Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
75% of recovered covid have lasting heart damage-study
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:17 am
Three-Quarters of Recovered Coronavirus Patients Have Heart Damage Months Later, Study Finds

https://flip.it/I8F7L1

This is crazy

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:22 am
I find it hard to believe. Considering almost everyone I know (beside myself) has had it and seems to be fine.
I do know a few ppl who have been weaker since recovering. But for the most part ppl bounced back - including my 70 yr old in laws, my SIL on chemo.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:24 am
It is really frustrating that focus on death rates has really overshadowed other important effects of the virus and there is still so much we don't even know. Thanks for sharing OP.

I will add a note, that the studies underlying the headline involved older patients (ages 45-53 in one, even older on the other), and we should not assume that the same holds true for younger people.

I also would expect, though I haven't read through to confirm, that these were all symptomatic patients and therefore would not be representative of effects on the asymptomatic.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:31 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I find it hard to believe. Considering almost everyone I know (beside myself) has had it and seems to be fine.
I do know a few ppl who have been weaker since recovering. But for the most part ppl bounced back - including my 70 yr old in laws, my SIL on chemo.

Seems to be fine. People are having heart attacks and strokes 6 months later. There might be an affect on your heart, lungs, and you have no idea. We don't know the longterm affects of corona. You might have rare health issues appear in 2 years as a result of internal damage.

People might die early from health conditions.

banana123

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:37 am

They seem to be fine. We don't know if they're really fine. Heart issues can go undetected for years.
And we don't know what the long-term effects of coronavirus are, either. I fully believe that it is possible that 75% of recovered patients suffer lasting heart damage. That fits with previous observations from doctors working in the field and it also makes sense when you take into account what we know about how coronavirus affects the body.
It could be that the study is off or doesn't apply to younger patients, but the point is that if you can avoid contracting or spreading coronavirus, that is the wisest course of action at this point.

banana123

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:38 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
It is really frustrating that focus on death rates has really overshadowed other important effects of the virus and there is still so much we don't even know. Thanks for sharing OP.

I will add a note, that the studies underlying the headline involved older patients (ages 45-53 in one, even older on the other), and we should not assume that the same holds true for younger people.

I also would expect, though I haven't read through to confirm, that these were all symptomatic patients and therefore would not be representative of effects on the asymptomatic.

I think the focus on death rates is due to some people's insistence that coronavirus is no big deal and people will just get over it and move on with life, like with flu.

It's a shame, really.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:46 am

I actually dont find it hard to believe at all. I know someone personally, in monsey, who confided in me that ,she now has permanent heart damage from having covid.
Shes young (40s) and previously healthy. She had a moderate case of covid, no breathing issues or anything but then had some heart palpitations that led them to look further...

To any outside person shes one of the people who recovered and "are totally fine". Only the few people she confided in know.

So there could easily be others

ora_43

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:46 am
Well that's terrifying.

Although I see the study population wasn't exactly representative - the group studied had a 33% hospitalization rate, which is extremely far above the normal hospitalization rate for that age group. So these were probably relatively severe cases.

... OTOH that's still 45% of the patients recovering at home, but having ongoing heart issues.

A previous study showed changes to the heart in 55% of cases, but in that study 100% of the study group were hospitalized.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:56 am
How can they know that damage is "lasting" from a virus that's only existed for 8 months?

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 11:05 am
The study is all of 100 people. Pretty small sample. Corona only started around 4.5 months ago. So let's assume that they studied people who had it back in March. Let's assume they checked back on those same people 2 weeks ago. How can they determine that there is "lasting heart damage" if it's only been around 3 months since recovery? Do they know that the damage they see now will still exist in 5 years?

ora_43

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 11:12 am
By "lasting" they mean, lasting beyond recovery from the illness itself. People who no longer have the virus still have heart problems.

They don't mean "life-long," since it is clearly too early to say whether that's true.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 11:13 am
banana123 wrote:

It could be that the study is off or doesn't apply to younger patients, but the point is that if you can avoid contracting or spreading coronavirus, that is the wisest course of action at this point.

I personally know 2 people in their 20's - one who developed a lifelong heart condition and one who has a lifelong lung issue because of corona.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 11:26 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
The study is all of 100 people. Pretty small sample. Corona only started around 4.5 months ago. So let's assume that they studied people who had it back in March. Let's assume they checked back on those same people 2 weeks ago. How can they determine that there is "lasting heart damage" if it's only been around 3 months since recovery? Do they know that the damage they see now will still exist in 5 years?

As someone in that age group with a family history of heart disease, this is precisely why I have got so annoyed with people on here acting like Covid is nothing and sending their kids to sleepaway camps, not caring about the rest of us. Yes, it is a small sample and yes, maybe in a few months all the people with heart disease will miraculously get better. But in the interim, I will continue to be cautious.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 11:33 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
How can they know that damage is "lasting" from a virus that's only existed for 8 months?

Based on the type of cardiac damage, a cardiologist can say whether this is the kind of thing thats reversible or not

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 11:34 am
LovesHashem wrote:
I personally know 2 people in their 20's - one who developed a lifelong heart condition and one who has a lifelong lung issue because of corona.

How could you possible confirm something to be a "lifelong condition" after 2 months???

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 11:36 am
This is interesting. I was sick in March and I've lately been having pressure in my chest area. I kept saying it's seasonal allergies. Till my MIL told me that she's having terrible chest pain attacks that's keeping her up at night. She went to check it out and her Dr claims that many people are having this now and they're saying it's an effect of Covid.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 12:40 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
How could you possible confirm something to be a "lifelong condition" after 2 months???

People develop all kids of conditions in their life. When someone develops a condition it usually doesn't dissapear. If someone develops OCD in their 20's - yes it can be treated but I don't think people wake up not having OCD in their life.

These 2 people I know ended up getting conditions that aren't reversible. I don't know exactly what they are as they didn't share that with me.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 12:41 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
This is interesting. I was sick in March and I've lately been having pressure in my chest area. I kept saying it's seasonal allergies. Till my MIL told me that she's having terrible chest pain attacks that's keeping her up at night. She went to check it out and her Dr claims that many people are having this now and they're saying it's an effect of Covid.

Please go to a doctor. Some people end up dying months later from these condition. Please go - for yourself to find out what is going on .

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 12:45 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Please go to a doctor. Some people end up dying months later from these condition. Please go - for yourself to find out what is going on .

Oy, you're frightening me.
It's not constant or severe and I don't have any breathing issues bh. I guess it doesn't hurt to check it out though.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 12:46 pm
This is just so sad Sad I just hope we start hearing good news soon about vaccines and treatments. And maybe medicine will advance to be able to reverse what seems irreversible right now. It's too scary to think that so many people could be irreversibly affected like this....
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics