Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Experience/advice for baby with colic!!! Pls help

jfk92

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:10 pm
Hi Imas,
My otherwise happy, calm and good eating 3 wk old baby bh, has started screaming in what appears to be discomfort from 6-9pm. He is on a sensitive formula (I cant breast feed) and tried mylecone today but hasn't helped. Neither does a carrier or swing. He seems better when he is rocked but even that doesnt last too long. When this "period" ends- he goes to sleep about 5 hours as if nothing happened. But I can't hold him for 3 straight hours!! Physically cant do it- and I have a toddler to take care of. Any advice/tips that worked for you. Please share!!

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:12 pm
What you're describing isn't colic. It's normal for babies to have a crying period every day. If you think he's uncomfortable, would you try soy formula? My baby cried round the clock and was on sensitive formula. Since I switched him to soy, he's a different baby bh.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:17 pm
I had this with my baby. It was impossible! Turns out, he has food allergies, and he was in pain from what I was eating.

jfk92

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:20 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
What you're describing isn't colic. It's normal for babies to have a crying period every day. If you think he's uncomfortable, would you try soy formula? My baby cried round the clock and was on sensitive formula. Since I switched him to soy, he's a different baby bh.

So thats the weird part. My other son probably cried more daily as an infant, but this guy seems to just be uncomfortable and crying during this window. Im really unfamiliar with it. Im not really convinced its the formula considering he seems fine the rest of the day. But will loudly switch it if nothing else does the trick soon.

cupcake123

amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I had this with my baby. It was impossible! Turns out, he has food allergies, and he was in pain from what I was eating.

Same here!
My baby would not STOP crying for one year-
He was allergic to dairy Crying

jfk92

Blessing1 wrote:

So thats the weird part. My other son probably cried more daily as an infant, but this guy seems to just be uncomfortable and crying during this window. Im really unfamiliar with it. Im not really convinced its the formula considering he seems fine the rest of the day. But will loudly switch it if nothing else does the trick soon.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:21 pm
jfk92 wrote:

Does he burp after his feedings?
Maybe he has silent reflux. You can ask your doctor about giving Prevacid.

stillnewlywed

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:24 pm
It’s probably just his witching hour. Many kids have this, and it usually precedes their longest stretch of sleep for the night. The good news is that it usually disappears at 6-8 weeks.
Did you try babywearing during those times? A swing (while swaddled and with a paci)?
If he is pretty happy the rest of the day I wouldn’t think it’s an allergy or reflux.

mrs me

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:25 pm
I never had a baby with colic... but I did have a baby with a sensitive stomach

My babysitter introduced me to something called gripe water ... all natural ingredients that soothe the stomach (I dnt think for babies younger than 1 month...) I asked my doctor about it and he said it’s totally narishkeit but not harmful so I tried it and I found it was VERY helpful... she calmed down within minutes of giving it to her! I once tried it myself when I had indigestion and felt a huge difference! Of course ask your doctor

jfk92

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:33 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Does he burp after his feedings?
Maybe he has silent reflux. You can ask your doctor about giving Prevacid.

Yes he burps nicely halfway and after his feedings. And he usually keeps it all down and doesnt really have a problem generally. Could it be silent reflux only during one time of day?!

jfk92

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:34 pm
stillnewlywed wrote:
It’s probably just his witching hour. Many kids have this, and it usually precedes their longest stretch of sleep for the night. The good news is that it usually disappears at 6-8 weeks.
Did you try babywearing during those times? A swing (while swaddled and with a paci)?
If he is pretty happy the rest of the day I wouldn’t think it’s an allergy or reflux.

Yes! Ive tried these options. They worked to calm down my previous baby but nothing seems to keep him calm for more than 5 minutes during this "witching hour/hours"

jfk92

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 8:36 pm
mrs me wrote:
I never had a baby with colic... but I did have a baby with a sensitive stomach

My babysitter introduced me to something called gripe water ... all natural ingredients that soothe the stomach (I dnt think for babies younger than 1 month...) I asked my doctor about it and he said it’s totally narishkeit but not harmful so I tried it and I found it was VERY helpful... she calmed down within minutes of giving it to her! I once tried it myself when I had indigestion and felt a huge difference! Of course ask your doctor

Will ask my ped. Any particular brand? One month isnt too far away

mrs me

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:36 pm
jfk92 wrote:
Will ask my ped. Any particular brand? One month isnt too far away

I used “little remedies”

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 9:58 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
Same here!
My baby would not STOP crying for one year-
He was allergic to dairy Crying

My kids are gluten and diary intolerant (runs in my family actually), as they get older they tolerate it better.
My baby cried from 2 pm to 2 am straight. So I went off dairy, coffee and chocolate and very limited gluten. (Tried reintroducing the foods and he cried again so I knew I needed to stay off of all of those.)
The change was so fast and so drastic! Bh
Now at 14 months, I'm still nursing, when he was 6 months I tried coffee w a drop of milk and he tolerated it bh.
Now I still limit the offending foods but I do have a bit of it.
Also, from 2am -2 pm he was a delightful baby. It was like a switch.
So even if its just 3 hours a day that he is crying.... I would try switching formula.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 10:01 pm
colic calm. It was a life saver!

Beware its black so put on a bib when giving...

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 10:54 pm
Its called "kvetchy hour/s" and very very normal for babies to cry btwn 6 and 9pm. its not colic.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 11:23 pm
DD had such terrible colic! From newborn to 4 months, I was at my wit's end. She started screaming (not crying or kvetching, but SCREAMING!) from 7pm to 5am. All. Night. Long.

If I sat down with her she screamed. If I put her in her bed she screamed. The only thing I could do with her was hold her and pace around the house, and if I stopped pacing for too long, she screamed.

I kept telling myself "I love this baby. I davened for this baby. If this baby went away I would be sad." This was my mantra, and it helped keep me sane.

Eventually the pediatrician switched us to Enfamil Lacto-free formula. It's expensive, and you have to get it at a pharmacy. If the pharmacy is between shipments, you have do drive all over town to find a store that has it in stock, and then you have to buy up all that's left on the shelf. Running out is not an option!

With the Enfamil she calmed down quite a bit. The pediatrician also gave us the go ahead to start giving her thin rice cereal at 5 months, and with that she started sleeping mostly through the night.

No magic colic drops worked for her. No amount of extra burping, or propping up one end of her bed, or any of the other tricks and tips we got. We had to find the right formula, and we just had to hang in there until her gut was healed and mature enough to cope with everything.

By 6 months she was on soft food like mashed sweet potato, and she never looked back.

One thing I learned that was really important, is if you ever get so frustrated that you are afraid you are going to lose it, put your baby down in a safe place, and WALK AWAY. Make a cup of tea and sit on the front porch. It's better to let your baby cry for a few minutes, than to have you snap.

This too shall pass. Hug Hug Hug

snowflake1

Post Thu, Jul 30 2020, 11:41 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
colic calm. It was a life saver!

Beware its black so put on a bib when giving...

I second this
also, did you take his temperature? I had a really big scare when my baby was three weeks had a bad infection I didn’t even think to take his temperature until I saw swelling

Motherhood

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 5:09 am
Another vote for colic calm. It’s a form of gripe water, btw
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics