Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Iv drip for fast
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:38 am
Has anyone done it and really seen a difference? When do you do it, before or during? How much does it cost?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Has anyone done it and really seen a difference? When do you do it, before or during? How much does it cost?

If one is so sick from fasting that having an IV in is the only way to get through the day, they should speak to their rabbi before the fast. That’s not what fasting is about. We aren’t supposed to make ourselves sick.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:41 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
If one is so sick from fasting that having an IV in is the only way to get through the day, they should speak to their rabbi before the fast. That’s not what fasting is about. We aren’t supposed to make ourselves sick.

This is like a concierge service that supposedly makes it easier. I personally am pregnant and asked if I have to fast and was told to fast until I feel weaker than I normally do on a fast day. Not sure how I should measure that so I would love to make things easier and also not risk the pregnancy because I’m forced to fast until I feel terrible.

banana123

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is like a concierge service that supposedly makes it easier. I personally am pregnant and asked if I have to fast and was told to fast until I feel weaker than I normally do on a fast day. Not sure how I should measure that so I would love to make things easier and also not risk the pregnancy because I’m forced to fast until I feel terrible.

Did you tell this to your rav? Did you tell your rav that if you can't eat you may need an IV? That information may well change his psak.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My point was that we shouldn’t be using unnecessary medical intervention to get through it. Call back and ask for more info. No harm in that. Also b’sha’a Tova!!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:46 am
This isn't used for Tisha B'av. There are some Rabbanim who encourage this for those with hydration issues for YK only. The rabbanim give heterim for breaking the fast on TB if needed for those that are at risk/have hydration issues/breastfeeding/climate.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:50 am
ra_mom wrote:
This isn't used for Tisha B'av. There are some Rabbanim who encourage this for those with hydration issues for YK only. The rabbanim give heterim for breaking the fast on TB if needed for those that are at risk/have hydration issues/breastfeeding/climate.

I didn’t get a heter and I’m really nervous.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I just asked DH to call a rav and ask if I need to fast. At first the rav heard I am 30 weeks and said I should eat, then he called back and said I shouldn't eat lechatchila, only if I don't feel well. DH said he asked because I have HG, and after he explained what HG is the rav said I should eat lechatchila.
If you need an IV you might also have HG and that really does significantly change the psak. Please give your rav all these details, including that you are afraid of losing the pregnancy ch"v and including that you are considering an IV and may need one if you try to fast. The rav needs to know these details so that he has a full picture and can advise you correctly.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This is bothering me so much. There are so many threads about this and most of us have gotten heterim on one level or another. I would honestly make myself sick just by over eating today..
I’m at the point where I can’t really eat big meals. So I’m trying til chatzos tomorrow and if I can’t I can’t. As per my rav. I don’t understand how there are rabanim who won’t give heterim.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 10:59 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
This is bothering me so much. There are so many threads about this and most of us have gotten heterim on one level or another. I would honestly make myself sick just by over eating today..
I’m at the point where I can’t really eat big meals. So I’m trying til chatzos tomorrow and if I can’t I can’t. As per my rav. I don’t understand how there are rabanim who won’t give heterim.

OP said she was told to fast until she doesn’t feel well. She wasn’t told that she may not break her fast at all. She was given a heter to eat if she needs to. Now she needs to call back and find out exactly when she may eat, under what circumstances, what qualifies as not feeling well, etc. And not leave out any details or not forget to ask any questions and clarifications.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 11:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You were given a heter, just not a heter to not fast at all.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 11:04 am
I usually do a Vitamin IV the day before 9 Bav and Yom Kipur and it has been really helpful. I am not doing it this year because of Covid. I guess we will see how the fast goes this year.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 11:07 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
OP said she was told to fast until she doesn’t feel well. She wasn’t told that she may not break her fast at all. She was given a heter to eat if she needs to. Now she needs to call back and find out exactly when she may eat, under what circumstances, what qualifies as not feeling well, etc. And not leave out any details or not forget to ask any questions and clarifications.

Until I feel WEAKER than normally do when I fast. That’s different. And it’s hard for me to figure out what that even means.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 11:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Until I feel WEAKER than normally do when I fast. That’s different. And it’s hard for me to figure out what that even means.

Which is why you need to call back and clarify.

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 3:26 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

And not leave out any details because she is too embarrassed to ask the questions or "bother" the rav.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 3:31 pm
I have a couple of sort of conditions.... my chiropractor feels I should not get dehydrated and BH my Rov is fine with her recommendation even if MD isn't as concerned! He told me it's not typical but in case of prevention (as opposed to present danger) he suggests shiurim so that's what I've done past couple of years (though on nidche I just ate).

I use a yogurt-soy milk shake that I drink one ounce every ten minutes for an hour a few times a day. I put in cocoa for the caffeine.

The Rov specified something with nutrition.

Anyone who is concerned enough to get IV should call back the Rov. I am sure it would be unusual for the Rov to say you should do medical intervention before drinking shiurim for Tisha B'av. Even for YK.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 4:30 pm
Thanks all. I asked him again and told him my concern and he said I can be lenient.

Also, the iv drip is $400 so that wouldn’t be an option anyways.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 4:34 pm
I'm glad you called back to verify.

I think you were just taking the Rav's words too literally. Worrying how you will know when you feel weaker than you normally would feel.
To me it sounds like he was basically telling you use your common sense and fast as long as you feel you can. That's it. No overthinking.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I am so so sorry. Please don't wait until it's too late. Once you get sick from fasting, it's hard to recuperate.
If you see that you have weakened early tomorrow, please call a rav and say I am ______ (breastfeeding, history of dehydration, on medication, etc whatever your issue is), I am feeling ______ (dizzy, headache, whatever you feel), in the past when I felt this x happened, I am not managing, please help me.
If a rav turns you down when you are suffering, you may need to find someone who understands you better. Hug
I hope you have an easy fast and an easy recovery!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 6:32 pm
OP, I see you got clearer guidance! So happy BH. Wishing you a meaningful and healthy Tisha B'av!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note