Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Finding a job with no degree/diploma for men
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:47 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
I know a 40 year old, who had a hs diploma, go to cope and started out jr. accounting and then accounting and still working at it.

I know a 38 year old , who this year left kollel and self taught to become a title closer.

One is never to old to go get a job. Don’t say it’s to late.make it happen. Stay focused.

And daven

Big big difference when starting out with a hs diploma. I didn't say her husband can't get a decent job. But if he only speaks and writes broken English, and has never taken a standardized test in his life, and stopped math instruction in 5th grade, it is unlikely he will end up completing graduate school.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:47 pm
How about insurance or sales?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:49 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Big big difference when starting out with a hs diploma. I didn't say her husband can't get a decent job. But if he only speaks and writes broken English, and has never taken a standardized test in his life, and stopped math instruction in 5th grade, it is unlikely he will end up completing graduate school.

the way you write that makes it seem like my husband is stupid and he's really not Sad
I wish it was different but this is what it is

ladYdI

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:51 pm
There are thousands of chasdidish Yiddish speaking men with no education who are doing very well financially. Almost every second week ami has one of those types in their business men written up in the business section! Lots are successful in Amazon, real estate, and do or manage work connected to construction. So many are computer geniuses, yes Using the same genara kup! The owners of so many successful businesses are without formal education! And so many educated men are stuck with no or low paying jobs.
In most of the chasdidush world formal English education is not Done but it does not directly result in no parnasa.

malki2

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:55 pm
There is a psychological test called the Strong Interest Inventory Test that gives a very good assessment of the types of jobs that a person would be good at. The entire test takes about an hour and you can take it online for a few dollars. From what I’ve seen, it is very good at pointing people in the right direction.

I’m suggesting this because while I’m personally all for higher education, the truth is that it may not be the right route for a Yeshiva guy in his thirties with not even a HS diploma. I would only suggest he go that route if one of his strong interests is in a field that requires it. Otherwise, there are plenty of fields in which he can make a good living. And which don’t require years of education. If he has a business head, he can try E-commerce. If he is handy, he can be a plumber or an electrician. If he likes computers, he can get a quick education and get something in programming or IT. Years of school is only a good route if the guy is academic and motivated and willing to invest years of his life before he sees any return. And many (most) times, starting salaries are on the low side as well. Of course it’s more of a “sure thing”, and usually results in a more secure and steady living, but it’s definitely not the only way to go.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Aug 03 2020, 11:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
the way you write that makes it seem like my husband is stupid and he's really not Sad

You are putting words in my mouth.
You said several times you wanted to know how likely it is he will get a master's degree with his English skills being poor and his math rudimentary. I was being honest. If you work in the public school system as you said, you should have a realistic sense of this yourself. Frankly I am starting to think you started this topic hoping to get people to bash the system rather than get actual concrete answers. I wish your husband the best of luck on his educational and job quest.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 12:15 am
The chances of him getting a decent job without a high school diploma or equivalent is pretty low. Trades require at least a high school diploma. He could probably be a laborer or a clerk. Not that there’s anything wrong with those jobs.

The fact is that it’s never too late to get a GED. It may take time. But if he doesn’t do it, in 5 years, he’ll still be in the same position he’s in now. If he does it, he could be on his way to a career by then.

Forget masters. Let him start with a GED. Talk to a career counselor, figure out what he’s interested in, and what he’s good at. If you start with talking about a master’s degree, it’s too daunting, he’ll never do it. One step at a time.

Good luck.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 12:27 am
That system doesn’t really seem to want men to succeed at parnassah.

WhatFor

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 12:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Responding on this because I disagree with those discouraging posts.

I agree 100% with 6ow. I think sometimes people just think "but if I go for a degree then I'll be 38 by the time..." And what they don't realize is they'll be 38 either way. The question is, when they reach 38, would they like to have that HS diploma/GED/degree or not?

On the scale of things, the GED is not terribly difficult. If your DH is generally bright, he'll be able to learn what he has to and pass. It might seem daunting, especially if he's ESL, but learning English well will anyway help his career prospects in the US.

In the age of COVID, remote learning may be slightly more challenging (depending on his personality), but if he's invested, he can do it. You might also want to find out about GED tutors in your community (make sure you get someone reliable). You already have your degree, so can probably help him with at least some of the GED level stuff if he has questions when the tutor isn't around. After he gets his GED, he can assess whether he wants to pursue college. There are plenty of night classes where he can keep his day job while going to school.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 12:41 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
You are putting words in my mouth.
You said several times you wanted to know how likely it is he will get a master's degree with his English skills being poor and his math rudimentary. I was being honest. If you work in the public school system as you said, you should have a realistic sense of this yourself. Frankly I am starting to think you started this topic hoping to get people to bash the system rather than get actual concrete answers. I wish your husband the best of luck on his educational and job quest.

Im sorry, Im just sensitive when it comes to this because I feel like others might think my husband is not smart because of this and because I see it with many of my own students and how others view them... but Im trying to stay positive. I didnt start this to get people to bash the system that wouldnt be so helpful to my question.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 12:42 am
Thank you so so much for all the suggestions.

Everything starts with taking the first step so we are going to look into the GED. If anything, my husband will feel proud of himself for being able to take an English standardized test. And then we will go from there.

Sending a lot of hugs to everyone that commented Smile

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 12:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im gonna show him that test that HS kids take to give them a better idea of what job to go into. Forgot what they're called. Hes very handy he likes building. Not sure what he could do with that

You mentioned that he's very handy, there's a lot of opportunity for handy jobs that don't require a degree and if done with enough foresight and motivation can earn more than jobs with degrees. Definitely get the GED and then see what trade school has to offer.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 3:28 am
Does he have any specific talents or strong areas? Personally I would skip the degree at this point and find a job in the heimish community where it won't be a big problem. DH has a few friends who took courses through pcs in the areas that interested them and bh are successful now.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 3:41 am
OP, I don't think your DH is stupid. My dad has such bad dyslexia that he is functionally illiterate. He grew up on a farm in a small town in Utah. He graduated high school with a D- average, and never went to college. He went into the army and learned electronics engineering, and is quite brilliant. I really look up to him for how hard he works against all odds.

Is your DH willing to do hard physical labor? My dad loves it, but some guys hate it. If your DD is willing, he could start right away at a janitorial job. You don't need a degree for that, you just need to follow instructions and have a good work ethic. Entry level pay is low, but there is a high turnover, and the longer he stays the faster he will get raises.

If he's willing to take a lower pay, he can also call around and find a deck and roofing company that will take him on as an apprentice. He can learn on the job. Those guys make a LOT of money! I know because I used to remodel houses.

In the long run, taking the GED and getting into a construction Union or painter's Union is the best way to go. He can take a janitorial job while studying for the test, and even if it takes him a year to get proficient, at least he can earn while he learns. Once he's passed the test, there's a whole world of things he can do.

On the other hand, if your DH doesn't want to do physical labor, that's harder. He'll have to get further training in the field he has an aptitude for, and without English skills that is going to be a real struggle.

All immigrants to new countries have the same difficulties. Please let him know that he's not the only one who's had to deal with this.

Lets_Eat_Pie

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 9:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so so much for all the suggestions.

Everything starts with taking the first step so we are going to look into the GED. If anything, my husband will feel proud of himself for being able to take an English standardized test. And then we will go from there.

Sending a lot of hugs to everyone that commented Smile

OP, you mentioned you work for the DOE - are you in a union? If so, some unions have educational programs and counsellors that help dependents get a GED or college degree. A friend in NYC is about to finish nursing school thanks to her mother's union training fund - it's a great deal if it's available to you.

ssspectacular

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 9:41 am
He has to be motivated, whatever he chooses. Spend time figuring out what he WANTS to do.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 9:43 am
It all depends on what field he wants to go into. In klei kodesh their are many jobs which don’t require any degree.

Lets_Eat_Pie

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 9:49 am
Adding - one other resource that I don't think has been mentioned yet is your public library. I don't know what they are like in Lakewood (perhaps someone else on this thread can enlighten) but here in NYC they run GED classes a few times a year. Of course, this may have changed with COVID. But another resource worth checking.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 9:00 pm
I want to add here - there are a lot of jobs - within the heimish community - that do not require a GED, high school diploma, or even high level English. He may start at the bottom, but many jobs do have opportunity to grow.

Of course if his ultimate goal is to become a professional then he would definitely need the GED, plus plus plus. But if his ultimate goal is "only" to make a parnasah for his family there are other options - within the heimish community. He shouldn't feel that he is stuck.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 9:10 pm
not everything needs a degree. what about construction?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics