Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
White kitchen sinks?

ilovegod

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 10:37 am
Do You have white sinks in the kitchen? Are You happy with it ? Practical? Or is safer to go with stainless for new kitchen?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 11:35 am
My mom has them for decades. She's constantly polishing them with scouring cleanser. They aren't kasherable for pesach. It works but it's not practical.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 11:53 am
You can't kasher a white porcelain sink. In over 12 years as a professional designer I have specced hundreds of kitchen sinks for frum clients, and exactly one was a white sink.

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 12:17 pm
Why would anyone want a white kitchen sink? It's difficult to keep clean and can't be kashered.

Stainless is pretty much maintenance free.

FWIW I have a large copper farmhouse sink. I didn't buy it for its antiseptic qualities but evidently Covid virus lives only four hours on the surface versus 24 hours for stainless Smile Mine has a "living finish" and I enjoy watching it change colors.

lfab

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 12:56 pm
We have a white sink (we didn't put it in was there when we bought the house) and I wouldn't recommend it. It always looks grungy and dirty. I'm constantly cleaning it with magic eraser sponges. Wood much prefer stainless.

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 1:55 pm
I grew up with white porcelain and have had stainless ever since I moved into my first apartment (mainly because stainless is cheaper and that's what the landlords put in, but if asked I would have chosen stainless anyway.) I would never go back to porcelain, which can't be kashered. Porcelain also eventually chips, cracks, crazes and stains. The only advantage to white porcelain IME was that it didn't show water spots. But since, unlike Flylady, I don't consider my sink to be the "focal point" of my kitchen, I don't give a hootnholler if my sink shows water spots--and if I did, they're easy enough to get rid of.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 1:57 pm
Another vote for stainless steel sinks! The white never lives up to its color! Smile

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 2:05 pm
Reading about how your sinks are grungy and your mom is always scouring, I can appreciate how incredibly clean my parents were. We always had white porcelainware in the kitchen and bathroom and it was always brilliantly white. Not until I got my own apartment and saw how fast the bathroom sink and tub grew grungy and the tile grout moldy did I realize that my parents' pristine sanitaryware was the result of constant work on their part.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 3:07 pm
Having had a white sink, I second stainless.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 4:41 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Another vote for stainless steel sinks! The white never lives up to its color! Smile

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Well said! Wink

ilovegod

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 7:30 pm
Thanks! I guess stainless is the best bet!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 7:43 pm
Yes zaq. My mom's sinks are always sparkling. But she's always scouring them.

mommyla

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 7:49 pm
If you’re really set on white, there are white stone composite (AKA quartz) sinks that are more durable and easier to clean than porcelain, and some say it can be kashered.

Metukah

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 8:25 pm
I can't believe I'm in the minority here.

I would never get a stainless steel sink again. All those water stains. Surprised Surprised Surprised Can't Believe It

A little bleach sparkles a white sink in seconds.

IMHopinion

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 8:44 pm
Metukah wrote:
I can't believe I'm in the minority here.

I would never get a stainless steel sink again. All those water stains. Surprised Surprised Surprised Can't Believe It

A little bleach sparkles a white sink in seconds.

Same here.
Love the white sinks even without bleach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars