Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Get my kids to eat salad help

snowflake1

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 2:42 pm
please help our family get healthier!
I am looking to make salad more as a side for dinner. My kids like salads that have chips or croutons.
I am looking for a recommendation for croutons or chips that are not too fattening we are working on weight here!
We do not like fruit in salad.
Also,
they likes salsa and the nish nosh salad. But those crackers are really full of oil
they like cut up raw veggies. But I am looking for a change they does not like chopped flatbread I have tried that all suggestions are really appreciated

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 2:43 pm
snowflake1 wrote:
please help our family get healthier!
I am looking to make salad more as a side for dinner. My kids like salads that have chips or croutons.
I am looking for a recommendation for croutons or chips that are not too fattening we are working on weight here!
We do not like fruit in salad.
Also,
they likes salsa and the nish nosh salad. But those crackers are really full of oil
they like cut up raw veggies. But I am looking for a change they does not like chopped flatbread I have tried that all suggestions are really appreciated

You can get low fat tortilla type chips.

jewishmom6

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 2:47 pm
My kids eat whatever my husband eats. My husband and kids looves greek salad with feta cheese.

I dont do chips in salad.

ima22

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 2:54 pm
Maybe out smaller amounts of the crackers/croutons instead of swapping them. What about more "fun" veggies like pickles, baby corn? Also, you may get more buy in if they help with the preparation process. Let them pick the veggies in the store (even better if you could grow them, or pick them) and wash, chop and serve.

snowflake1

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 6:56 pm
Thanks for the suggestions fun veggies sounds good what dressing goes well with pickles and baby corn?

I just saw an idea to make your own pita chips you can spray with Pam to make them not oily

I was googling and also found to make your own sweet potato chips peeled them with a peeler and then bake them I think I will try that next
Also,
limiting the crunchy part of the salad is a good idea in theory but I don’t like to tell my kids to have less of things then they feel like they’re missing out. they will just ask for more

Good Friend

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 8:05 pm
My parents do this almost every Friday night: the salad for the fish and salad course is salad bar. There are a bunch of options and everyone chooses what they want. You can tell your kids they need to choose at least 2 vegetables, or whatever number you want. If you want you can also include protein, like tuna or eggs.

My parents usually include:
Lettuce
Cucumbers
Tomatoes
Peppers
Mango
Chow mein noodles
Craisins
A few types of store bought dressing.

The con is that it's more work than a typical salad, but the pro is you can cut a lot of veggies and have them ready in Ziploc bags to be used at a few meals.

saralem

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 8:11 pm
Definitely have them help you make the salad—many kids love cutting up colorful vegetables. Try orange, yellow and red peppers which are much sweeter than green ones. Canned corn is carby but adds some yummy colorful crunch. You can make your own croutons with leftover challah by cubing the bread and sprinkle with some mild spices. Spray with Pam and bake on a cookie sheet until golden. Also try sunflower seeds for crunch too. Dressing can be made with low fat mayo and some mild spices—there are lots of recipes for creamy dressing. My kids loved mayo mixed with ketchup! Have fun!

tichellady

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 8:21 pm
I would focus on raw and cooked veggies. The salads you are describing are not really healthy

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 8:27 pm
Don’t use processed foods. Nuts can be good in salad. Use olive oil, garlic and salt on chopped raw veg. Add meat or cheese. Or, if they like cut up veggies, let it be. Not every meal has to be a party in their mouths.

snowflake1

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 8:44 pm
The salad bar idea is cute I think they would enjoy that
My kids are really too young to cut veggies with a real knife the softer ones it is a good idea.
I know that these are not the most healthy salads but I am looking for a good balance they like is Railey salad and salad with just a little oil and spices but not all the time we usually have that on Shabbos so they are getting bored of it

cbs880

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 9:11 pm
The other night I tried something that worked...I placed bowls of different cut up veggies on the table: hearts of palm ,baby corn, red peppers, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, ( also did squares.of.cheese) and gave kids skewers and had them assemble their own "salad". Kids loved it! No.dressing, they liked eating off the stick so there was enough novelty with that...maybe give that a try?

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 9:21 pm
For crunchy add ins. I roast nuts in chilli powder. I coat pita pieces in zahtar and sumac and toast till crunchy.

For dressing we only use lemon and oil or vinegar and oil. That's what my kids like. If I were doing it for myself I'd add some cumin and crushed red pepper and cilantro.

I also chop herbs into my salads. Basil. Mint. Cilantro. Chives.

My favorite salad is a diced Israeli salad. Tomamto, cucumber, peppers, red onion or scallions, mint, lemon juice olive oil drop of coming and then the pita pieces.

snowflake1

Post Tue, Jul 28 2020, 9:29 pm
Thanks for the skewer idea I think that would work just have to get my act together for all of these.
I stop baking and try to use that time to make healthy foods instead

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 9:43 am
My kids dont eat salad.
I cut up a plate of veggies and a plate of fruit every night for supper.
I have done the salad bar idea but they dont dress their "salad".
I serve veggies in other forms. Im sure they will learn to eat salad at some point in their lives, its not something I focus on though.
(personally I would keep chips/croutons on salad for shabbos).

jd1212

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 11:14 am
Serve veggies/salad before dinner is ready while kids are hungriest!

Add nuts and even roasted sweet potatoes if you have time for a healthy starch salad addition. Corn has no nutritional value. I suggest seeing a nutritionist as well if you’re on a mission for family nutrition. We found out that they were covered by our insurance and have learned a ton, even coming in being reasonably healthy eaters already.

snowflake1

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 3:27 pm
Thanks for all the ideas.
Yes I think chips on Shabbos is a great idea.
My kids also do not like dressings but I was trying to try that to get them to eat more since cut up fresh veggies are getting old

I looked into a nutritionist, unfortunately the ones that are covered by our insurance Are not interesting

teachkids

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 3:31 pm
If they like cut up raw veggies, cut up veggies into sticks and make a platter of them. The kids will pick at it. Especially it’s the first thing on the table and the last thing off.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics