Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Children speaking very high-pitch and loud

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:32 am
These aren't my children so I'm only asking because I'm genuinely curious - my pregnancy is making my sensory issues worse and one of the things is sound....

SIL1 has two adorable twin 4yo twin boys. We're not super close so we don't see them too often, but whenever we do, I notice that they speak really loud, think screaming but to communicate normal things. They're just excited, high energy, playing, but they also speak in an extremely high pitch voice, almost like how someone sounds if they swallowed helium, so it's extremely jarring.

SIL2 just sent over a really cute video of her almost 4yo dd playing with her twin cousins, and you can see that niece was getting bothered in the video. One of the boys was asking (yelling) a question and she is repeatedly saying "sshhh, ssshh". Finally she sighs and walks away. It wasn't at all the focus of the video, DH and I just noticed it. Later in the video SIL2 asks her a question and you can hear the marked difference in how she talks (volume and pitch) to how the twins speak. She sounds typical to most children her age and she's a few months younger than them. She'll shriek or yell if she's throwing a tantrum or if she's calling someone far away, but not if they're standing right next to her and she's just playing.

I'm not close enough to SIL1 to ever say anything, so I'm asking purely for my own edification: is there a developmental thing related to pitch/volume? Is the boys' way of communicating totally normal if no one ever told them to use a quieter voice? I assume the high pitch is their speaking voice but the top-of-the-lungs volume just to communicate normal things, wouldn't that take a lot of energy? I guess my question is ultimately, why would 4yos speak in shouts?

happyone

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:39 am
first step would be to check the childs hearing. Children with decreased hearing sometimes speak louder as they dont hear themselves.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:44 am
happyone wrote:
first step would be to check the childs hearing. Children with decreased hearing sometimes speak louder as they dont hear themselves.

It might be a four-year old thing. My four-year old screams loudly. We had his hearing checked and there are no issues.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:48 am
My son has a compromised lung, that makes him speak high pitched and loud.
I was told at birth that this is a side effect of a lung issue and it will happen.
This is my story. Doesn't mean it's her kids story.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 5:48 am
My daughter isn’t loud but she’s high pitched. If she’s upset she gets loud and it’s like a cheese grater right on my nerves.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:03 am
it may be a tic

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:11 am
Some people just do this. I was on a plane to Israel once with a large family. They were all very respectful, but when mom spoke she was way too loud. I started listening carefully, and she used the same general words and positivity as everyone else, just always loud instead of usually soft.

There's a good chance she/they don't know. Ds often speaks too loud. I will point it out, he will say. "Thanks!", and then within a minute or two, go right back to it without knowing.

singleagain

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:13 am
This wouldn't work for all the time. And maybe not for kids, I never tried.... But if I'm having a conversation with someone who is loud, I soften my voice and lower the pitch and they automatically do the same. But I have to really think about doing it otherwise I end up being as loud as them.

silverlining3

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:25 am
Is your sil hearing impaired? I know a woman that is and her child talks in a crazy high pitched, loud voice. Can never seem to quiet her down.

lilies

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:30 am
It's something to work on in speech therapy, same as other speech issues. Modulating voice and energy or something. Waiting for a speech therapist's input.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:20 am
Thanks for the answers! I'm also interested in hearing from a speech therapist; just curious if it's a thing. Maybe it just doesn't bother the parents, and if it doesn't bother them, then they wouldn't say anything to the kids. I have no reason to assume anyone has a hearing issue, but then I guess I wouldn't know. I would sooner think parents just learn to tune out their kids if they hear it all day?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 7:37 pm
One of my neighbors kids talks like that and she always excuses him saying he has an issue that he can’t regulate his pitch and gets therapy for it ... I never heard of that prior

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 7:39 pm
Kids are kids.

one of many things some of them do that they learn to outgrow.

Honestly while it might be annoying for you, they are not your kids, and id hope this was the biggest problem any kid has.

cbsp

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:12 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
My son has a compromised lung, that makes him speak high pitched and loud.
I was told at birth that this is a side effect of a lung issue and it will happen.
This is my story. Doesn't mean it's her kids story.

I'm glad I read the comments before posting, was going to say the same thing.

My son also has a compromised lung. We had gotten used to his "Elmo voice" but he's been doing a lot better since he's had PT that focused on his breathing. (the Mary Massery method changed his life). We can tell that he's having a hard time breathing when his pitch gets higher and higher...

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:15 pm
My 3 year old is like that. His hearing was tested and it's fine. He has a hard time lowering his tone or whispering. He's always so high pitched. His voice isn't so powerful that it's annoying, so it's still cute, but he just got approved for speech therapy for this coming school year.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:36 pm
So I have a very loud voice and dh has a hi pitched voice. All our kids took the loud from me and hi pitched from him.. So ye.. Its normal. U dont wanna be in my house when my 2 year old twins have a tantrum. LOL

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Feb 29 2024, 5:40 am
Bumping this up. My daughter ,now 11, has always had a high pitched voice but as she's getting older it's not getting any lower . It's also quite loud when she gets excited.
Is this reason for concern? What can be done about it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics