Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Maaser for unemployment?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 3:08 pm
Do I need to give maaser for pu?

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 3:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do I need to give maaser for pu?

Why not?

1ofbillions

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 7:33 pm
My rabbi said that if it is enough that you can make it on it, there is obligation to give maaser. if not, and you have to dip into savings, there is no obligation.

Simcha36

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 1:09 pm
My Kitzur Shulchan Aruch from ES says :"even an ANI who is getting his parnassa from tzedaka collectiong is obligated in Maaser" - read hilchos tzedaka
only excpetion would be if you cant afford food for your family, ask a rav - he may say that feeding your kids can count as maaser, but you need to keep track of how much$ you actually sepnd on feeding kids. food package from school is not from your pocket, so would not count.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 6:10 pm
Simcha36 wrote:
My Kitzur Shulchan Aruch from ES says :"even an ANI who is getting his parnassa from tzedaka collectiong is obligated in Maaser" - read hilchos tzedaka
only excpetion would be if you cant afford food for your family, ask a rav - he may say that feeding your kids can count as maaser, but you need to keep track of how much$ you actually sepnd on feeding kids. food package from school is not from your pocket, so would not count.

I though masser was a minhag one takes upon themselves and not an obligation?

southernbubby

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 6:49 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
My rabbi said that if it is enough that you can make it on it, there is obligation to give maaser. if not, and you have to dip into savings, there is no obligation.

I have read similar things.

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 2:35 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I though masser was a minhag one takes upon themselves and not an obligation?

There are different halachic positions on this:
1) Even in our days there is a d'Oraita obligation to give maaser kessafim
2) It's a deRabbanan obligation
3) It's only a minhag

Depends on which Rav one asks. As far as I know, most hold by either 2) or 3), only a few by 1).

When I felt at some point that dh and I couldn't give masser regularly any more, we asked our local Rav.
He told us to do a hatarat nedarim for stopping maaser.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 2:41 pm
If I cannot pay all of my bills and buy groceries for the month, then I don't give masser.

If I'm doing OK, I give masser even though it's coming from my disability income.

Honestly, it feels really good to have what to give, especially if you've been on the receiving end in the past.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions