Home

Taking meat and food on vacation without getting spoiled

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Vacation and Traveling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:27 pm
We are driving to Airbnb for three hours in the car. How should we take food? Should we freeze the meat or use a cooler?
Back to top

amother




Royalblue
 

Post  Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We are driving to Airbnb for three hours in the car. How should we take food? Should we freeze the meat or use a cooler?


If the meat and food is frozen, it doesn't need a cooler for a 3 hour drive. We've done 8 hours with frozen meat, it wasn't even fully defrosted by the time we arrived.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:47 pm
A cooler is always an excellent thing to have for any trip. You can use it while you are there so that you have food available during the day - fruits, drinks, cheeses whatever are all great stuff to keep as snacks or lunches.

So even if you can freeze meat safely for three hours, why not put it in a cooler and then you would have the use of the cooler during your vacation.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Aug 06 2020, 4:31 pm
So I should freeze all food beforehand.
Back to top

amother




Blush
 

Post  Thu, Aug 06 2020, 5:27 pm
Def freeze all food. Whatever defrosts most you will eat the first night. Sandwich toaster useful for lunches. Wraps keep well
Frozen deli meat good for quick lunch too.

We use frozen water bottles to keep fridge food fresh
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Aug 06 2020, 6:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I should freeze all food beforehand.

When we go, we freeze whatever we can, and use that as ice in a cooler to keep perishable not frozen stuff cold. We always take a cooler, this was the condensation from defrosting doesn’t get all over the car, and the food is contained.
Back to top

amother




Salmon
 

Post  Thu, Aug 06 2020, 6:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I should freeze all food beforehand.
'm t

My oldest attends college about 3 hours away, and I send him with hundreds of dollars in meat every time I send him back. (The school has requested that they not come home until November, so this time, I'm sending $700 worth of meat. Yikes.) So I'm a pro. And looking for sympathy.

Definitely use a cooler. If you have some frozen things in there -- even bottles of water -- you don't need to freeze everything.

Enjoy vacation.
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Aug 06 2020, 7:05 pm
Also, I love that this is in vaccinations and not vacations!! πŸ˜‚
Back to top

amother




Aqua
 

Post  Thu, Aug 06 2020, 7:38 pm
I've gone a week with things in the cooler. Hotels have free ice, otherwise I refill at gas stations.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Aug 07 2020, 11:42 am
Btw what do you take for a stay in a kosher Airbnb that has a bbq. What food is good to take?
Back to top

amother




Bronze
 

Post  Fri, Aug 07 2020, 11:54 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
'm t

My oldest attends college about 3 hours away, and I send him with hundreds of dollars in meat every time I send him back. (The school has requested that they not come home until November, so this time, I'm sending $700 worth of meat. Yikes.) So I'm a pro. And looking for sympathy.

Definitely use a cooler. If you have some frozen things in there -- even bottles of water -- you don't need to freeze everything.

Enjoy vacation.

Sounds like Bing!
Mine will be a freshman 😊
Back to top

amother




Salmon
 

Post  Fri, Aug 07 2020, 11:57 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Sounds like Bing!
Mine will be a freshman 😊


Yup.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer. Your student will love it there. I assume s/he will be in Newing or Dickenson, which is right where the kosher dining is and not far from Chabad. My student is not on campus and does their own cooking, so I have to send meat.
Back to top

amother




Bronze
 

Post  Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:04 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Yup.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer. Your student will love it there. I assume s/he will be in Newing or Dickenson, which is right where the kosher dining is and not far from Chabad. My student is not on campus and does their own cooking, so I have to send meat.

I figured, as you said you were sending meat and I am under the impression that upperclassmen all live in the "Shtetl".
I believe everything is under control and she could not be more excited.(Ok, she would be more excited if it was an alternate universe without COVID).
Thank you for offering to answer questions I may have. Very sweet of you!
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:18 pm
Freeze and put it in a cooler with ice. Especially if you won't be cooking/eating the food right away (vacation for more than 1 day today).
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Btw what do you take for a stay in a kosher Airbnb that has a bbq. What food is good to take?

Marinated chicken cutlets frozen in Ziploc
Burgers frozen in Ziploc (either 1 big stack with pieces of parchment paper in between or each in a separate small Ziploc)
Seasoned chicken cutlets
Marinated sandwich steak
Hot dogs
Corn on the cob
Vegetables sliced vertically for the grill (zucchini, eggplant, peppers)
Assorted buns
Boiled potatoes for potato salad (or microwave raw potatoes there if you have access to that)
Cooked pasta for a pasta salad
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Aug 07 2020, 5:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Marinated chicken cutlets frozen in Ziploc
Burgers frozen in Ziploc (either 1 big stack with pieces of parchment paper in between or each in a separate small Ziploc)
Seasoned chicken cutlets
Marinated sandwich steak
Hot dogs
Corn on the cob
Vegetables sliced vertically for the grill (zucchini, eggplant, peppers)
Assorted buns
Boiled potatoes for potato salad (or microwave raw potatoes there if you have access to that)
Cooked pasta for a pasta salad

Thanks 😊
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Vacation and Traveling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Getting out of debt
by amother
13 Today at 9:44 am View last post
Mystery meat
by amother
5 Today at 8:04 am View last post
Time sensitive ,Monsey food pick-up
by amother
1 Yesterday at 6:22 pm View last post
Why isnt this Allrecipes recipe getting adjusted for a large
by Mevater
2 Yesterday at 4:03 pm View last post
Food box in Boro Park
by amother
1 Yesterday at 3:36 pm View last post