointment hardly sounds an appropriate thing to do.

The laws of the Nine Days aren't just to make us feel uncomfortable and miserable. Today it is hard for us to relate to the tragedy of the Churban. Following a gradually increasing level of mourning helps us to get into that mourning space. The external practice helps to make an impression and allow us in internally mourn. It probably wouldn't be anyones priority to get their hair coloured a few days after getting up from shiva - and also shouldn't be a priority just before Tisha b'Av.

Having said all that, ask your Rav for confirmation.

aliavi

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 12:48 am
Elfrida wrote:
You won't find a specific reference in the Shulchan Aruch, because it wasn't something that was done regularly then. I doubt you'll even find it in the Mishna Berurah.

The Nine Days are a period when we are are approaching the most tragic day in our history, and to we follow many of the laws that apply to a mourners. It could be loosely compared to the period of Shloshim after losing a parent. One of those laws is reducing personal grooming to the essential minimum. If we are barely allowed to shower, going for a hair colour appointment hardly sounds an appropriate thing to do.

The laws of the Nine Days aren't just to make us feel uncomfortable and miserable. Today it is hard for us to relate to the tragedy of the Churban. Following a gradually increasing level of mourning helps us to get into that mourning space. The external practice helps to make an impression and allow us in internally mourn. It probably wouldn't be anyones priority to get their hair coloured a few days after getting up from shiva - and also shouldn't be a priority just before Tisha b'Av.

Having said all that, ask your Rav for confirmation.

The only thing I would add is that it may be appropriate to consider the colorist’s potential financial loss from the appointment cancellation.

newcomer

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 1:05 am
aliavi wrote:
The only thing I would add is that it may be appropriate to consider the colorist’s potential financial loss from the appointment cancellation.

You can always reschedule.

aliavi

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 1:11 am
newcomer wrote:
You can always reschedule.

Of course. If OP doesn’t make her appointment and has to reschedule the colorist will have one empty appointment and potentially loose out from that time not being used. I addressed the halachic consideration of financial loss that a rav could potentially address if OP asked a sheila. The appointment later could be filled by OP or another paying customer it wouldn’t be additional income.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 8:53 pm
I called to reschedule and they were really lovely about the whole thing. Thanks for all your help.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:19 am
Kol HaKavod!

Its not always easy to do things like that, even when it is the right thing to do. Glad they were so helpful.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions