Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Kosher mac & cheese sauce

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:12 pm
Anyone know where to get the cheese sauce powder such as the kind that comes in Wacky Mac? I’ve called a bunch of manufacturers and none of them sell to private consumers, they only sell to stores. Or any ideas how to make a cheese sauce powder at home using a microwave or toaster oven? TIA!

HH613

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:28 pm
I’ve been wanting to buy the powder too without the noodles. If anyone figures out how to do that it love to know!

Raisin

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 5:05 pm
2 pretty easy ways to make mac and cheese. Disclaimer: I had the powdered stuff once and thought it was awful.

Cook pasta. Throw grated cheese into pot with drained pasta and stir around until it melts. (or stick in microwave) Add tomato sauce or spices if you like. My kids love this and its so easy.

Or make a classic mac and cheese. Melt butter, add flour, milk and stir and until thick. Add grated cheese.

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 5:51 pm
Raisin, I've tried both of those, but nowhere near as good (IMO ;-)) as the boxed type. (Plus I have had zero success with many tries of making the classic sauce - haven't managed to get the creamy consistency).

Any more tips are great!

MiriFr

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 7:34 pm
To get it really creamy, you gotta use like every dairy product you own.

Start by making a roux of equal parts butter and flour.
Then add milk. However many tablespoons you used of each butter and flour, that’s how many cups of milk (Ex 2 Tb flour, 2 Tb butter, so 2 C milk). Let boil a few minutes until it thickens.
Then lower the heat (OR IT WILL CLUMP) and throw in cheddar and mozzarella.
Some cream cheese.
Salt and pepper.
And toss with your macaroni.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:49 pm
And mustard powder.

Simple1

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 8:59 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:
Raisin, I've tried both of those, but nowhere near as good (IMO ;-)) as the boxed type. (Plus I have had zero success with many tries of making the classic sauce - haven't managed to get the creamy consistency).

Any more tips are great!

American cheese should melt smooth and creamy. Not as health as other cheese, but neither is Wacky Mac healthy. And as mentioned above, mustard powder.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:04 pm
Don't use flour. Plain cheese will not be smooth either.
In a medium saucepan combine 2 slices American cheese, 1 cup shredded cheese, 1/2 cup milk and 1 Tbsp butter. Mix over a medium flame until creamy.
Add 4 cups cooked drained pasta and toss to coat. Very creamy.

abs

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:09 pm
Condensed tomato soup! Heat up a can and melt slices of American cheese into it until you have that orangey color. Pour over macaroni and mix well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics