Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Please help! Metallic taste
1  2  Next

snowflake1

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 12:43 pm
Hi everyone, I am posting to see if anyone has something similar and perhaps can help my close friend. She had COVID about three months ago and has had a terrible metallic taste in her mouth. she can hardly eat anything. It even causes her to throw up does anyone have this? Does it go away? Is there anything that helps? She just went for full bloodwork to see if anything else is going on

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 1:04 pm
Some insight is starting to become available about this phenomenon. Read this article in its entirety, it's very informative.

https://www.businessinsider.co.....020-6

The horrible smell/taste is referenced (see quote below).

"Some coronavirus patients may start to regain their sense of smell as their olfactory neurons regenerate over the course weeks or months. These patients often develop "parosmia" — a distorted sense of smell — as they recover, which can turn otherwise pleasant aromas into foul odors like chemicals or burning."

There is olfactory training (smell/taste therapy) to regain sense of smell by Dr. Zara Patel, assistant professor of otolaryngology, head and neck surgery at Stanford University. It is simple and done twice a day for 1 minute, for 4 months.

cuffs

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 1:07 pm
I also have a friend that is still suffering months later, wonder if it's the same friend! She lost so much weight and is always nauseous, she can hardly eat

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 1:11 pm
This was my experience as well, and it took me months to get back to normal with smell and taste.

It came back in odd bits here and there, so I never knew what was next. One day things smelled like garbage cans, and the next day I could smell the orange blossoms blooming! (I made a bracha on that.)

Taste would come and go as well. I stayed away from spicy foods for quite a while, even though I love them. I could never predict how they would taste to me. A spicy and sweet curry that I've made a thousand times would turn out to taste bitter and harsh, with a burnt undertone.

All I can say, is stick to basic foods, and try not to blow your nose too hard. If you do, you can damage the delicate new cells that are trying to grow.

snowflake1

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 1:53 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Some insight is starting to become available about this phenomenon. Read this article in its entirety, it's very informative.

"Some coronavirus patients may start to regain their sense of smell as their olfactory neurons regenerate over the course weeks or months. These patients often develop "parosmia" — a distorted sense of smell — as they recover, which can turn otherwise pleasant aromas into foul odors like chemicals or burning."

There is olfactory training (smell/taste therapy) to regain sense of smell by Dr. Zara Patel, assistant professor of otolaryngology, head and neck surgery at Stanford University. It is simple and done twice a day for 1 minute, for 4 months.

Thanks for the article it was very interesting where did you get the information about the training to regain smell I tried to Google it and I couldn’t find it

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 1:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:

So funny! I often smell that things are burning when they're not. good to know.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 2:25 pm
I was lucky. I got my smell and taste back after a week. (Though I was fairly sick.) It took another week or more for water not to taste metallic. And something weird just started a few minutes later - bag salads all seem to taste off but in a way I've never tasted before, and it's just me.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 3:10 pm
snowflake1 wrote:
Thanks for the article it was very interesting where did you get the information about the training to regain smell I tried to Google it and I couldn’t find it

I've been doing it and have been seeing small slow victories BH. It takes time but is the gold standard. I've done extensive research and been in touch with a few doctors.

https://www.businessinsider.co.....020-7

Olfactory Training by Dr. Zara Patel, assistant professor of otolaryngology, head and neck surgery at Stanford University.
4 (30ml/1 oz) amber glass jars
watercolor paper
rose, clove, eucalyptus & lemon essential oils

(The above is all available on Amazon for minimal investment.)

Cut the heavy watercolor paper to fit the bottom of each jar. Insert the cut paper to line the bottom of the jars. Place 5 drops of one essential oil into the first jar. Label jar & lid and cover so you know what's in the jar; seal tightly. Repeat with remaining 3 essential oils and jars.

2 times a day, take small mindful sniffs of each scent (around 3 sniffs of each), being curious about the smell, and conjuring up in your mind what that scent smells like. Continue to the next.

Meant to be done for around 4 months.

If you need more source articles, let me know.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 3:17 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
So funny! I often smell that things are burning when they're not. good to know.

Yes - it's really frustrating!

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 3:20 pm
Just mentioning another possibility

I have this hormonal related...one if my first signs of preg or pms

Also, did she look into The possibility of gastric issues gerd?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 4:23 pm
A few weeks after regaining my taste & smell,I'm experiencing something slightly similar,but not so extreme. Certain things smell & taste awful,but the smelling part is worse than the taste.

snowflake1

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 6:00 pm
Thanks for the treatment protocol I will forward it to her.
She does not use this site but I will forward everybody’s ideas to her.
To the poster that gave me the treatment protocol, I would appreciate another source article.

I hope everyone here, that has this issue, has a complete recovery

observer

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 6:36 pm
Does she eat pine nuts or pesto? Those can be culprits and it can last a while.

snowflake1

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 7:33 pm
observer wrote:
Does she eat pine nuts or pesto? Those can be culprits and it can last a while.

Good to know butShe doesn’t

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 7:56 pm
snowflake1 wrote:
Thanks for the treatment protocol I will forward it to her.
She does not use this site but I will forward everybody’s ideas to her.
To the poster that gave me the treatment protocol, I would appreciate another source article.

I hope everyone here, that has this issue, has a complete recovery

Detailed instructions and videos for the smell training.
https://abscent.org/learn-us/smell-training

The specific essential oil scents to use, per Dr. Patel who has done the research at Stanford University.
https://www.btimesonline.com/a.....s.htm

snowflake1

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 9:43 pm
Thank you so much for this info

gyf45

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 9:58 pm
I’ve had this for 2 months ongoing. 4 months ago I lost my smell and taste and it came back after 10 days then 2 months ago had a bad cold probably covid again. Specific cereals and rye bread taste horrible My coffee smells burnt and I can’t smell things burning lol only when I see it burnt to a crisp do I realize I burnt something. Can’t eat gefilte fish ever again ugh but salmon is not too bad. I keep wondering when it will be back to normal ive sort of accepted it to be the norm... I’ve lost 2 lbs I can’t afford to lose more.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 10:55 pm
I have exactly this and I heard quite a few people that do too. For me it started 3 months after I got my smell and taste back post corona. It's worse then it sounds everything smells and tastes off. Especially meat, poultry, fish, eggs. Any more ideas are welcome I've had it for 2 weeks and going crazy.

yuyu

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 10:56 pm
gyf45 wrote:
I’ve had this for 2 months ongoing. 4 months ago I lost my smell and taste and it came back after 10 days then 2 months ago had a bad cold probably covid again. Specific cereals and rye bread taste horrible My coffee smells burnt and I can’t smell things burning lol only when I see it burnt to a crisp do I realize I burnt something. Can’t eat gefilte fish ever again ugh but salmon is not too bad. I keep wondering when it will be back to normal ive sort of accepted it to be the norm... I’ve lost 2 lbs I can’t afford to lose more.

Yes oh my gefilte fish is baaaaaaaaad
Oh my I thought I was going crazy and dreaming this all up at one point. So glad I found this thread.

Narbin

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 11:40 pm
My brother is experiencing this and his doctor told him to do the essential oil training. Then he went to ENT and he said it’s nerve damage. The ENT enrolled him in a clinical trial at Mount Sinai in Manhattan that’s using steroids and omegas as a possible treatment.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics