Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Mask advice
1  2  Next

miami85

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 4:56 pm
I need advice for my very finicky 2.5 year old who hates most hats/masks anything on his head/face. So far in the few instances where he's been out of the house he's never been forced to wear a mask, but I feel like it's an eventuality. He's not motivated by characters--we've been trying to get him to sleep in his own bed, I've tried 3 different bedding sets, he still won't sleep there. Is there a mask design that you've gotten your finicky toddler to wear? The "regular 3-fold" design--with trucks and ties, we got him to wear it for 5 seconds before he tore it off.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 4:58 pm
B"H in Israel the law is 7+.
Hatzlocha.

Stars

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 5:00 pm
Toddlers should not be wearing masks.

ETA: sorry, it wasn’t clear from your post, is he high risk for catching infections?

Last edited by Stars on Wed, Aug 05 2020, 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 5:00 pm
I read a great tip. (If you allow screen time) make the child wear a mask when he watches videos. Great practice for when he has to wear it outside

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 5:04 pm
Healthy kids under 5 should not be wearing a mask.
I saw at target someone put a mask on a tiny baby and the guard made them remove it.

amother
Honeydew

Stars wrote:
Toddlers should not be wearing masks.

ETA: sorry, it wasn’t clear from your post, is he high risk for catching infections?

In NY they require it for kids above 2

amother
Chartreuse

I took my 2.5 year old for a well visit today. It's the first time he's had to wear a mask. He was excited to wear one just like Mommy and Daddy and his older siblings. It didn't last long though - I had to keep putting it back on, and that was just for a relatively short appointment. I don't take him anywhere else he needs a mask because I can't guarantee his behavior.

I got his mask on Etsy. It's double-sided with a different print on each side so there's the "excitement" of picking which one to show. Is your son bribable? Will he understand if you tell him he'll get a treat if he keeps his mask on?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 5:05 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Healthy kids under 5 should not be wearing a mask.
I saw at target someone put a mask on a tiny baby and the guard made them remove it.

It’s a suffocation hazard for infants and babies under 2. Above 2 (at least where I live) it’s required

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 5:08 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
It’s a suffocation hazard for infants and babies under 2. Above 2 (at least where I live) it’s required

Oh I thought in NY it's from age 5. Most stores in my neighborhood require from age 5. Even target and Walmart.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 5:11 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
Oh I thought in NY it's from age 5. Most stores in my neighborhood require from age 5. Even target and Walmart.

I live in NYC; perhaps it’s different here.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 5:35 pm
Age 2 and up everywhere in NY State as long as they're medically able to tolerate it.That is the law. If your store is breaking the law, you can fill out a complaint form at coronavirus.health.ny.gov. or labor.ny.gov.

ggdm

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 5:36 pm
My 2 year old wants his mask when I put one on.
It stays on for about 5 seconds Sad

We have one for him that is basically one layer of very thin tissue. Not difficult to breathe through at all. It is rather plain. Maybe a nice design with a truck or car would motivate him more. But then, he'd probably do what he does with his favorite pacifier - take it off every 10 seconds and comment with enthusiasm about what is on it. Thankfully here where I live he doesn't have to wear one before 7.

Sorry, no real advice ... Sad

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 5:39 pm
I do not I want my kids to wear a mask. Especially my youngest, who just turned four. I go to stores that do not require it especially for kids. If a store will ask me to put a mask on my kids, especially my youngest I would walk out. I think it's unsafe.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 5:41 pm
How about a hat with a built in face shield?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 5:44 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Jastore.....r=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Sarfel-.....psc=1

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 6:08 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
In NY they require it for kids above 2

This. I had to take my sick just turned two year old to the doctor yesterday and they said she needs to come with a mask. She shrieked bloody murder and was crying the entire time until the nurse said that I could take it off of her.

Good Friend

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 6:14 pm
We bought a tube scarf mask for my 2.5 year old. She is happy to wear it around her neck, but usually doesn't agree to wear it over her nose and mouth. So she wears it on her neck and people see it and probably assume she pulled it down temporarily. This obviously doesn't protect anyone, it just makes us able to take her into stores, and also to fly with her as we had to do recently.

artz

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 6:29 pm
my 2 year old loves to wear her mask she ask for it when we go out
its actually a sock that I made into a mask

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 7:07 pm
I flew with my 4 year old, she's pretty good about wearing her mask but no one said anything when she didn't wear it. The only place that was strict about it was one airport, and only one employee reminded her.
She is not required to wear it at camp. She also recently had a well visit and they only made her put it on while seeing the doctor, not in the waiting room.
The only 'store' that asked her to wear it was the nail salon.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 7:31 pm
This thread is infuriating. All of the data shows that kids are not at high risk for catching or spreading covid
All of the data shows masks are useless at stopping transmission of virus.
Don't make your kids the korban!!!

Edit bc I know someone will ask. No I won't provide links. Do some reading yourself. Also everyone should be watching @mlwdesignny who has the patience (unlike me) to provide the latest articles and science
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics