Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Private Schools Not Allowed to Open In Person!!!
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:17 pm
I live in Silver Spring, MD and the county just issued a mandate requiring that PRIVATE schools begin school with distance learning only! If you feel that private schools should be allowed to open in-person, while following CDC guidelines, please help by signing the petition!

https://www.change.org/p/gover.....false

Raw

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:24 pm
I’m not sure where MD is but this is terrible. This is to the detriment on children and when we look back we will see how wrong we were.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:26 pm
My worst nightmare (for valid reasons. Second nightmare after illness)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:27 pm
Raw wrote:
I’m not sure where MD is but this is terrible. This is to the detriment on children and when we look back we will see how wrong we were.

MD is Maryland. I know Crying . My children learned almost nothing with distance learning last year and one of them really suffered from the lack of socialization.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:27 pm
Raw wrote:

US State on the mid Atlantic coast. Washington DC is in part of MD.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:30 pm
Raw wrote:

MD is Maryland, the state under Pennsylvania.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:44 pm
This generated a 73 page thread in 2 days on a non-Jewish forum that I read: https://www.dcurbanmom.com/jfo......page

A lot of people are unhappy, not just the Jewish community.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:49 pm
Op, I'm really confused is this just for silver springs? Bec I'm in Baltimore and all the private schools here sent out updates that they are opening in person 5 days per week but w/ certain guidelines. .(social distancing, masks etc.. )

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:52 pm
The governor left it up to local districts to decide. So far, I think all public schools are opening remotely, but most counties are allowing private schools to open. I guess it can still change, though, depending on the numbers.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:54 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Op, I'm really confused is this just for silver springs? Bec I'm in Baltimore and all the private schools here sent out updates that they are opening in person 5 days per week but w/ certain guidelines. .(social distancing, masks etc.. )

This does not include Baltimore. Only Montgomery County. Silver Spring is a part of Montgomery County.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 3:59 pm
I live in another state, and while private schools are not required to have only distance learning, it is being recommended. Our school sounds like it really might stay closed. Parents are all very unhappy!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 4:00 pm
The mandate camp down on Friday. Until then, our schools were planning for in-school learning too, with masks, distancing, and an option for online learning for families that need it. Some of the impacted Jewish schools are Torah School, Yeshiva of Greater Washington, Berman Hebrew Academy.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 4:03 pm
Its not all of maryland (for those with f you asking/wondering) and I read that the governor doesn't agree with this decision and does not think it was the right thing to do.
Good luck. That is hard. I'm in Baltimore but have relatives in Silver Spring.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 4:08 pm
Yikes.. I really feel for you in silver springs.. (this is also my 2nd worst nightmare after getting sick.. distance learning did not work out well for my children at all- academically or socially... and after that negative experience they told me if school is on zoom please don't sign us up:)

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 4:23 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

I’m also in Baltimore. I send to TA and Bnos and I live in Baltimore City. I’m really worried our schools will also be told we can not open. Young has an itchy trigger finger. I’m worried he will do the same as Montgomery County.

PinkFridge wrote:
US State on the mid Atlantic coast. Washington DC is in part of MD.

No, it is not. It is its own district and not part of MD at all. It shares borders with Maryland and Virginia but is not part of either. Google it.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 4:31 pm
Notably, Montgomery County private schools are among the best in the country, and include the schools that elected officials send their kids to. Including Barron Trump, who is supposed to start high school in Potomac, MD at a school I used to play volleyball against when I was growing up and went to what is now Berman.

So the schools are full of politicians' kids and kids of people who work for the government. It should be interesting. Silver Spring people, what is corona like by you right now?

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 4:32 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
I live in another state, and while private schools are not required to have only distance learning, it is being recommended. Our school sounds like it really might stay closed. Parents are all very unhappy!!

I think that is a major chutzpah. I hope all the parents rally together and refuse to pay tuition.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 4:35 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
No, it is not. It is its own district and not part of MD at all. It shares borders with Maryland and Virginia but is not part of either. Google it.

You're right. I meant to be clearer. Just giving an idea for someone who didn't know where Maryland was.
And while we're at it, it's Silver Spring, not Silver Springs.

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 5:44 pm
I signed

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 5:57 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I signed

Thank you!!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics