Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is it unreasonable to buy new clothing

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 4:10 pm
I gained some weight recently, and I am really working hard to loose it. I just started with a nutritionist and made some slow progress. However, right now most of my clothing is too tight on me. I haven’t worked since corona but I am starting to teach again in September. I want to buy myself a few new tops to feel good about myself when going back to work. My husband told me not to but now but to wait until I loose the weight. I tried explaining that I have clothing for when I loose weight, I just need some to feel good now. He thinks it will be an incentive to more to loose weight, to buy new clothing. Almost as if I don’t deserve something new now because of the weight gain. Is it unreasonable to want to buy myself something now and feel good, even if I might be a smaller size in a few months?

happy chick

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 4:14 pm
Absolutely not unreasonable. If you work and you need to get dressed every morning, you need to look nice and put together. And feel good about yourself.
I def wouldn't go all out and spend tons of money, but something new to make you feel good.

UnFarvosNischt

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 4:48 pm
Totally acceptable, it will help you feel good about yourself and improve your self-esteem (less emotional food 😄).
You can find clothes that will still fit you when loose your weight! Like oversized dresses etc.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 4:56 pm
Nope not unreasonable. Definitely get some clothes that properly fit. You are beautiful at any size.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 6:32 pm
definatly not unreasonable, I also put on a ton of weight and bought some new clothes on sale in a bigger size, my size keeps fluctuating and it definaltly makes a huge difference in my mood and confidence when my clothing fit well. its not a waste of money because even when u loose weight you can use the bigger size clothing in the beginning of a pregnancy. "if you look good you feel good"

Coffee beanz

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 7:49 pm
I find it hard to lose weight if I don't accept myself as I am. Feeling put together and positive about the way I look is a part of that.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:51 pm
You don't need that many tops to recycle through the week especially if you don't get flashy memorable types of styles.

You should avoid styles that need to be fitted to look good as if you pick a relatively easy fit, it will look okay for a longer period of time as you lose weight. I think tunic types of tops are ideal for this.

Also even after you lose weight, you can wear it around the house as comfortable lounge wear unless your weight loss is so extreme that you are drowning in it. Very Happy

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 6:07 am
I think you should get a couple of inexpensive tops to make you feel good about your appearance. I know my weight keeps fluctuating at the moment and it's really disheartening going through the wardrobe and seeing either things that are way too tight, just about okay and a couple of ones that really are too big. I bought myself a couple of tops in a sale and I feel much better. (also I bought a new bra which fits better and makes my overall weight look better.)

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 7:51 am
Also there’s the tznius issue, if that’ll help him understand.

No, your wife shouldn’t have to show up at work every day in tight clothing just because she gained a little weight.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I gained some weight recently, and I am really working hard to loose it. I just started with a nutritionist and made some slow progress. However, right now most of my clothing is too tight on me. I haven’t worked since corona but I am starting to teach again in September. I want to buy myself a few new tops to feel good about myself when going back to work. My husband told me not to but now but to wait until I loose the weight. I tried explaining that I have clothing for when I loose weight, I just need some to feel good now. He thinks it will be an incentive to more to loose weight, to buy new clothing. Almost as if I don’t deserve something new now because of the weight gain. Is it unreasonable to want to buy myself something now and feel good, even if I might be a smaller size in a few months?

Tell him that really hurts your feelings that he doesn’t think you deserve new clothes because you gained some weight. But really do you need his permission to buy appropriate clothes?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:25 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Tell him that really hurts your feelings that he doesn’t think you deserve new clothes because you gained some weight. But really do you need his permission to buy appropriate clothes?

No I don’t need his permission. I am planning on buying some new things. I just wrote this post to vent and feel better about buying the clothing. Sometimes I don’t know if I’m crazy or not lol

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:26 am
Thanx for all the replies. Does anyone know of a store that has bigger sizes and is not too expensive?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:28 am
You don't need an "incentive" to lose weight. People have been using that as an excuse for bullying for years.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics