Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Iv drip for fast
Previous  1  2

happyness

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 4:21 pm
I was told to fast. I told the rov I usually take IV as I have gotten very dizzy and seen stars when nursing and fasting. Still no heter. THe EMT that put in the IV said he never heard of someone fasting on TB if they need IV. So my husband is going to ask again.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 4:25 pm
The only time I ever had an IV for Tisha b'Av was when I was in the middle of a difficult HG pregnancy and I was on IV fluids 24/7. I actually had a heter to eat and drink as necessary, but since I couldn't keep anything down that really didn't do me any good. As I told my brother, who was "jealous" of my ability to eat on a fast day, he probably ate more than I did in total that day.

In terms of breaking your fast, I'll tell you what my Rav told me for my first pregnancy. I was newly pregnant and we hadn't told anyone yet. I was already beginning to have morning sickness and I was worried about how I was going to fast on Yom Kippur. My Rav said it was more important to fast than to daven in shul, so I should spend the whole day in bed or on the couch. He explained how to do shiurim if I thought it was necessary. I asked him how I would know if it was necessary and he told me that in his experience, women tended to wait far too long to break their fasts because of the mesiras nefesh that is inculcated in us. Therefore, if I'm already starting to wonder if my weakness is significant enough to start shiurim then I should start immediately and if I don't start to feel better within a couple of hours or start to feel significantly worse then I should just break my fast entirely and drink as much as I could.

knish

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 4:44 pm
An IV on Yom Kippur is not uncommon. I don’t know anyone that has been told to do it for Tisha Bav. An IV is way easier than shiurim. For someone with HG, it is easy to get it covered by insurance. Hatzlacha.

Zehava

Post Wed, Jul 29 2020, 4:48 pm
IV is only done for Yom Kippur
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note