Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Curious-What do you do? Showering 9 days
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 5:30 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
OK, not all women stink if they miss a shower either.

Women don't stink faster than men.

There shouldn't be a difference in the amount of cleaning allowed, since women will get turned off by a stinking husband just like men will get turned off by a smelly wife.

Of course women stink faster than men. We have an extra hole that needs some tlc, or things get real nasty real fast

malki2

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 5:37 pm
crust wrote:
I have to add that some threads on imamother spiral downhill real fast.

And 2 out of 3 times, it’s my fault. Hiding

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 6:27 pm
malki2 wrote:
Not all men are effeminate metros@xuals with groomed body hair and tight skinny clothing. There’s such a thing as a “manly man.” Not to say that it’s ok for them to stink. But there’s definitely a difference here between a man and a woman.

There’s a lot of space between effeminate metrosexuals and a man who doesn’t shower for 9 days in a 100 degree heatwave.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 6:30 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
Of course women stink faster than men. We have an extra hole that needs some tlc, or things get real nasty real fast

The private part is a self cleaning oven. If you’re on your period you should shower, if that’s what you mean.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 6:54 pm
Seems like I'm the only one around here who really holds back as much as possible during the 9 days! I try to skip showering as much as I can. I wipe down certain areas daily and wash my face and feet daily. I am not a smelly person by nature so I guess that's in my favor.

I grew up in a home where there was no difference in the showering at all. Hot, long, whatever; same all year round. As I matured I realized that I wanted to have more of a feel for the 9 days. The more we're aware of this, the more we can really tap into the feeling of missing the BHMK. It's like aveilus. I feel like we're so used to things being cushy and comfortable and we "just can't handle not being fully showered and fresh." Can't we make ourselves a little bit more uncomfortable than we like or we're used to, just for Him?

I'm NOT saying we should stink, or repel others with our smell, or look greasy or disgusting. Clean your armpits in the sink if you need to. Wash important areas. I just can't justify a warm full body shower every day of the 9 days. We're so far removed from what we should be feeling.

Anyone else agree?

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:04 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
The private part is a self cleaning oven. If you’re on your period you should shower, if that’s what you mean.

“Self cleaning” doesn’t mean “self deodorizing”

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:10 pm

Back in 9th grade biology class, our teacher told us while we were learning about the reproductive systems, you girls know you are supposed to wash that area, right? gently, with a washcloth?

giselle

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:11 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Seems like I'm the only one around here who really holds back as much as possible during the 9 days! I try to skip showering as much as I can. I wipe down certain areas daily and wash my face and feet daily. I am not a smelly person by nature so I guess that's in my favor.

I grew up in a home where there was no difference in the showering at all. Hot, long, whatever; same all year round. As I matured I realized that I wanted to have more of a feel for the 9 days. The more we're aware of this, the more we can really tap into the feeling of missing the BHMK. It's like aveilus. I feel like we're so used to things being cushy and comfortable and we "just can't handle not being fully showered and fresh." Can't we make ourselves a little bit more uncomfortable than we like or we're used to, just for Him?

I'm NOT saying we should stink, or repel others with our smell, or look greasy or disgusting. Clean your armpits in the sink if you need to. Wash important areas. I just can't justify a warm full body shower every day of the 9 days. We're so far removed from what we should be feeling.

Anyone else agree?

I agree, but not if it’s something that will affect other people. Aside from actual halacha, anything added is a personal thing.

icebreaker

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:16 pm
I have hyperhidrosis. I take cold or lukewarm, short showers. Enough to get the sweat off.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:17 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:

Anyone else agree?

I totally hear you but to me I’m stepping down from my long hot showers by taking quick cold ones. I don’t enjoy them at all I merely taking them to be clean. I don’t know if there’s a mitzvah to be dirty during the 9 days. That’s just how I see it. I also do pre wear my shirts/skirts so they’re not freshly clean-I don’t know if everyone does that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:18 pm
Now I just made myself curious again with another 9 days question-do all ashkenazim pre-wear their clothes?

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:23 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Back in 9th grade biology class, our teacher told us while we were learning about the reproductive systems, you girls know you are supposed to wash that area, right? gently, with a washcloth?

Exactly. I use a washcloth in the shower, and summer eve soap for extra points. So if left alone without a shower for a few days.....I could imagine most people would smeeeeelllllllllll

southernbubby

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:24 pm
I pre wear clothes and pour water over myself with the nagel vasser cup and use soap. I can't handle body odor.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:25 pm

If your healthy it shouldn’t smell. And it’s very unhealthy to put scented products there.

But really ask 100 people which gender smells better and get back to me.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:26 pm
If your healthy it shouldn’t smell. And it’s very unhealthy to put scented products there.

I am heal thy y. It doesn’t smell. But I’ve been using summers eve since puberty, so I wouldn’t know otherwise.
Either way , my point was that left without a shower, women will smell faster and worse than men

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:27 pm

You don't need to use scented products. Just wash with soft washcloth and a bit of gentle soap. Gently, without scrubbing.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:31 pm
I am heal thy y. It doesn’t smell. But I’ve been using summers eve since puberty, so I wouldn’t know otherwise.
Either way , my point was that left without a shower, women will smell faster and worse than men

Ask 100 people which gender smells better and get back to me. This is silly.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:42 pm
Ask 100 people which gender smells better and get back to me. This is silly.

And they’ll answer without thinking because of stereotypes. But ask 100 people, enlighten them a little, and then get back to ME. Make sure to include the fact that we are more likely to have night sweats from pregnancy and/or nursing, we have to clean an extra body part, we are more likely to be playing outdoors all day with the kids and cook and clean while our husbands sit in an air conditioned office from 9-5, and women have more sweat glands than men.

malki2

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 8:31 pm
And they’ll answer without thinking because of stereotypes. But ask 100 people, enlighten them a little, and then get back to ME. Make sure to include the fact that we are more likely to have night sweats from pregnancy and/or nursing, we have to clean an extra body part, we are more likely to be playing outdoors all day with the kids and cook and clean while our husbands sit in an air conditioned office from 9-5, and women have more sweat glands than men.

This. There’s no natural reason whatsoever why men should smell worse than women. It’s a stereotype based on men being the ones to do physical work and sweat.

malki2

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 8:33 pm
I’ll throw a bone to those of you who want the men to shower. According to Halacha, men are supposed to go to the Mikva after s@x, before they learn or daven. And if they don’t go to the Mikva, they should take a shower. Even during the nine days. So if you can stand the smell long enough to be with him, you can send him to the shower.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics