Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Activities in the Berkshires

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:14 pm
We hope to get away for a brief trip to the Berkshires (Massachusetts) later this month. We are family with teen kids. They can do a few museums, but not too many. I'm hoping to find waterfall hikes, pick your own farms or corn mazes, or other teen-friendly activities that aren't too expensive. Any ideas? Thank you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 02 2020, 9:15 pm
Updated to say: we're coming from the NY area, so driving up via CT. Any ideas of activities or places to go on the way there or the way home that aren't too far off our route would be helpful as well.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 2:38 am
We went to mount grey lock, there were some nice hikes there.
The Cascades trail, park by the YMCA supposed to be a nice hike
Where will you be staying?

Lizzie4

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 3:25 am
We went to a really fun sip and paint in the area, a museum on how they produce paper for US currency (with cool projects for kids)

ssspectacular

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 5:52 am
Lizzie4 wrote:
We went to a really fun sip and paint in the area, a museum on how they produce paper for US currency (with cool projects for kids)

It's called Crane's Museum. Check if they are open.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 12:07 pm
Any good places to stay? Many places are booked up already till September

thanks

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 12:29 pm
We hiked bish bash falls, and biked a rail trail nearby. There was a bike rental there.

jkw

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:09 pm
On the way sort of is Mystic Seaport. There is a Berkshires part of the Appalachian Trail. The Price Chopper grocery stores have some kosher products and Chabad may have summer minyanim. There is also the Berkshire Botanical Garden. Lots of farm stands. But be aware that there is a lot of speeding on the roads and no sidewalks. Enjoy!

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:43 pm
is the bike rental and bike trail open this year?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 11:39 pm
We went on a hike today called Cascades trail, you park near the YMCA. It's a very nice easy family trail with a beautiful waterfall at the end

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:17 am
Western Mass has places to Zipline, white water rafting, mountain coaster. Some are a drive from the Berkshires proper I think, but not far.

Call/Google everything before you go. Museums are all limited timed tickets, must book online ahead of time. Farms have restrictions also I heard...I believe corn mazes are not allowed, and can't eat in field when picking blueberries and other fruit, can only pick and bring home.

Basically, it's a really different year for vacationing. Plan ahead! Bring masks obviously.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 4:46 am
Isn’t it near jiminy peak?

sarahmalka

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 10:41 am
The Berkshires is gorgeous! One of my favorite places in the world. I don't know about where to stay, check for Air BnBs, also check in Pittsfield for less expensive hotels/motels. (Pittsfield and other towns in northern Berkshires is a less swanky area than the southern Berkshires.) Places to hike or swim: Bash Bish falls, Ice Glen (in Stockbridge), the Stockbridge bowl for swimming (located in Stockbridge and Lenox), also the town of Lee has a town lake I can't remember what it's called. Norman Rockwell Museum is nice in Stockbridge, and there's a botanical garden in Stockbridge. If you head up towards North Adams there's a giant modern art museum called Mass MoCA that always has interesting installations and sometimes does outdoor events like movies projected on the wall. Lenox is a cute town for shopping, very high end. Great Barrington is a more funky/hip town and there's a place to hike and swim there too just outside of town in the Housatonic river.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics