Home

TEACH ME! How to know when Trump is...
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  Last >>

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

itsmeima

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 11:26 am
How to know when Trump is joking or being serious?

For example:

I'm asking because after @fox posted this (below) it got me thinking. Maybe I just don't get Trump, maybe half the time he's just having fun. How do you know when he's joking?

Fox wrote:
Oh, for goodness sake! He's joking! The punch line, such as it is, is at the end: "It can only be my personality." It's not intended as a laugh riot -- just a little smile, because, in fact, so many people -- and certainly the press corps -- do dislike his personality.

He's also pointing out -- gently, for him -- that he feels the press is somewhat hypocritical in praising Dr. Fauci and criticizing him when, after all, Dr. Fauci is the one he's been consulting.

For all his braggadacio, President Trump also engages in self-deprication more than any president since President Reagan. I'm always mystified when people seem to miss it.

SixOfWands

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 11:47 am
It easy. When he gets called out because whatever he said was so unbelievably stupid that even his supporters are shocked, he was just joking. When his supporters agree with him, he was being serious.

More like he throws out trial balloons. If he's attacked for the sheer idiocy of whatever he said, its a joke, don't you stupid libs know that?

So, was he joking when he said that he wasn't sure that he would accept the results of the election? When, without evidence, he attacked the validity of mail in voting (which is no different from absentee voting, of course). When he suggested that the election be postponed, contrary to the requirements of the US Consittution, because its too dangerous to vote (but not too dangerous to open schools and other things). I guess we'll see how his base takes it.

PinkFridge

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 12:33 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
It easy. When he gets called out because whatever he said was so unbelievably stupid that even his supporters are shocked, he was just joking. When his supporters agree with him, he was being serious.

More like he throws out trial balloons. If he's attacked for the sheer idiocy of whatever he said, its a joke, don't you stupid libs know that?

So, was he joking when he said that he wasn't sure that he would accept the results of the election? When, without evidence, he attacked the validity of mail in voting (which is no different from absentee voting, of course). When he suggested that the election be postponed, contrary to the requirements of the US Consittution, because its too dangerous to vote (but not too dangerous to open schools and other things). I guess we'll see how his base takes it.

The first I heard of this election thing was part of an article that said, and Republican politicians are saying, No, Mr. President.

shoshanim999

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 1:04 pm
Well the good news is that at least you have the democrats and CNN who are wholesome and truthful. You never have to worry that anything they say is exaggerated or being said to achieve an agenda.

I think Joe Biden has a good strategy. Just don't say anything. This way nobody is to figure out what you mean.

icedcoffee

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 1:40 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
I think Joe Biden has a good strategy. Just don't say anything. This way nobody is to figure out what you mean.

So strange that I never seem to have a problem finding Joe Biden speaking, despite the weird insistence that his team has him bound and gagged in a bunker somewhere. For example, in April, Biden predicted that Trump would suggest delaying the election, and was immediately met with jeers that aged like milk:

"Former vice president Joe Biden’s unfounded accusation Thursday that President Trump wants to delay November’s election was not only clearly over the line but also unmasks how low the supposedly moderate Biden will go to win.... Biden chose to taint the president essentially with a charge of treason."

And then, huh, three months later, Trump suggests delaying the election. Now comes the scramble to explain why actually, that was self-deprecating humor that shows how he is an extremely stable genius.

Cheiny

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:17 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
So strange that I never seem to have a problem finding Joe Biden speaking, despite the weird insistence that his team has him bound and gagged in a bunker somewhere. For example, in April, Biden predicted that Trump would suggest delaying the election, and was immediately met with jeers that aged like milk:

"Former vice president Joe Biden’s unfounded accusation Thursday that President Trump wants to delay November’s election was not only clearly over the line but also unmasks how low the supposedly moderate Biden will go to win.... Biden chose to taint the president essentially with a charge of treason."

And then, huh, three months later, Trump suggests delaying the election. Now comes the scramble to explain why actually, that was self-deprecating humor that shows how he is an extremely stable genius.

Please show us when he has ever done what Trump does daily: make himself available for RANDOM reporters’ questions, not the 2 that Biden took a couple times, which were pre-planned, written on his paper which reporters to call on (no doubt he and his handlers had the questions and answers in advance, as you’ll notice him looking down at his notes to answer the softball questions, such as “”How do you feel about the Florida Marlins not being able to start playing baseball?”) .

What a joke he is. Can’t wait to see how he’ll try to get out of the debates.

Last edited by Cheiny on Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

chanatron1000

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:20 pm
Biden limits his availability to reporters because he or his team know he would say something stupid. Trump just says the stupid things.

Amarante

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:34 pm
People keep raising the bar. Biden is readily available on the media and has given major "speeches" in which he outlines his plans for the economy, Covid, race relations. He also has been conducting a series of zoom talks, town halls etc. which are accessible.

There is no reason for him to give a press conference at this point because he would just be asked repeatedly who his choice of VP is and he has announced that he will be announcing the decision next week.

Have people actually watched Biden or are they relying on right wing propaganda in terms of his cogency.

Given the word salad and completely idiotic statements Trump generally makes, I find it comical that Trump's supporters somehow feel that slandering Biden as being somehow "senile" is some kind of touche moment.

Cheiny

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:36 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
Biden limits his availability to reporters because he or his team know he would say something stupid. Trump just says the stupid things.

Oh it’s way past being stupid with Biden.

chanatron1000

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:37 pm
It's not nice to make fun of people in Biden's condition.

Cheiny

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:38 pm
Amarante wrote:
People keep raising the bar. Biden is readily available on the media and has given major "speeches" in which he outlines his plans for the economy, Covid, race relations. He also has been conducting a series of zoom talks, town halls etc. which are accessible.

There is no reason for him to give a press conference at this point because he would just be asked repeatedly who his choice of VP is and he has announced that he will be announcing the decision next week.

Have people actually watched Biden or are they relying on right wing propaganda in terms of his cogency.

Given the word salad and completely idiotic statements Trump generally makes, I find it comical that Trump's supporters somehow feel that slandering Biden as being somehow "senile" is some kind of touche moment.

Excusing him as never having to take unscripted, unplanned questions from reporters is shameful. No one knows where he stands on any issue, we never hear him speak off teleprompter without notes. Comparing him to Trump who makes himself totally available and is as open and transparent as can be, is beyond irrelevant and disingenuous.

But what else can you do with a candidate like Biden?

Last edited by Cheiny on Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

fleetwood

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:38 pm
Amarante wrote:

Biden is not the president,he doesn't need to give daily or even weekly press conferences.

Also,I've been saying for months that I want a copy of the Trump dictionary so I could know when he's joking.

Cheiny

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:46 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:

Oh I agree, it’s quite sad that his handlers are allowing him to run in his condition, for all the world to see.

flowerpower

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:53 pm
Still waiting to see videos of Biden speak voluntarily to reporters like ya’ll claim. The one I did watch yesterday reminded me of my grandmother when she was deep into her dementia state.

Cheiny

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:55 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Still waiting to see videos of Biden speak voluntarily to reporters like ya’ll claim. The one I did watch yesterday reminded me of my grandmother when she was deep into her dementia state.

It was downright embarrassing during the 2 times that he actually answered questions, (I believe it was 2 questions each time), he actually looked down at his papers, found the names of the reporters that were written on there, whom he was told to call on! Seriously?

chanatron1000

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 3:33 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Oh I agree, it’s quite sad that his handlers are allowing him to run in his condition, for all the world to see.

Something we can agree on then, for real. Maybe that's progress.

Cheiny

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 3:41 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
Something we can agree on then, for real. Maybe that's progress.

Indeed.

SixOfWands

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 3:49 pm
Cheiny wrote:
It was downright embarrassing during the 2 times that he actually answered questions, (I believe it was 2 questions each time), he actually looked down at his papers, found the names of the reporters that were written on there, whom he was told to call on! Seriously?

Seriously. He was intelligent and cogent. I guess you're not used to that anymore.

newcomer

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 3:50 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:

I agree. That's why I find a lot of Biden put downs to be tasteless and unkind. And I personally don't condone or participate in those. As Jews, we should have more compassion and refinement. There is a respectful way to refer to his issues.

However, he has been clearly faltering in all of his recent televised speeches and conferences. It is clear to anybody who is not in denial. It goes beyond a speech impairment. And it has progressed quite a bit from his last debate (with Bernie, prior to super Tuesday).

Cheiny

Post  Fri, Jul 31 2020, 3:52 pm
newcomer wrote:
I agree. That's why I find a lot of Biden out downs to be tasteless and unkind. And I personally don't condone or participate in those. As Jews, we should have more compassion and refinement.

However, he has been clearly faltering in all of his recent televised speeches and conferences. It is clear to anybody who is not in denial. It goes beyond a speech impairment. And it has progressed quite a bit from his last debate (with Bernie, prior to super Tuesday).

Very true. I find it amazing that anyone could even deny or ignore his very obvious mental decline. I guess when they hate Trump enough, they’d prefer and trust someone completely incompetent and mentally deficient. That’s what’s scary. Hopefully some will be honest with themselves to take what Rav Kamenetsky said to heart. Maybe their religious sides will prevail. One can only hope.
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 6 View latest: 24h 48h 72h