Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Curred Chickpeas From Joan's On Third

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 3:45 pm
Since I mentioned this in my "nut" thread, I thought I would add the recipe. It is a delicious way to prepare chickpeas

Joans on Third Street is a gourmet deli in Los Angeles. Obviously not kosher so it was nice to be able to try it at home.

It was extremely easy to put together and obviously can be made well ahead of time.

CURRIED CHICKPEAS FROM JOAN’S ON THIRD

Total time: 20 minutes, plus cooling time | Serves 4

Note: Adapted from Joan’s on Third.

1/2 cup diced onions
4 teaspoons best-quality olive oil
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste
Salt

1. In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, saute the onion in the olive oil until deep golden and crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently.

2. Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic and lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.

3. Add the chickpeas, cilantro and lemon juice and continue to stir to develop the flavors, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with one-fourth teaspoon salt, or to taste.

4. Cool the salad, then transfer it to a container, cover and refrigerate until chilled before serving, at least 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning and lemon juice as desired. This makes just over 3 cups salad.

Each of 4 servings: 238 calories; 9 grams protein; 37 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams fiber; 6 grams fat; 1 grams saturated fat; 0 mg. cholesterol; 2 grams sugar; 276 mg. sodium.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics