Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Sticky Ginger Roast Chicken

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 10:44 am
This was a nice variant for standard roast kitchen if you like Asian flavors. This Is inspired by the Korean cuisine although not a traditional dish - Korean American Fusion Very Happy

I did make the gochujang for the marinade during the week but you could sub Sriracha or other hot sauce although it wouldn't be quite the same as gochujang has a sweet element.

Since the marinade and the gochujang are made ahead, this was a simple dish to put in the oven and was a hit.

Sticky Ginger Roast Chicken

Excerpt From: Da-Hae and Gareth West - K Food.

Excerpt From: Da-Hae and Gareth West. “K Food.

2 onions
1 whole chicken, about 1.5kg (3lb 5oz)
50g (1¾oz) fresh root ginger, roughly sliced
4 whole garlic cloves
2 spring onions, trimmed and cut into thirds

MARINADE

5 tablespoons gochujang (Korean red chilli paste) - can sub with Sriracha
1-cm (½-inch) piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and very finely chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
150ml (¼ pint) ginger beer
2 tablespoons clear runny honey
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
½ tablespoon salt

1 Combine all the marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Slice the onions into 1-cm (½-inch) rounds and lay them on the bottom of a roasting tin.

2 Loosely stuff the cavity of the chicken with the ginger slices, garlic cloves and spring onions. Place the chicken in a large roasting tray and pour over half the marinade to cover, making sure to rub it into the creases of the wings and legs as well as the underside of the chicken. Then place the chicken into the roasting tin with the onions and transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for at least 1 hour.

3 When you are ready to cook, preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F), Gas Mark 5. Place the chicken tray on the middle shelf and roast for 1¼ hours, brushing it with a little of the remaining marinade every 10 minutes or so.

4 Remove the chicken from the oven and pour over any leftover marinade. Turn the oven up to 220°C (425°F), Gas Mark 7, return the chicken to the oven and roast for a further 10–15 minutes, until the skin is nicely golden and sticky and the chicken is cooked through (if it looks like it might be getting a bit too brown at any point, cover it loosely with aluminium foil and continue cooking).

5 Leave the chicken to rest for half an hour before carving. Serve with the onions, spooning a little of the sweet juices from the bottom of the roasting tin over each portion.

Cheater's Gochujang

* 1/2 cup white miso paste - I used Eden brand
* 1/4 cup light corn syrup (or substitute agave syrup or honey)
* 1/4 cup cayenne pepper, or less to taste
* 2 tablespoons mirin - can sub sake
* 1 tablespoon superfine sugar (or just blitz some granulated sugar in a blender or food processor until finely ground but not powdery), or more to taste - I blitzed in my mini cuisinart since I was using it for other ingredients. I did the sugar first and then minced the garlic.
* 1 garlic clove, minced

Stir together the miso, corn syrup, cayenne pepper, mirin, sugar, and garlic until well combined.
Decant the gochujang mixture into a clean jar or resealable container, cover, and stash it in the refrigerator for up to several weeks. The gochujang is fine to use immediately but if you wait several days the flavor will be more melded and nuanced.

Cookiegirl

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 10:58 am
Looks delicious! Thanks for always posting such interesting recipes, Amarante!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey