Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Dh New job training is in a church ....allowed?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 10:30 am
My dh has been unsuccessful with finding a job.

Recently, a city office which applied to last year, just reached out to him that he was chosen.

He got fingerprinted and was cleared.

Now, they say there is a 3 hrs mandatory training BUT ALL TRAININGS ARE IN A CHURCH.

The job itself is of course not in a church, just the trainings which are required in order to start the job.

(He will ask a shaila) did anyone ever have this experience?

(I guess we are not supposed to earn this "extra" money ???? Because I dont think the rav will allow him to go into a church....)

lilies

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 10:33 am
Wait until you get an answer to your shayla before assuming this isn't money you were supposed to earn.
No need to rush Smile

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 10:40 am
Definitely ask. Many people have asked about 12 step meetings conducted in churches. A common answer is that if it's in a social hall/meeting room and not the sanctuary, it is often ok. So ask.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 10:45 am
Are you sure it has to be in a church? If it is a job like, for the census, in NYC at least there are non-church locations he might be able to request to do training in.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 10:45 am
My dh is in the construction field.
They were offered a contract w/ a church.
I don't remember the psak at this time.

But it's definitely a shayla

cbsp

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 10:54 am
I was trained for the 2010 census in the rec room of a church.

I discussed it with our Rov ahead of time and it was permitted for several reasons. The entrance was not the same as for the main sanctuary, the room was clearly dedicated for multiple purposes, there was a sign on the door indicating that there was training taking place, the space being utilized was being rented from the church, it wasn't a church sponsored event, etc.

I actually had a more difficult time halachic-wise with the meetings with my supervisor which took place at a Burger King (it was incredible, she took over a few booths and set up an office. In a fully functional restaurant. Blew my mind.).

Definitely worth a shaylah!

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 10:55 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Definitely ask. Many people have asked about 12 step meetings conducted in churches. A common answer is that if it's in a social hall/meeting room and not the sanctuary, it is often ok. So ask.

I thought this was pretty standard.

I would be surprised if they were holding the training program IN the religious part of the building as most churches used for community functions are large buildings with separate meeting and classrooms. This would be the same as large synagogues which typically hold anything but actual services in other parts of the building.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 11:01 am
I have to work in highly religious schools sometimes and most of them are attached to a a church.... so it is essentially the same building. I asked and was told that I can go into the building but not the "sanctuary" or whatever the main religious service room is..... still uncomfortable though Confused

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 12:52 pm
Ask a shayla. I know of many people that had to work or train in a church and it was allowed. I own a building a church rents from. I bought it like that and I was told it's fine. I wasn't sure if I should renew the lease now but was told I can. You never know. Ask a Rav.

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 1:57 pm
AYLOR but the answer will probably be it's fine as long as classes aren't held in the sanctuary or while services are going on so it's pretty obvious that your dh is attending a secular class. I asked my rav about attending WW meetings in a church and that's the answer he gave me.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 2:02 pm
I worked in a church. (Not for the church, but the job was located in a church.) You're not allowed to go into the sanctuary. It wasn't a big deal.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 2:20 pm
About twenty five years ago, when I was at university in England, they didn't have enough rooms for exams, and some of the exams were held off campus at a church down the road. (Or maybe a monastery. Or convent. Some kind of Church building, anyway.)

I didn't actually even have to ask about this, because the same situation came up every year. The student chaplain always made sure to publicize his ruling on this around when the exam schedule was published.

I don't remember the details now, but we were allowed to take the exams there. I think it had something to do with it being a multi-purpose room, and there were a large crowd of us going there clearly for exams rather than worship. We were even allowed to daven, 'Please Hashem, help me to remember the right answer!' If there were any crosses or other religious symbols on the walls, I think we were meant to avert our eyes - but that wasn't hard when we were anyway focusing on the exam paper. I actually don't remember if there were any.

Anyway, under certain circumstances entering a building that is normally designated as a church can be permitted. Ask about your circumstances.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 3:01 pm
In the sanctuary is not allowed, in the rest of the building is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics