Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Did you delete whatsapp?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:48 pm
No. I find it useful.

ROFL

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 6:36 pm
Thanks. You just reminded me to look at WhatsApp and see what message I got today !

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 7:08 pm
I mute chats I only need sometimes. The groups are the reason I need it. Bus chats, class chats, things that disseminate information. I used to do text, but my phone won't allow groups of more than 10, which is a problem.

WhatsApp is actually one thing that I genuinely think is more a problem for kids than adults. I had a long talk with TAG about it. Aside from content issues that can sometimes be helped by a good filter, kids have more of an issue with mistreatment by others in terms of being added to groups against their will and then bombed. This is much rarer with adults.

nanny24/7

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 8:43 pm
I use it but one by one muted all the statuses. Makes a big difference as that's the part of it I hate the most.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 8:59 pm
I did.
I was getting fed up of keeping up with other people's lives. I'm not interested in other people's status messages etc

I was also getting annoyed from the messages I was getting with either videos and pics that were lashon hara or just not in line with my family's values. B"h it's too much of a bother for them to text me those clips etc

essie14

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 10:43 pm
I have no time to read people's status messages but theres no way I could delete WhatsApp. my entire family lives in america and we live in Israel. it's how we keep up with everyone and video chat.
My neighborhood WhatsApp groups are invaluable. Everyone I know has it, I dont think I know anyone IRL who has a kosher phone. No one in my circles would get rid of WhatsApp.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 12:25 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
And my daughter knows that she is not allowed to be on her phone all day and she is not.
As long as whatsapp is really just another form of text messaging, I really dont see the big deal.

How do you regulate this? Some teenage kids can get deeply involved with their phone and it can be hard to get them out in the middle of a whatsapp conversation.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 12:53 am
essie14 wrote:
No one in my circles would get rid of WhatsApp.

Same. I live in Israel and it is literally impossible to function in many places without whatsapp. It's like not having a home phone twenty years ago.

My workplace relies on whatsapp, my colleagues communicate via a whatsapp group. My kids' teachers use whatsapp. My kids' all communicate with their friends via whatsapp, and they would miss out on half the social gatherings if they weren't on it.

I had one colleague last year without whatsapp and she asked me to text her all the important messages. Honestly, it was a pain, and I couldn't keep up. She eventually had no choice.

For those of you annoyed by statuses - I never look at anyone's status, and it doesn't notify you on your main screen when someone posts a status. Why are you even opening that tab?

Luckily, our extended family whatsapp is full of personal photos and updates. No junk. My dh's family whatsapp is full of politics and forwarded video clips. I am not on it anymore - I don't have time for that kind of thing.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 1:03 am
I don't like the idea of having something on me all the time. I end up checking it a lot.

I didn't have whatsapp for a while but I now have it for work on my computer. I'm not in an groups and no one else messages me on it.

Aylat

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 1:25 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Same. I live in Israel and it is literally impossible to function in many places without whatsapp. It's like not having a home phone twenty years ago.

My workplace relies on whatsapp, my colleagues communicate via a whatsapp group. My kids' teachers use whatsapp. My kids' all communicate with their friends via whatsapp, and they would miss out on half the social gatherings if they weren't on it.

I had one colleague last year without whatsapp and she asked me to text her all the important messages. Honestly, it was a pain, and I couldn't keep up. She eventually had no choice.

For those of you annoyed by statuses - I never look at anyone's status, and it doesn't notify you on your main screen when someone posts a status. Why are you even opening that tab?

Luckily, our extended family whatsapp is full of personal photos and updates. No junk. My dh's family whatsapp is full of politics and forwarded video clips. I am not on it anymore - I don't have time for that kind of thing.

This exactly.

Aylat

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 1:25 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:

This exactly. I'm not on any time-wasting groups and don't check statuses or update my profile. It's very functional and efficient.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 1:35 am
Yes it was the hardest thing but also the best thing. I didn't do it out of frumkeit as I still have the internet on my phone. I got rid of it mainly due to a bad friendship that I had to cut ties with (ironic that I made friends with get through a WhatsApp group!) And another reason was bc I was just too busy on it.
I share my husband's though for school groups, which were made due to covid and family groups so I don't feel that I'm missing out too much!

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 1:38 am
Despite the fact that many teachers and gannenot use whatsapp, I've heard them say privately how much they hate it. Opens them up to a feeling that they always need to be immediately available to parents no matter what hour of the night and in my DD's kindergarten (chabad, but with many traditional and not so religious parents) parents would talk all kinds of lashon hara about the administration and gannenot and literally 'gang up' on them via whatsapp. Glad I didn't have to witness all that nonsense.

Tbh when I got rid of whatsapp I realized it was easier to like 'real' people since their 'whatsapp persona' was so offputting.

leaf

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 2:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't want my kids having it when they get older and I don't like it either. But it's also convenient.

Did you delete it?

Your kids will be on whatsapp when they get older (or whatever social media is popular at that point) if that's what their friends are doing. I doubt the fact that you're not will make a big difference. If you don't want them using whattsapp, you will need to raise them somewhere where kids don't have smartphones.
As for you, why don't you like whatsapp? Maybe you can figure out a way to get the benefits of the convenience of whatsapp, without the detriments of whatever is bothering you. (Limiting how frequently you check, not using when the kids are awake, etc.)

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 2:47 am
I find Whatsapp to be very useful, and I definitely need to keep it if I want my business to run efficently.

That being said, I am having a similar struggle to what you described with Instagram, and keep toying with the idea of deleting it. Even though it can be somewhat helpful for business, it is addictive and way to much of a time waster.

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 5:04 am
I gave up my smartphone altogether. I was pretty addicted to It. The 1st year it was very hard. These days, I'm not gonna say I don't miss whatsapp, but I feel better that I don't have it, worth it! Not planning to get it back.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 5:34 am
Some people use whatsapp as their version of social media. I did not know this was a thing until imamother. Literally the only one of my contacts with a status update or photo or whatever is my teenager. The only groups I am in are my local womens or jewish rummage, covid food distribution info from the school... those kinds of groups. My family has a small group but its mostly my one sibling and I. My local friends have a group where we just share chizzuk, etc. and its just 5 of us. I do not join any of the other groups and aside from my local rummage and nshei groups and shomrim group, I do not, as a rule, join any group where I do not know every person.

The thing about whatsapp and instagram, which I see SO MANY THREADS ABOUT, is that just like imamother, you have to opt in and no one is making you.

Black and white thinking is a bad thing. Yes, I see the irony in that statement, as its a black and white statement itself. Whatsapp is fine. Its good. You are in charge of it. Limit your chats to people like I do. Family ONLY. Local Nshei Info ONLY. Carpool, food distribution, shomrim updates, etc. None of these massive groups which are silly and a time waste. I am in control of what I do.

For me, whatsapp is not the time suck that people here seem to experience it to be. it must be a thing in the circles I do not belong to.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 7:50 am
(I'm amother Brown from above)

I wonder if it's an age thing. I'm 23 and would find it hard not to look at it all day. Like I find not going on this site hard for me. If whatsapp only became a thing when I was older I probably would be more mature about it (I'd hope). I don't think my friends use it as sparingly and as productive as y'all Smile I got married pretty young so maybe I just don't have time for it in my life like my friends do (more newly married or one kid). I'm so so busy between running my business and my family that I just don't have time for these things. When I have time in my life I call or text my friends. If I was on chats it would be weird if I was never avaialble, if I don't have it it's not.

My mother, in her 40s, has whatsapp and she just uses it for useful things like so many of you are saying.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 8:05 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
(I'm amother Brown from above)

I wonder if it's an age thing. I'm 23 and would find it hard not to look at it all day. Like I find not going on this site hard for me. If whatsapp only became a thing when I was older I probably would be more mature about it (I'd hope). I don't think my friends use it as sparingly and as productive as y'all Smile I got married pretty young so maybe I just don't have time for it in my life like my friends do (more newly married or one kid). I'm so so busy between running my business and my family that I just don't have time for these things. When I have time in my life I call or text my friends. If I was on chats it would be weird if I was never avaialble, if I don't have it it's not.

My mother, in her 40s, has whatsapp and she just uses it for useful things like so many of you are saying.

I really don't think it's a need in my circles. And my kids have lately been talking about how no normal teens use texting. Whatsapp is it. Some of them are young and if they see me delete it, they may change their outlook. It's nice adults can regulate themselves on it (sometimes), but teens are not mature enough for it. And don't get me started on how addictive statuses are. I don't use them, but the teens... It's not good.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 9:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I really don't think it's a need in my circles. And my kids have lately been talking about how no normal teens use texting. Whatsapp is it. Some of them are young and if they see me delete it, they may change their outlook. It's nice adults can regulate themselves on it (sometimes), but teens are not mature enough for it. And don't get me started on how addictive statuses are. I don't use them, but the teens... It's not good.

Maybe start by helping your kids see that many very normal teens DO text and not whatsapp and for a variety of good reasons. Not that anyone should need ANY reason to decide how to text or even IF they text. Some still have no phones at all. Some have only kosher phones. They are normal. Some have parents who will not allow whatsapp. They are also normal.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics