Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Our Relationship with Hashem

disneyland

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 1:35 pm
Please add a post about something positive in your relationship with Hashem
I will add first.
I see that we always want a relationship with Hashem even if it may be hard and even painful at times. Its worth it.

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 2:03 pm
I am so grateful to have my belief of Hashem and to know that everything is in His hands. It is a comfort to speak to Hashem, to give my problems over to Him, and to know that whatever happens will be for a (good) reason. Without this, the world would be such a dark, scary, meaningless place (especially in these times).

It is not always easy for me to give over my worries to Hashem, but I am tremendously fortunate to be able to.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 2:16 pm
I live with Him on my mind all the time. I find myself obsessed with G-d and I just want to serve. In good times I rejoice with Him and hard times I know He feels my pain infinitely and I just cannot ever get over Him.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 2:34 pm
There are times I feel - not just intellectually know - He's listening and cheering me on.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 2:40 pm
I don't understand what it means to have a relationship with hashem. A relationship implies mutual understanding and expectations. All the people I have relationships with, there is an understanding of what the expectations are of each other. This includes my husband, my children, other family members, my friends, neighbors, coworkers, and everyone else. For example I expect certain things from my husband. I understand how he will react if I do certain things that make him happy or the opposite. We don't understand hashem at all. There isn't anything that hashem does that makes sense to us. What response will I get if I daven or if I don't daven? What response will I get if I do mitzvos or if I don't? There's no correlation in this world between our actions and hashem's response. This is the very core of a relationship. Without this, it's difficult to say there is a relationship.

mandksima

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 3:23 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I don't understand what it means to have a relationship with hashem. A relationship implies mutual understanding and expectations. All the people I have relationships with, there is an understanding of what the expectations are of each other. This includes my husband, my children, other family members, my friends, neighbors, coworkers, and everyone else. For example I expect certain things from my husband. I understand how he will react if I do certain things that make him happy or the opposite. We don't understand hashem at all. There isn't anything that hashem does that makes sense to us. What response will I get if I daven or if I don't daven? What response will I get if I do mitzvos or if I don't? There's no correlation in this world between our actions and hashem's response. This is the very core of a relationship. Without this, it's difficult to say there is a relationship.

I think of it more like a servant to a king. No demands, just respectful requests. The understanding that any kind of work done by a servant for a beloved king who he owes his and his family's life to is awesome and there is just no way not to be happy to be able to serve the king. Once in a while he makes a personal request but knows that his precious king always knows best for his people so if he gets a know he can accept it as well.

An intimate relationship like a parent/child can also be imagined. Hashem is our caring father and we are an infant. We can hate the bath and diaper changes and think he is punishing us but what can we possibly understand about our ultimate good? When we're older, we can see the whole picture and see everything was done for our benefit and nothing was done out of pettiness or spite. Some aspects of child rearing is unpleasant as it causes temporary harm and also is not loved by the parent even though its necessary.

It is not an equal relationship so you don't need to understand each other and have mutual understandings or expectations. Our davening and our mitzvos are only for US, not Hashem. The benefits are for us. Hashem does not need it from us, we need to nullify ourselves to him in order to accept him as our father and king.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 4:07 pm
mandksima wrote:

It is not an equal relationship so you don't need to understand each other and have mutual understandings or expectations. Our davening and our mitzvos are only for US, not Hashem. The benefits are for us. Hashem does not need it from us, we need to nullify ourselves to him in order to accept him as our father and king.

You said prayer is only for us. How is that not idol worship? Please be careful. Bolded sentence implies that Hashem doesn't care. That's totally not Jewish.

Our relationship with G-d is wonderfully complex. Just look at the words of Ki Anu Amecha. So accurate in describing what a relationship with the Infinite Devine is. My heart melts every Yom Kippur.

mandksima

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 4:17 pm
Sorry, I thought I was clear. Our doing mitzvos and davening is not needed by Hashem. He is not a person that needs praises and our sacrifices are not for his consumption. It is the opposite of idol worship as those who do that assume they need to appease their idol and compliment it. We are told to do mitzvos in order for us to work on ourselves, our gratitude, our kavod for each other and to connect to Hashem as part of the nation of Israel. The Torah and its mitzvos are a condition for continued existence in this world. We committed to them on har sinai and the whole could go on.

Hashem loves us, loves our tefillos and our commitment to each mitzvah. Of course he cares but he exists no matter what we do and therefore doesn't rely on us for any needs. He can get nachas from us but existed before us just fine.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 4:48 pm
I hear what you are saying (though it still makes me nervous when Judaism is made to sound like it's self serving I think it's a lot more than that). One of my favorite quotes from the Rambam loosely translated is that we cannot apply the term existence to define G-d. It's so mind blowing!!

G-d is so beyond us and still is interested in us.

To me it's just most amazing that we can spend 3000 years getting to know Him, and that our bond is eternal. Us being bound to Him really defines what a relationship is. It's not about who gets what out of a relationship (though there's has been and still is a lot of that) but that it's forever.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational