Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can you advise me on my new kitchen?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 11:36 am
We need to replace our cabinets and floors.

I love that white/light color cabinets open the room up and they seem to be all the rage but I have cream cabinets now and they are always dirty.

I thought about doing darker lower cabinets and lighter upper cabinets but then I read that dark cabinets are painted and they chip/scruff easily.

I know that whites greys blues are what everyone is doing now but I dont know that this is the right choice for me. Also the rest of my house is warmer colors, I wonder if it would look odd to have these modern and cool colors near the rest of the house.

Same issue with the floor. My first floor is all medium brown wood, what floor can I do that wouldn't clash?

So bottom line, Im looking for color advice for my cabinets (upper and lower) and the floor.

We have kah 6 boys so durable is key.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 11:41 am
My kitchen has the lower cabinets grey and the upper cabinets white, white marble countertops.
Grey tiles

tweety1

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 12:14 pm
You can't do what "everybody's" doing. You have to do what's you like and what's gonna look best in your kitchen. And if they'll be a new "challenge" to lick fire you'll also do it?! Coming from somebody who recently finished a major project. I did what I like and what I felt is best in each room. I didn't care what's "in".

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:11 pm
tweety1 wrote:
You can't do what "everybody's" doing. You have to do what's you like and what's gonna look best in your kitchen. And if they'll be a new "challenge" to lick fire you'll also do it?! Coming from somebody who recently finished a major project. I did what I like and what I felt is best in each room. I didn't care what's "in".

I dont actually care what's in but I did notice that the homes with these color scemes seem fresh and airy and open and other colors really darken the room, making it smaller and sometimes dingier.

I had always thought Id want cream cabinets but I have that now and they always need to be wiped down and the lower ones are hard to maintain. What does one do if they don't know what they like? All the samples of wood colors/stains (I heard those are the most durable and low maintenance) seem very dated and claustrophobic. I dont have a large airy kitchen.

I do like the idea of 2 tone kitchen if it works.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:17 pm
I recently remodeled and have wood stained cabinets. My cabinets are quarter sawn white oak in a medium glaze. I love them and they are easy to care for although I don't abuse them.

As others have advised, what do you like? Look at lots of kitchen pictures and save those that appeal to you.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:35 pm
Maybe go into a few kitchen showrooms with your dimensions and layout and ask them what they advise.
You can at the same time look around the showrooms and gain a feeling in which direction you wanna go.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 2:01 pm
Consider stained wood at least for the base cabinets. They will hold up better than painted.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 2:47 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Consider stained wood at least for the base cabinets. They will hold up better than painted.

What colors for upper cabinets would you recommend for stained lower cabinets?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 3:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I dont actually care what's in but I did notice that the homes with these color scemes seem fresh and airy and open and other colors really darken the room, making it smaller and sometimes dingier.

I had always thought Id want cream cabinets but I have that now and they always need to be wiped down and the lower ones are hard to maintain. What does one do if they don't know what they like? All the samples of wood colors/stains (I heard those are the most durable and low maintenance) seem very dated and claustrophobic. I dont have a large airy kitchen.

I do like the idea of 2 tone kitchen if it works.

My kitchen is small, and without much light. I did an all white kitchen - somehow a kitchen doesn't really have to "match" the rest of the house. Just because you have a dark den doesn't mean you need to have a dark or brown kitchen. They have amazing marble-looking countertops these days made out of quartzite, and I love that look. Marble is too fragile for me.

I love white cabinets. If they get chipped, that's what white-out is for! It's easy to match. Yes, you have to wipe down cabinets, no matter what color you get. Kids spill. I made my fridge and dishwashers have the same white cabinet cover as the rest, so it all looks as uniform as possible. My floor is wood, and it goes perfectly.

I think that the bottom cabinets being gray could be interesting, but it can also be choppy and break up the room, if you don't have a large kitchen.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 3:54 pm
Light color backsplash, light color upper cabinets, and lots of good lighting (ceiling lighting, spots, under cabinet lighting) will make your kitchen feel light and airy.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 3:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What colors for upper cabinets would you recommend for stained lower cabinets?

A white that goes with the stain color. I'm just finishing a smallish kitchen where the base cabinets are nickel stain with white glaze on hard maple (a greige color) and white uppers (yes, I design kitchens and residences professionally). The counters will be a white granite.

shmosmom

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 4:34 pm
I would do upper white and bottom navy. Make sure the quality is good so it doesn't chip fast.
For floor I'd either do very large taupe gray rectangle tiles layed subway style or a little smaller tile mix in some sort of modular effect. Another great classic option for flooring is a dark rich hardwood.
It really depends a lot on your kitchen size and layout, there isn't a one size fit all. I once saw someone's house with a beautiful red kitchen, but if someone had just told me about it otherwise I probably would've just thought it tacky.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen