Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Private Schools Not Allowed to Open In Person!!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 10:48 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
I find it so ironic in some locales and states in which local schools decided in part based on pressure from teachers unions to shut down and not reopen in person their advocates are saying how great local can decide but then when locales decide to open suddenly thats not their prerogative. Oy.

Teachers in Montgomery County private schools do not want to go back in person. But they are not unionized so they do not have much clout.

cozyblanket

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 10:57 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Teachers in Montgomery County private schools do not want to go back in person. But they are not unionized so they do not have much clout.

How do you know this? Can you speak for all private school teachers? The SS teachers I spoke to today are so upset.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:02 pm
cozyblanket wrote:
How do you know this? Can you speak for all private school teachers? The SS teachers I spoke to today are so upset.

Agreed. The teachers I spoke with want to go back. My childrens' school was going to allow teachers to zoom into class if they or their family members are high risk. I of course have not spoken to tons of teachers, but I am wondering where you got your information from.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am not a lawyer. A law firm is considering the case. My understanding is that while they do technically have the authority, it cannot simply be applied to force shut downs at whim. The issue here is that they did not even review the schools' plans. There needs to be a basis for shutting down private schools, or any other institutions/businesses for that matter. They did not issue guidance or metrics under which reopening would be acceptable. They simply said they will reevaluate at the end of Sept. So, while they do have the power to shut down, they have abused that power and applied it inappropriately. You cannot say that data necessitates this, when the AAP clearly states otherwise.

I'm not a lawyer either. But how is this different than various counties choosing to close down restaurants or indoor dining etc at whim so to speak. Which has happened on and off. I don't see how a lawsuit for this specific type of business will have any merit. Especially since they aren't closed down, they can teach digitally. I think your whole post is wishful thinking. I think you would have better luck lobbying for day care options to be provided, like in AA County.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:26 pm
cozyblanket wrote:

I cannot speak for all private school teachers. I am not a teacher. I know around ten teachers who have told me they do not want to start until it is safe and they do not think it is safe now. Many teachers are high risk because they are middle aged or older or because they have a preexisting health condition.

All the teachers that I know were paid for teaching through distance learning and will be paid if school goes to distance learning again. Also, they are comfortable with technology.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:32 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
I'm not a lawyer either. But how is this different than various counties choosing to close down restaurants or indoor dining etc at whim so to speak. Which has happened on and off. I don't see how a lawsuit for this specific type of business will have any merit. Especially since they aren't closed down, they can teach digitally. I think your whole post is wishful thinking. I think you would have better luck lobbying for day care options to be provided, like in AA County.

I agree. Montgomery County also has not opened up for indoor dining. I do not think the bars are open either. So the order to delay opening private schools is not inconsistent with what the county is doing. They have been opening up very slowly.

In the thread posted on p. 1 from DCUrban many parents are saying this is inconsistent with keeping daycare and summer camps open. But daycare is for younger kids. By the time children are in fourth grade and turning ten they can already transmit the virus as efficiently as adults. And summer camps are outdoors where there is less chance of transmission.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:42 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:

It is no different than shutting down other businesses. To my understanding, and I know nothing about law, these are rights guaranteed to us but the government does have authority to override those rights in an emergency. That being said, our rights are being infringed upon and the government encroachment on our rights must be fair and justified. I have no idea if the case has merit. The law firm looking at it will be working pro bono, and I leave it to them to decide whether or not to pursue.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:53 pm
I cannot speak for all private school teachers. I am not a teacher. I know around ten teachers who have told me they do not want to start until it is safe and they do not think it is safe now. Many teachers are high risk because they are middle aged or older or because they have a preexisting health condition.

All the teachers that I know were paid for teaching through distance learning and will be paid if school goes to distance learning again. Also, they are comfortable with technology.

They should come work at my kids' school where they were planning to allow high risk teachers to zoom into class Smile There would be a second teacher in the classroom. I think it's a great solution, even if it is not perfect.

That being said, if teachers cannot perform their job they can be let go. Parents should not sacrifice the well being of their children for the health needs of the teacher. New teachers can be hired if the schools cannot work something out with high risk teachers. I know it sounds harsh. It is harsh and unfair. But that's reality. People who cannot perform their job need to find a different job. However, I am all for doing everything possible to make it work, while ensuring the needs of kids are met. As I said, I think teachers zooming into class is a viable option which should make all teachers feel comfortable.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 11:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
As I said, I think teachers zooming into class is a viable option which should make all teachers feel comfortable.

Yes, I can imagine perfect discipline there...

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:01 am
Agree op

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:05 am
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
Yes, I can imagine perfect discipline there...

There is a second teacher in the classroom, in-person. I assume the second teacher may be a less experienced teacher, but they are someone who can keep the classroom focused.

I am open to other suggestions to make it work. I think this allows the kids to have their much needed socialization and to have two adults focused on their education. At the same time, it allows high risk teachers to keep their jobs. I think this is an approach worth trying. What is not okay is that some teachers (not all) are holding our students' well being hostage with unreasonable demands. We need solutions. The kids should not be staying home, where their many needs are not being met, because some teachers are uncomfortable returning to school.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:08 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Agree op

Thank you Smile I would so appreciate if you could sign the petition.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There is a second teacher in the classroom, in-person. I assume the second teacher may be a less experienced teacher, but they are someone who can keep the classroom focused.

I am open to other suggestions to make it work. I think this allows the kids to have their much needed socialization and to have two adults focused on their education. At the same time, it allows high risk teachers to keep their jobs. I think this is an approach worth trying. What is not okay is that some teachers (not all) are holding our students' well being hostage with unreasonable demands. We need solutions. The kids should not be staying home, where their many needs are not being met, because some teachers are uncomfortable returning to school.

The teachers aren't just "uncomfortable" returning to school. They are at real risk. School is more dangerous for them than being in retail because teachers are in close contact with children for many hours a day.

The second wave in Israel started when older kids went back to school. Teachers have become ill. Teachers have died. Teachers have spread it to others.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:25 am
The teachers aren't just "uncomfortable" returning to school. They are at real risk. School is more dangerous for them than being in retail because teachers are in close contact with children for many hours a day.

The second wave in Israel started when older kids went back to school. Teachers have become ill. Teachers have died. Teachers have spread it to others.

You are 100% correct- teachers have valid health concerns and the schools should work with them to make accommodations to the best of their ability. But if the teachers cannot come to an agreement with the school and if they cannot perform their job in a satisfactory way then they should be let go, as would be the case in any other profession which does not have a powerful union. I talked about this a few posts back-

Parents should not sacrifice the well being of their children for the health needs of the teacher. New teachers can be hired if the schools cannot work something out with high risk teachers. I know it sounds harsh. It is harsh and unfair. But that's reality. People who cannot perform their job need to find a different job. However, I am all for doing everything possible to make it work, while ensuring the needs of kids are met. As I said, I think teachers zooming into class is a viable option which should make all teachers feel comfortable.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:42 am
To everyone who signed- thank you so much for your support! The community is pursuing multiple avenues and hopefully our hishtadlus, along with our tefillos, will achieve a positive outcome for our children.

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 12:42 am
If these decisions are being made on a county-by-county level, how will signatures from a bunch of people who don't even live in that county help?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:01 am
DrMom wrote:
If these decisions are being made on a county-by-county level, how will signatures from a bunch of people who don't even live in that county help?

Local signatures are of course better, but we are looking for numbers on the petition. Also the petition is to the Maryland state governor, who is said to be focused on a presidential run in 2024, so he will be focused on his broader image. I thought some people would be sympathetic to the cause because this could happen across the US.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 1:04 am
I am going to check out now. Honestly, I was looking to boost our signature numbers, not for a debate about the merits of the petition (although it was fun Smile ). Thanks to all who signed, supported, and engaged!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 9:37 am
What can the Maryland governor do? He gave them that authority but spoke about how he believes school should open. He's on your side. What more would the petition to him do?

aliavi

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 10:48 am
Imagine if nurses and doctors and pharmacists and grocers refused to go to work for months. Teachers should wear PPE and practice good hygiene habits while enforcing the same in their classrooms.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics