Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Finding a job with no degree/diploma for men
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Not sure where to put this post!

So my husband is working now. He's been in yeshiva since a young boy but was a bit burned out and needed a change. He's never worked for an employer before (he use to work for family) so this has been a learning experience. Its a low paying job, but its a consistent pay check BH.

My husband has no HS diploma, no degree, no higher education.
How does the system expect these men to be successful in the future when they have to find jobs to provide for their families but they just dont have the tools?

It would be too time consuming to study for his GED, then start a BA then a masters...

what do most men do??

And please no bashing. BH this is the lifestyle we grew up and we're happy with, but just trying to understand the ramifications our lifestyle has on employment option.

You don’t want bashing, but you want to understand the ramifications this lifestyle has on employment options?! Any attempt to help you understand will come across as bashing.
Simply put, it’s not sustainable. It is not setting up children for success, to be able to be independent adults.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:29 pm
So he would have to be studying higher math, writing, etc along with vocational studies in a trade school. Not so simple....if this is the route he wants to go, he should start taking basic GED classes now. I have relatives who did the traditional Israeli chareidi educational boys scene. They stopped officially learning math around the time they learned long division.
No fractions, decimals, algebra, geometry....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:29 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
You don’t want bashing, but you want to understand the ramifications this lifestyle has on employment options?! Any attempt to help you understand will come across as bashing.
Simply put, it’s not sustainable. It is not setting up children for success, to be able to be independent adults.

I do not want to talk lashon hara about a lifestyle.
But yes maybe I should have posted this on the chareidi/yeshivish forum.
Does anyone know how I can move it?

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im not blaming the system but Im allowed to question it. Maybe I should have put this in the chareidi forum.

What you do now, is decide how will you educate your child.

I have my kid in “the system” and I supplement his education to give him the skills I believe can give him a better chance in his future.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:30 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
So he would have to be studying higher math, writing, etc along with vocational studies in a trade school. Not so simple....if this is the route he wants to go, he should start taking basic GED classes now. I have relatives who did the traditional Israeli chareidi educational boys scene. They stopped officially learning math around the time they learned long division.
No fractions, decimals, algebra, geometry....

He doesnt (yet) know any of this so well. Stopped learning math around fifth grade

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:31 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
What you do now, is decide how will you educate your child.

I have my kid in “the system” and I supplement his education to give him the skills I believe can give him a better chance in his future.

That is exactly what we plan on doing.
My husband regrets that he wasnt prepared and he is pushing for our children to get higher education BH.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is our situation, Im trying to stay positive and encourage my husband.

If english isnt his first language, he's never taken a test before in his life (other than fahers) how would we go about studying for all these exams? The GED isn't easy! Especially if there's writing. My husband cant spell so correctly (in English).

He is NOT stupid! He's curious to learn. Just never had the opportunity to learn secular subjects

There are private tutors who specialize in this (not cheap, though, I am sure).
Or, try contacting local public school system, often they offer night classes for adults who need to get their GED (I assume free or just a nominal fee).

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:34 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
There are private tutors who specialize in this (not cheap, though, I am sure).
Or, try contacting local public school system, often they offer night classes for adults who need to get their GED (I assume free or just a nominal fee).

thats a great idea. shame its summer now + corona... Sad
Will contact the public school this week

singleagain

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is our situation, Im trying to stay positive and encourage my husband.

If english isnt his first language, he's never taken a test before in his life (other than fahers) how would we go about studying for all these exams? The GED isn't easy! Especially if there's writing. My husband cant spell so correctly (in English).

He is NOT stupid! He's curious to learn. Just never had the opportunity to learn secular subjects

First: free online practice tests

https://ged.com/study/free_online_ged_test/

Let him see what the test is like and what he needs to gain more skill in.

Second: find courses/books/tutor... Maybe join a GED. Chat group. Talk to ppl who have done it.

Third: like anything else, practice. And as you do, you will find that you know more stuff then you realize.

Also, look at different study methods, find out what helps your husband and translate it.
Example: I hate lists and memorizing. So I put it to music. And that helps me remember. I can name all 50 states in alphabetical order because I learned it in a song in a fifth grade.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:36 pm
can anyone who has put in this situation give me hope that it is possible to get a degree at his age? to begin at the very very beginning with rudimentary math and poor spelling/writing abilities?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:37 pm
singleagain wrote:
First: free online practice tests

https://ged.com/study/free_online_ged_test/

Let him see what the test is like and what he needs to gain more skill in.

Second: find courses/books/tutor... Maybe join a GED. Chat group. Talk to ppl who have done it.

Third: like anything else, practice. And as you do, you will find that you know more stuff then you realize.

Also, look at different study methods, find out what helps your husband and translate it.
Example: I hate lists and memorizing. So I put it to music. And that helps me remember. I can name all 50 states in alphabetical order because I learned it in a song in a fifth grade.

thank you for taking the time out of your busy night to help us Heart

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:37 pm
Schooling is one option. It is an investment of time and money. Many kids are given a full education when young and they follow through to college/ trade school , which is more time and money. Then they get a job at a higher salary.

Another option is opening a business. Or buying an existing one. It is an investment of time and money. And B’Ezer Hashem, the business becomes profitable.

Another option is working for someone where there is potential for growth. For example a person Stocking boxes , becomes manager, becomes partner...

When a person gives himself fully to doing the best job at his position, B’Ezer Hashem he will succeed.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
can anyone who has put in this situation give me hope that it is possible to get a degree at his age? to begin at the very very beginning with rudimentary math and poor spelling/writing abilities?

To be brutally honest? It's not likely especially if he needs to be working along the way to provide for his family.
I think his best bet is a GED+ trade school. You can make a decent living that way. However, it won't be easy and he will have to stay very motivated and work hard.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:40 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
To be brutally honest? It's not likely especially if he needs to be working along the way to provide for his family.
I think his best bet is a GED+ trade school. You can make a decent living that way. However, it won't be easy and he will have to stay very motivated and work hard.

Thanks for your honesty.

Does it matter that our kids are young (babies) and Im working as a therapist for DOE?

singleagain

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank you for taking the time out of your busy night to help us Heart

No problem. Also, there are tons of websites and apps with practice tests and info. So look around do some googling.

I also strongly recommend going on websites like reddit and quora and searching them for GED experiences bc that will get you real life answers. From ppl who have done this. Even just put GED site:reddit.com & GED site:quora.com into Google and you'll get tons of threads.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for your honesty.

Does it matter that our kids are young (babies) and Im working as a therapist for DOE?

Do you mean, you don't need his salary yet? That will help buy you some time.
I still don't see it likely he will end up getting an advanced degree like you prefer, you mentioned a masters, which is a graduate degree. If he is just starting to work on rudimentary English reading and writing and math skills.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I know a 40 year old, who had a hs diploma, go to cope and started out jr. accounting and then accounting and still working at it.

I know a 38 year old , who this year left kollel and self taught to become a title closer.

One is never to old to go get a job. Don’t say it’s to late.make it happen. Stay focused.

And daven

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:44 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Do you mean, you don't need his salary yet? That will help buy you some time.
I still don't see it likely he will be able to get an advanced degree like you prefer, you mentioned a masters, which is a graduate degree.

I took off for maternity leave before corona hit bad and then corona hit so I wasnt really working the past couple of months thats why my husband started to work.
OK will look into trade school though

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:44 pm
From reading this thread it doesn’t sound like college is for him.... good luck!

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:45 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

Earning a living is a CURSE given to Adam Harishon. It is never easy.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics