Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Starting a homeschooling group in Bayswater

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 5:19 pm
If anyone is interested in joining a homeschooling group (a physical group, where children learn together) in September, for girls grades 4-8, please let me know.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 5:49 pm
Is Bayswater anywere near Marin park (Brooklyn)?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 5:56 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Is Bayswater anywere near Marin park (Brooklyn)?

It’s part of far Rockaway, about 45 minutes away. If you’d like to message me, I can give you more info, and see if it would work for you.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 8:14 pm
I’ve decided that I’m going to post the info here, and anyone who is interested can reach out to me. You can also share the info with anyone you think may be interested.

- I will start with girls going into grades 6-8
- lessons will be short, and not much lecturing
- there will be an emphasis on building a solid Jewish foundation, as well as using that foundation in multiple aspects of ones life
- most of the learning will be hands on, experiential learning- preparing lessons on their own, projects, activities- rather than coming from lectures
- if parents have any skills or knowledge that they wish to impart, they are welcome to come and share, or have the girls come to their house, or take the girls somewhere
- there will be as much outdoor class and learning as will be permitted by weather
- subjects which interest a girl or girls can be delved into (science, mechanics, engineering, building, baking, sewing)
- life skills will be taught as well, age (and capabilities) appropriately

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:49 am
Bumping for those who may not have seen yesterday. If anyone in Brooklyn/5T/Far Rockaway is interested, please let me know. Hours will be shorter than traditional school hours, so it might work for people who need to travel.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 9:46 am
I've seen on local blogs up in Westchester that there are people forming their own learning groups and actually hiring a teacher. So far though I've only seen this for secular learning but it does make me think about the economics of it for younger kids. If ten families each contributed $8K could they hire a teacher or two for $80K to teach the 'learning pod' for the year?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:16 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I've seen on local blogs up in Westchester that there are people forming their own learning groups and actually hiring a teacher. So far though I've only seen this for secular learning but it does make me think about the economics of it for younger kids. If ten families each contributed $8K could they hire a teacher or two for $80K to teach the 'learning pod' for the year?

I guess they could, but my idea is to keep costs down and only “hire” people when needed. There isn’t really much full blown teaching, the way I’m planning to do it. Parents can contribute, and most of the teaching will be through learning- baking, building, making or going to a store, doing science experiments, reading subject matter that interests them, projects and reports....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics