Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Which day of the week is your favorite?
1  2  Next

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 9:17 am
The thread "which day of the week is your worst" rubbed me very much the wrong way. Why focus on things you dislike? Why spread your misery? IME, even people who are fairly content turn into gripemeisters when one person starts complaining. That accomplishes...what?

True, we're in a period of intense national mourning, but mourning is not the same as complaining. Our deep sorrow over a specific event or condition does not mean that we have to complain about other things. If anything, such complaining trivializes the mourning. "Alas, alas, for the destruction of Jerusalem and our holy Temple, and BTW I hate Shabbos because it's so hard to keep the kids entertained." (We won't discuss the impropriety of saying you hate Shabbos, which is a separate issue.)

So, how about an antidote: What is your favorite day of the week and what makes it so? You don't need to be high-minded; if you love shabbat because it's the one day of the week that you can sleep in, don't feel that you have to write an essay about the kedusha that imbues everything from the teakettle to the hand towels. We all had enough of that in high school.

I love Shabbat because, among other things, a. I can't be forced to work overtime; b. I can't answer the phone only to find out it's a robocall from "cardmember services" "your utility company" "the extended warrantee on your vehicle" and so on; c. it's the only time I get to see the kids and grandkids; d. nobody sits at the table engaging in a deep meaningful relationship with a cell phone.

Your turn.

iamawesome

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 9:24 am
Monday. Blessed routine.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 9:26 am
Shabbos...I get to read and take a long nap
Sunday...I get to relax and do the things I enjoy doing while still having time to take care of the household

avrahamama

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 9:31 am
Shabbat. Because no one can send me any links to bad news because it's important I should be informed. And because there is a certain quiet in my house and my neighborhood that settles my soul.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 9:32 am
Tuesday. Shabbos and Sunday are great but very hectic and busy and unpredictable. Monday is catchup from the weekend. Tuesday is the first day of routine when I can breathe a little, and possibly even tackle a project or task that doesn't have to be done immediately. Plus, it's still far away enough from the next Shabbos that I don't feel like I have to start doing something for it.

Whenever I feel guilty about liking Tuesday more than Shabbos, I remember that Hashem said it was double good.

crust

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 9:37 am
Shabbos
Monday
Tuesday

naomi2

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 9:40 am
Friday
All the prep and hustle and bustle and then the relaxation and delicious food. Friday nights are the best

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 9:44 am
Shabbos. Lately I need the sleep and time away from my phone sooooo desperately.

I also like motzei Shabbos.

sneakermom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 9:52 am
Friday
I love to cook and bake for shabbos.

Shabbos
Is a day of no pressure and good afternoon nap

Sunday
Family day

Monday
Work

Tuesday
Work work work

Wednesday
Work work work

Thursday
Work work work

Ahh...Friday
Cook and bake:)

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 10:00 am
Friday night.

That blissful time after candle lighting when the aroma of the delicious foods I worked hard cooking all day spreads through my home.

Having all just showered and gotten dressed shabbosdig, we all look our pretty/handsome best.

Friday is so hectic so I usually forget to eat. I'm rather hungry by the time DH comes home from shul. So that meal tastes that bit more scrumptious on an empty stomach

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 10:14 am
When I was working full time at an office with a long commute and had small children, Wednesday was my favorite day.
By the time I arrived at work on Wednesday more than half the week had gone by. I considered getting up, getting everyone ready and out of the house to be the hardest part of the day. So by then, 3 out of 5 days were done.
These days, I work at home and my kids are bigger I like Sunday, Monday and Tuesday since I don't have to think about cooking for Shabbat yet. My evenings are more open to do things with the kids.

Rachel Shira

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 10:22 am
Is it just me or are all days the same right now? I love Shabbos but it’s not so easy with my little kids. Friday night is definitely my favorite time - with my quiet clean house and magazines...

silverlining3

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 10:46 am
I enjoy going out, which usually happens on Tuesday.

tweety1

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 10:47 am
Monday.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 11:21 am
Shabbos! Love being present with my family and not focusing on cleaning and cooking

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 11:25 am
Rachel Shira wrote:
Is it just me or are all days the same right now? I love Shabbos but it’s not so easy with my little kids. Friday night is definitely my favorite time - with my quiet clean house and magazines...

It is a genuine phenomenon. Without the external cues of the usual routine of going to school, work, the gym or whatever other regular, repeated activities you usually have, the days feel the same and you lose track of what day of the week it is. This is one reason why people in nursing homes or hospitals, even if they don't suffer from dementia, don't know what day of the week it is.

There's lot of covid-related humor on this topic, e.g. the days of the week are Someday, Oneday, Whoseday, Blendsday, Blursday, Whyday and Flatterday.

saralem

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 11:55 am
Shabbos! For me it’s the most relaxing wonderful day!

honeymoon

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 1:54 pm
Someday. That's when all my dreams, hobbies, errands and commitments will actually take place. Can't Believe It

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 3:39 pm
zaq wrote:
It is a genuine phenomenon. Without the external cues of the usual routine of going to school, work, the gym or whatever other regular, repeated activities you usually have, the days feel the same and you lose track of what day of the week it is. This is one reason why people in nursing homes or hospitals, even if they don't suffer from dementia, don't know what day of the week it is.

There's lot of covid-related humor on this topic, e.g. the days of the week are Someday, Oneday, Whoseday, Blendsday, Blursday, Whyday and Flatterday.

Oh and I always thought that was Fatterday! My mistake.
Monday is my favorite day of the week.
I wish I can say that it’s Shabbos though!

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 4:22 pm
Surplus wrote:
Oh and I always thought that was Fatterday!

LOL LOL LOL
That, too!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics