Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Can this cause a delay in speech?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 1:39 am
Hi.
I’m a first time mother and was just curios about something. My child is Baruch HaShem 18 months
My husband Was born here in the United States ( Long Island) but his parents are Israeli.

Since I gave birth to my son, my husband has been speaking to him in only Hebrew, and I do the English. He understands commands in both languages: he knows a few Hebrew words but says more English words.

Some of his words aren’t crystal clear at all.
Can speaking both languages to him give him a speech delay?

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 1:46 am
It can cause a slight delay to begin speaking, but when he’s ready he’ll speak both languages. It’s totally ok and worth it.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 5:33 am
You're doing it right with each of you speaking exclusively a different language. He'll be fine.

rmbg

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 5:34 am
18 month olds don’t speak properly. You have nothing to worry about

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 5:47 am
Yes it can lead to a delay in speaking, but it is not worrying. 18mo is still very young to speak. I was told by a speech therapist to give up to an extra year for children speaking/hearing multiple languages. Once he does speak, he will have those 2 languages for life which is really good. Be prepared for him to mix the two together when speaking at times.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 5:48 am
Don't worry about it at all! If he has a speech delay, it will NOT be because of that.
If everything else is in place health-wise, he will begin to speak both languages at random until he learns to code-switch (switch off as appropriate) when a bit older. Adorable!
By each speaking your strongest language to him, you are giving him a foundation of very strong vocabulary and knowledge of sentence structure in each language. An older child would have a much harder time trying to learn a new language.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:10 am
My professor said it increases IQ

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:14 am
Hi! I'm a speech therapist. Speaking 2 languages to a child has long since been debunked as causing language delay.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:31 am
Hey 👋
SLP in the house!
I work in a public school, where there are a lot of bilingual kids. The ones who have language delays are the ones who are ONLY hearing ONE language at home. Keep up the 2 language thing, and you’ll be fine.

bsy

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:46 am
As long as each of you are fluent in the language you are using with him, it should not cause a language delay.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:57 am
My dc knows 3 languages not incl lashon hakodesh when he was 2 1/2 he used to mix up all 3 in one sentence it was adorable - at 18 months cld only say 20 words. Now will be 7 soon and speaks 2 out of 3 fluently switches back and forth smoothly when needed. Takes the brain longer to process as a little kid imo but shdnt be worried abt speech delays

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 8:28 am
My kids were all exposed to 3 languages as babies and toddlers- my dh, nanny, and I each spoke a distinct language. They did not have speech delays. However, any child can have a speech delay. So while speaking more than one language won't cause a delay, it also won't prevent one. So if you feel like something is wrong you can always consult with a SLP and make sure everything is on track.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics