Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Finding a job with no degree/diploma for men
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:14 pm
Not sure where to put this post!

So my husband is working now. He's been in yeshiva since a young boy but was a bit burned out and needed a change. He's never worked for an employer before (he use to work for family) so this has been a learning experience. Its a low paying job, but its a consistent pay check BH.

My husband has no HS diploma, no degree, no higher education.
How does the system expect these men to be successful in the future when they have to find jobs to provide for their families but they just dont have the tools?

It would be too time consuming to study for his GED, then start a BA then a masters...

what do most men do??

And please no bashing. BH this is the lifestyle we grew up and we're happy with, but just trying to understand the ramifications our lifestyle has on employment option.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

So my husband is working now. He's been in yeshiva since a young boy but was a bit burned out and needed a change. He's never worked for an employer before (he use to work for family) so this has been a learning experience. Its a low paying job, but its a consistent pay check BH.

My husband has no HS diploma, no degree, no higher education.
How does the system expect these men to be successful in the future when they have to find jobs to provide for their families but they just dont have the tools?

It would be too time consuming to study for his GED, then start a BA then a masters...

what do most men do??

And please no bashing. BH this is the lifestyle we grew up and we're happy with, but just trying to understand the ramifications our lifestyle has on employment option.

I know plenty of yeshiva guys who did this. You need to invest time or money if you want to make $$$.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:17 pm
Honestly I'd recommend he start working towards a GED. There are a lot of options that will be closed to him without at least that. And the longer he puts it off the less likely he will end up getting it, or will just further delay his ability to seek a higher paying job.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:18 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I know plenty of yeshiva guys who did this. You need to invest time or money if you want to make $$$.

My husband is close to 30 and we have a few kids already. We're already living off my salary but guess you're right.
Do you know how they went about doing this?
They start off with a GED then move on to college for an associates or bachelors?

Also, english isnt my husbands first language... hes never taken standardized testing. Hes nervous how he would even study. Its hard to imagine not being able to do that because most of us have grown up taking tests our whole lives but when faced with that option its daunting

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My husband is cost to 30 and we have a few kids already. We're already living off my salary but guess you're right.
Do you know how they went about doing this?
They start off with a GED then move on to college for an associates or bachelors?

Also, english isnt my husbands first language... hes never taken standardized testing. Hes nervous how he would even study. Its hard to imagine not being able to do that because most of us have grown up taking tests our whole lives but when faced with that option its daunting

What does he WANT to do? Is there anything in particular that interests or excites him?

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:20 pm
What type of job would he be able to get with a GED that would otherwise not be available to him?

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:20 pm
He will need to take classes. This is not something he will be able to do on his own. Better to working towards a GED at 30 than at 40.
He may not go the extended college route. But I witness a (female) friend try to move from a bad job situation. She had no high school diploma or GED and most jobs were closed to her.
Most companies (unless you are packing in a warehouse maybe) require a high school diploma or equivalent.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:21 pm
Don’t blame the system.

Look at your current circumstances and make decisions.

There are many successful business people that have no formal schooling.

He should have a vision and work towards it.

singleagain

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:21 pm
Would he consider trade school? I don't know if you need a ged for that... But if he can learn a trade, carpenter, electrician, plumber, welder, something like that... Plus he might be able to get on the job training.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:22 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
What does he WANT to do? Is there anything in particular that interests or excites him?

Im gonna show him that test that HS kids take to give them a better idea of what job to go into. Forgot what they're called. Hes very handy he likes building. Not sure what he could do with that

amother
Green

amother [ OP ] wrote:

I don’t think the system expects men to financial support their family. Otherwise he would have received the tool he needs to do that.

amother
OP

amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Don’t blame the system.

Look at your current circumstances and make decisions.

There are many successful business people that have no formal schooling.

He should have a vision and work towards it.

Im not blaming the system but Im allowed to question it. Maybe I should have put this in the chareidi forum.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:23 pm
singleagain wrote:
Would he consider trade school? I don't know if you need a ged for that... But if he can learn a trade, carpenter, electrician, plumber, welder, something like that... Plus he might be able to get on the job training.

Not sure, but some of these you likely do need a high school diploma to be accepted.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:23 pm
My brother got a job as a website designer.

He signed up to a few courses online, no ged needed. It took about a year.

And got a good paying job

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:24 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I don’t think the system expects men to financial support their family. Otherwise he would have received the tool he needs to do that.

My husband grew up in Israel its very very different there. We live in Lakewood now and all our neighbors are still in learning at his age so I just wonder how people are able to do that as they get older and as their kids get older too (BH). Will speak to him about GED. Guess its a positive outlook on corona, bh more time on our hands so he can do this on the side

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:25 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

Do you know any info about the course?

amother
Coral

amother [ Lemon ] wrote:

He lucked out. This may or may not happen for op's husband. If her husband has a strong talent in a specific area, then maybe. But he would still need decent English to successfully complete those classes.

singleagain

amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Not sure, but some of these you likely do need a high school diploma to be accepted.

I just did a quick Google search:

Technical schools, also known as trade schools, usually require a high school diploma or GED. However, it is possible to attend these schools without having either. Many schools offer free GED prep and testing to students as part of their educational packages and others will grant admission based on other factors. Many trade schools require students to pass proficiency testing in the trade area of interest in lieu of a GED or high school diploma. For example, Columbia-Greene Community College in Hudson, New York, is among a number of schools that admit students without diplomas or GEDs, so long as they meet other pertinent criteria.

So it seems there are options. But you need to know your stuff.

Frumme

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:28 pm
GED exam isn't as difficult as it's made out to be. It's the time pressure that psychs a lot of people out, but if you study it isn't too bad. There are many workbooks and tutors who make the process straightforward (from what I've been told).

You can take the exam in English, Spanish, or French, so if your DH is better at Spanish or French, then that may be an option (although an ESL exam might be required).

His options will open up a lot with a GED. Otherwise he could try teaching himself how to code. Takes time but many people are hired without degrees if they're good.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:28 pm
This is our situation, Im trying to stay positive and encourage my husband.

If english isnt his first language, he's never taken a test before in his life (other than fahers) how would we go about studying for all these exams? The GED isn't easy! Especially if there's writing. My husband cant spell so correctly (in English).

He is NOT stupid! He's curious to learn. Just never had the opportunity to learn secular subjects
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics