Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Braised Short Ribs With Marmalade Sauce

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 3:40 pm
I made these a few months ago in the winter but just discovered as I am organizing recipes.

This is an easy preparation and people will think it was a much more difficult preparation - which is the ideal way to cook in my opinion. The reverse which is when I slave over something and the result is mediocre is very disheartening. Crying

Like a braised food, it definitely is better the next day and it facilitates getting the excess grease out of the dish since you can just remove the solidified congealed fat.

This is not an overly sweet sauce because the soy sauce balances out the marmalade and marmalade and orange juice have both sour and bitter elements which balance well.

I did use her parchment technique and the result was excellent and it's easy enough to cut out some parchment paper. I did put a lid over it as well just because why not? Very Happy Every pot should have a lid - shidduch advice LOL

BRAISED SHORT RIBS WITH MARMALADE GLAZE

Excerpt From: Jane Green - Good Taste

When I went to culinary school, I learned the secret to excellent braising, which involves searing meat in hot fat to brown, then slow cooking in liquid, covering about ⅔ of the meat, in a heavy pot until the meat is tender enough to fall apart with the gentlest of prods.

The secret involves parchment paper. Instead of covering the pot with a lid, which leaves a large gap between the food and the lid allowing all the flavor to evaporate while cooking, they taught us to make a parchment paper lid. With my oval Le Creuset that I use for all braises, I cut the parchment, then roughly bend it over the empty pot to leave an imprint of the shape before cutting it out.

When the meat is ready to be covered, the parchment lid sits directly on top of the meat, essentially trapping all the flavor. It was the best thing I learned, apart from omelets, which I shall save for another time. It transforms dishes such as this.

SERVES 6

Ingredients:

12 beef short ribs
Salt and pepper
Olive oil (not extra-virgin), or vegetable oil
4 carrots, chopped
2 onions, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 sprigs fresh thyme
6 stalks of fresh parsley
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
2 cups chicken stock
1 can peeled tomatoes
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Glaze:

1 cup soy sauce
1 cup orange marmalade
1 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger

Method:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Whisk glaze ingredients in bowl. Add ribs and salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.

Heat oil in Dutch oven until sizzling. Quickly brown ribs on all sides in small batches, ensuring ribs don’t touch each other. Transfer to a plate.

Add carrots, onions and celery to same pan. Stir and scrape up all “sucs”—brown bits left by meat—for around 5 minutes, until vegetables are lightly browned.

Add thyme, parsley, peppercorns and bay leaf. Stir well.

Add ribs.

Add glaze, chicken stock and tomatoes.

Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Cover and put in oven for 2 hours or until meat is very tender.

Remove ribs when cooked. Strain remaining sauce through fine sieve, bring to a boil then simmer until reduced. Add salt and pepper to sauce, and finish with lemon juice.

Serve with polenta or smooshed potatoes or really any carb you might normally use to accompany a braised meat with sauce.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics