Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Tahini Bread Pudding With Vanilla Sauce

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 10:54 am
I subbed challah for the brioche since both are similar dense slightly sweet breads. Very easy and great way to use slightly stale challah

This actually is better if assembled the day before since the custard gets better absorbed into the bread. Nice Sunday brunch dish but it's good at any temperature although sauce does need to be warmed. You can gently reheat sauce of course in the microwave.

Tahini Bread Pudding With Vanilla Sauce

Excerpt From: Meseidy Rivera - Weeknight Gourmet Dinners

Adding tahini to the custard adds a creamy texture and gives this bread pudding a nutty flavor that cuts into the overt sweetness of typical bread pudding. Serve it warm with vanilla sauce and, if you are feeling extra indulgent, a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

SERVES 6 TO 8

Bread Pudding

Salted butter, for baking dish
1 loaf brioche bread, 1½” (4 cm) cubed (makes about 5 to 6 cups [250 to 300 g] of bread crumbs)
3 large eggs
2 cups (475 ml) whole milk
¼ cup (60 g) tahini
¼ cup (50 g) granulated sugar
¼ cup (60 ml) honey

Sauce

½ cup (112 g) salted butter (1 stick)
½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
½ cup (115 g) light brown sugar
½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream
1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla extract, or the seeds of 1 vanilla bean

Prepare the bread pudding

Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and butter a 4- to 6-cup (1- to 1.4-L) baking dish.

Spread out the cubed brioche in a single layer on a sheet pan and place it in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes, or until the brioche is lightly toasted and dry.

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, tahini, granulated sugar and honey to create a custard. Spread the toasted brioche cubes in the casserole dish and pour the custard over the bread.

Gently toss the brioche with the custard and let it sit for about 5 minutes to allow the bread to soak up the custard. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until set.

While the bread pudding bakes, prepare the sauce:

In a medium saucepan, combine the butter, white and brown sugars, heavy cream and vanilla. Whisk over medium heat until melted and smooth, then set aside.

Serve the bread pudding warm with the sauce.

NOTE:

The bread pudding can be assembled in advance. Cover the dish with plastic wrap, store it in the refrigerator overnight and then bake it the following morning.

Leftovers can be sliced and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It can be enjoyed cold, at room temperature or warmed.

Lets_Eat_Pie

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 10:58 am
I love tahini anything and this looks amazing. Smile

How do you think it would be with some frozen fruit (cherries?) mixed in and baked with the bread+ custard? Would it throw off the liquid ratios?

Amarante

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 11:03 am
Lets_Eat_Pie wrote:
I love tahini anything and this looks amazing. Smile

How do you think it would be with some frozen fruit (cherries?) mixed in and baked with the bread+ custard? Would it throw off the liquid ratios?

Maybe you could thaw the cherries and drain so that you minimize the liquid.

A bread pudding is - I think - more forgiving of changing up ingredients because it's not like a cake where you really need to have the correct "chemical" proportions.

At any rate, what do you have to lose because the worse that could happen is that it is more like a soft pudding with bread rather than a more solid type of kugel if you know what I mean. It would still taste good and you don't have to tell people that it was supposed to be more solid Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics