Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Things to do in Cleveland with young kids

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 11:09 am
Need to be in Cleveland for treatment. Will be taking along a few young kids, 7 and younger, for various reasons I can't leave them behind. Please tell me what there is to do there to entertain this age kids? Things that are open now

Tx

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 10:23 pm
A lot of kid-friendly things aren’t operating normally right now, like the library, splash parks, etc. Masks are mandatory in all stores because we had a rise in cases. I’m assuming you’ll be staying in the frum community. If so, you could take them to get soft serve ice cream at Grande Judaica (in Cleveland Heights). It would be for takeout only since it’s a sefarim store primarily, just has a little coffee/ice cream counter. You could take them out for pizza at Kinneret or Issi’s, or Chinese at Jade, or fleishigs at Sababa, or shwarma at Arova. Takeout gets pricey though. If they like walks you could take them to the fitness trails at Acacia or Shaker Lakes or the little fitness trails area behind Walmart. You could also do museums like the science museum or the children’s museum. The zoo is a bit of a drive but they might like it. But really, in my experience travelling with young kids, they don’t really like getting out much, they prefer sticking close to where you’re staying and just playing and chilling. Will you be staying at a Bikur Cholim house? Ask if you can buy a kiddie pool for use while you’re there. I would plan on buying some new toys to keep the kids busy. If you want to buy on Amazon or whatever and have the toys shipped to Cleveland so they’re ready for you when you arrive, Bikur Cholim I’m sure would be happy to hold them for you. Hatzlocha OP! May the person getting treatment have a refuah sheleimah b’karov.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 11:21 pm
Previous poster had great answers!

If you have EBT or WIC card, children's museum is $2/person, up to four people. Need to reserve online in advance (because of covid) and wear mask the whole time. It's still fun! Mostly for kids up to age 6.

Cleveland Metroparks are amazing! Creeks to walk in, waterfalls, hikes... Bridal Veil falls at Bedford Reservation, Sulphur Spring in South Chagrin Reservation... Etc.

Lake Farmparks for farm excursions.

Yes, BikurCholim here is incredible! If you're staying in one of the BC houses, you can walk/bike (if you can bring scooters or bikes, that would be amwzing! They kids all ride around the neighborhood all day long.) to the Oakwood Park behind Walmart.

There's a family that rents out their pool (the only pool in CH), and you have to book 5 sessions for $200, up to 10 ppl can swim. they are 55 min. Each. Maybe you can find a group and pay into it? ($4 per person?)

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 11:24 pm
There are more pricey indoor playgrounds too. don't know details. If you're interested, I can google.
Oh, also bowling with kidsbowlfree, only need to pay for the shoes.

how long will you be in Cleveland?

It's really a great community! Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:24 am
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
There are more pricey indoor playgrounds too. don't know details. If you're interested, I can google.
Oh, also bowling with kidsbowlfree, only need to pay for the shoes.

how long will you be in Cleveland?

It's really a great community! Smile

Would you be able to get me info of indoor playgrounds? Also interesting outdoor playgrounds would be nice too.

Thanks everyone for the ideas! They are so helpful

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 5:36 am
So normally Preston's Hope (a great accessible playground at the JCC) would be a great option, but I believe it's closed because of covid. The playground next to the Beachwood pool is pretty good, I'm not sure if it's reopened or not. A lot of people in University Heights use the school playground (regular, nothing fancy) at Gearity, can anyone in UH report if it's open now or not?

Just my opinion, I would avoid all indoor playgrounds at this time.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 8:51 am
Beachwood Park with the sand pit is open. It is a great park!

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:29 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
So normally Preston's Hope (a great accessible playground at the JCC) would be a great option, but I believe it's closed because of covid. The playground next to the Beachwood pool is pretty good, I'm not sure if it's reopened or not. A lot of people in University Heights use the school playground (regular, nothing fancy) at Gearity, can anyone in UH report if it's open now or not?

Just my opinion, I would avoid all indoor playgrounds at this time.

Beachwood park is open, pool is closed, so no problem of pritzus from the pool this year.
Preston HOW is closed

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Need to be in Cleveland for treatment. Will be taking along a few young kids, 7 and younger, for various reasons I can't leave them behind. Please tell me what there is to do there to entertain this age kids? Things that are open now

Tx

Thanks for this post. Was also going to start a thread asking for attractions for kids, but some of my kids are teens.

Any arcades? Ropes courses? Amusement parks? Go karting? VR places? Petting zoo/fruit and vegetables picking? Other ideas of family fun?
Any hotels in frum area? Which of the eateries have good hechsherim- what hashgacha should I look out for?

Refuah sheleima, OP!

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:53 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Thanks for this post. Was also going to start a thread asking for attractions for kids, but some of my kids are teens.

Any arcades? Ropes courses? Amusement parks? Go karting? VR places? Other ideas of family fun?
Any hotels in frum area? Which of the eateries have good hechsherim- what hashgacha should I look out for?

Refuah sheleima, OP!

Google
Rinky dinks
fun n stuff
For gocart and arcades
Groupon may have discounts

theres sky zones and jumpyard
For jumping, etc.
Try Groupon for that too

No hotels within frum area. The hyatt at legacy village is very close (off Cedar Rd) and probably very expensive

Cleveland kosher is the local hechsher that most restaurants use.

There is also rabbi Kaplowitz hechsher at Kinneret pizza, but I think that's the only place not Cleveland kosher.

If you have EBT/WIC:
The children museum is $2/person up to 4 ppl,
Stan hywett hall and gardens (abt an hour aeay, but beautiful grounds and self tour of old mansion, if you like that kind of thing) is $3/adult, free kids

If you have science museum membership that is reciprocal, you may be able to use it here

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:56 am
Hiking trails/creek walking

Squire castle of N chagrin reservation
big field to picnic/play ball, gorgeous castle-like structure for photos, hiking trails

Acacia Reservation
On cedar Rd, nice to walk/bike/scooter

Suulpher Spring Picnic Area- creek walking

Bridal veil falls in bedford reservation- creek walking

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:57 am
Any boating available in the area?

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:58 am
There are places to pick fruit, don't know details.

The zoo is open, but some features, including PETTING ZOO are CLOSED

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:43 pm
Bump

newatthis

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:52 pm
Memphis kiddie park is perfect for those ages

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 11:25 pm
newatthis wrote:
Memphis kiddie park is perfect for those ages

its closed for the season cuz of corona

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 1:58 pm
Bump

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 1:43 am
younger kids might enjoy the indoor play area at the Strongsville Mall--- in that mall there are also 2 pet stores--- one smaller not so nice one and one larger one where you can play with the dogs! So that's a fun mall for all ages because everyone likes the pet store and the preschoolers have a little play area. I THINK that mall also has an arcade but I could be thinking of Mentor mall-- my kids like both malls--- can't remember which has the arcade offhand.

Chuck E Cheese is open---- at the one near Costco, not all the games are currently available but the other Chuck E Cheese has more available.

Dave and Buster's is open. You have to wear a mask but that's great for teens-- -not as fun for the littles since it's very large and overwhelming.

Zoo and science center are open.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics