Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
NY sleepaway camps dodged the bullet
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:03 am
There have been a number of stories in the news about sleepaway camps that have had cases of coronavirus, most recently a camp in Georgia.

Research and actual experience is proving that children can, in fact, spread the virus and get the virus. It seems like social distancing and using masks is helpful in slowing the spread.

It would seem like Cuomo was not so wrong for wanting to keep sleepaway camps closed. However, there have NOT been any substantial cases in the sleepaway camps here in NY, where thousands of kids have now been residing for a month.

Which, basically, proves that it is only political here in NY. People here already had the virus, thus, the kids in camp are fine. In other states, where they're still hotspots, kids are getting it.

Btw, it seems like Cuomo knows it too. He's not doing anything to close the sleepaway camps, thank God. It is beyond my understanding why he bothered with this order and court case altogether when he wasn't planning to enforce it anyway. Why put everyone through all the aggravation!?!

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:04 am
Control.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There have been a number of stories in the news about sleepaway camps that have had cases of coronavirus, most recently a camp in Georgia.

Research and actual experience is proving that children can, in fact, spread the virus and get the virus. It seems like social distancing and using masks is helpful in slowing the spread.

It would seem like Cuomo was not so wrong for wanting to keep sleepaway camps closed. However, there have NOT been any substantial cases in the sleepaway camps here in NY, where thousands of kids have now been residing for a month.

Which, basically, proves that it is only political here in NY. People here already had the virus, thus, the kids in camp are fine. In other states, where they're still hotspots, kids are getting it.

Btw, it seems like Cuomo knows it too. He's not doing anything to close the sleepaway camps, thank God. It is beyond my understanding why he bothered with this order and court case altogether when he wasn't planning to enforce it anyway. Why put everyone through all the aggravation!?!

No, it just suggests that kids with Coronavirus don’t generally get ill which we know already. The issue is them bringing it home with them and passing it on to others who are more vulnerable.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:09 am
Slate blue, actually what the news is saying is children in camps have been getting it outside of NY, where there are hotspots such as georgia. Todays ny times says hundreds of children in a camp got infected. They took precautions but didn't require masks. Drs think not wearing masks while singing and cheering contributed to the spread

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:15 am
The only differnence is that the NY kids had it already in March, and there's short term immunity, so they wouldnt get it now.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:16 am
Whoops. I was agreeing with you without realizing.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:19 am
That's exactly what I'm saying. Ny campers are not getting sick because they already had it. And, essentially, Cuomo knows it too seems like.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
That's exactly what I'm saying. Ny campers are not getting sick because they already had it. And, essentially, Cuomo knows it too seems like.

As time goes on, it appears that the frum community has very few cases but this decision was made a month ago before a pattern could emerge and if Jews were allowed to go to camp, what about kids from communities where they were not exposed?

exaustedmom

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:29 am
southernbubby wrote:
As time goes on, it appears that the frum community has very few cases but this decision was made a month ago before a pattern could emerge and if Jews were allowed to go to camp, what about kids from communities where they were not exposed?

This decision was made after tens of thousands demonstrated every day. Especially with allowing day camps, the ban on sleep away camps makes no sense

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You’re wrong . People already here reported half a sleep away camp the girls all lost their sense of taste and smell and the camp is making everyone keep it quite so they can continue on
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That’s ridiculous everyone Knows already that having it doesn’t stop you from getting it again

southernbubby

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:34 am
exaustedmom wrote:
This decision was made after tens of thousands demonstrated every day. Especially with allowing day camps, the ban on sleep away camps makes no sense

Many of us worried about a situation such as what happened in Georgia; that the kids would be in the middle of nowhere and get sick. At least, I figured that day camp would be able to shut down in a matter of hours if there was a problem.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:34 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
You’re wrong . People already here reported half a sleep away camp the girls all lost their sense of taste and smell and the camp is making everyone keep it quite so they can continue on

One person said something and that means its fact?

Mothers

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

The reason he had to go through with this order is because it applies to all camps - not just frum camps. The frum community got hit very hard and may have herd immunity, but other communities remain more vulnerable. He is the governor of the entire state, and he cannot issue orders that discriminate in favor of a specific population. It was/is essential that camps where herd immunity does not apply, remain closed, so all camps had/have to be prohibited. He may be aware that it is less of an issue in the frum community, so he is overlooking the existence of the frum camps, but based on current medical data, he was/is justified in the order. . . Not everything that we don’t like is antisemitic and/or political . . .

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:37 am
I'm curious if the kids were really sick or if they were just tested positive.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 10:20 am
What's the name of the camp where half the kids lost their sense of smell? If this info is true, wouldn't people know a specific camp name? Also, their obviously hot seriously sick if they dont need to see a doctor.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 10:38 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
One person said something and that means its fact?

Never fails to amaze me how a random anonymous poster says something without any details or facts to back it up and other posters will just believe it. Like, why?!

asmileaday

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 10:46 am
Quote:

People aka one poster and not even her child's camp. She "heard".
Sounds suspiciously similar as to when my child comes home whining "but Ma EVERYONE has it"....

asmileaday

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 10:47 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
No, it just suggests that kids with Coronavirus don’t generally get ill which we know already. The issue is them bringing it home with them and passing it on to others who are more vulnerable.

Which makes sleepaway camps much safer than daycamps.

Round and round the discussion goes. There's no end.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:45 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Never fails to amaze me how a random anonymous poster says something without any details or facts to back it up and other posters will just believe it. Like, why?!

Maybe because we’re frum women, I don’t lie and I don’t have a reason to want to tell a fake story ? But I guess people who sent their kids to camps despite dangers and risks that a lot of frum pediatricians said— so they have to right away say someone must be lying

Another mom

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 2:07 pm
Mothers wrote:
The reason he had to go through with this order is because it applies to all camps - not just frum camps. The frum community got hit very hard and may have herd immunity, but other communities remain more vulnerable. He is the governor of the entire state, and he cannot issue orders that discriminate in favor of a specific population. It was/is essential that camps where herd immunity does not apply, remain closed, so all camps had/have to be prohibited. He may be aware that it is less of an issue in the frum community, so he is overlooking the existence of the frum camps, but based on current medical data, he was/is justified in the order. . . Not everything that we don’t like is antisemitic and/or political . . .

I agree with you!!!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics