Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Tuition is so expensive

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 9:23 pm
Hi everyone
I am really stressed about the cost of tuition this year. Especially with covid my dc school is offering no break and at 13000 per kid per year its not something I can afford.
Im very uncomfortable commiting to paying a financial sum that I cant afford. I am not salaried and I make a lot less money when schools are closed for covid.
My little one learned next to nothing on zoom last year and I am seriously considering public school this year as she has some other health issues which will cause her to miss school with covid guidlines in place even if the schools dont close.
I spoke to the school. They were unsympathetic and unhelpful and I feel stuck.
Is anyone else facing similar struggles?

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:50 am
Tuition is very Hard. Im sorry you didn't feel heard. That's never a good feeling

Maybe consider nigri online school if you Leave your school, instead of public. This way your son can have Judaics at least. And you mentioned you're concerned of health

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 1:17 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Tuition is very Hard. Im sorry you didn't feel heard. That's never a good feeling

Maybe consider nigri online school if you Leave your school, instead of public. This way your son can have Judaics at least. And you mentioned you're concerned of health

Does Nigri have secular subjects?
Is it Chabbad? As when I googled it, it said for the children of shuchim.

At 13k and with having had Zoom classes, I would guess that OP's daughter was possibly in a more non-chassidish school. Additionally, I think her concern is that Zoom/online didn't work well.

OP, I am sending love and hope that you find some easy and simple resolution. In my community, people are hiring teachers for small groups (like a homeschooling cluster). I don't know how much that costs and if that would work. I do know there are Frum families that send to public school because of either learning or financial needs. There are many options to explore. Reach out to people in your community. Possibly check FB for a group. There are a lot of options out there. Don't be afraid to explore them and ask those around you.

Rappel

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 5:10 am
There are online/homeschool options. There are tutors and governesses. No matter what home-based plan you create, it will definitely cost less than $13,000 x multiple children! If I were faced with that tuition, I'd create a school room today. It seems insane for an inexperienced online curriculum.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 5:54 am
https://www.google.com/search?.....sy-ab

Tons of resources here. Melamed Academy is top rated, and I know many families who have been very successful with it. They have very high standards.

Check out their tuition chart: https://melamedacademy.com/hom.....tion/

It's approximately 1/10th of regular school tuition, give or take.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 7:42 am
Nigri has a day school track and is actually set up to function properly online, not just thrown together on zoom

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 7:51 am
13k with no breaks in middle of a pandemic? I’m horrified.

I second melamed academy. Look at the link above. It’s 2k for a year!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 8:05 am
OP here. Thank you so much everybody. I really needed to feel heard and supported. I have this fear that Hashem will be angry with me if I send. But for many reasons I cannot keep everyone at home this year and cant homeschool because I need to work.

But I will most definitely teach jewish subjects myself and will look into the resources that you so kindly posted. I also want to find out the goals for the year kriyah wise so will be ready to go back next year.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 8:45 am
So sad that the school won’t work with you. My children’s schools charged full tuition which I think was wrong as they barely offered anything during COVID, but there was a note on the tuition statement to call them if you’ve suffered a financial loss. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t work with us. My son is starting a new very expensive school, and we applied for a scholarship. They said they won’t refuse anyone an education who can’t pay. I don’t know what we’ll be approved for, but I’m surprised there are schools who won’t at least attempt to work with you.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:06 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
So sad that the school won’t work with you. My children’s schools charged full tuition which I think was wrong as they barely offered anything during COVID, but there was a note on the tuition statement to call them if you’ve suffered a financial loss. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t work with us. My son is starting a new very expensive school, and we applied for a scholarship. They said they won’t refuse anyone an education who can’t pay. I don’t know what we’ll be approved for, but I’m surprised there are schools who won’t at least attempt to work with you.

Oh im sorry if I wasnt clear. Im sure they will work (at least minimally)if it comes down to it but right now they dont want to set anything in place with taking the health conditions in consideration. It was like if you see you need help as the year goes well revisit. But they still want head checks and a signed contract and its just too much money right now and a scary commitment especially after last year.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:14 am
That was me op

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 10:04 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Does Nigri have secular subjects?
Is it Chabbad? As when I googled it, it said for the children of shuchim.

At 13k and with having had Zoom classes, I would guess that OP's daughter was possibly in a more non-chassidish school. Additionally, I think her concern is that Zoom/online didn't work well.

OP, I am sending love and hope that you find some easy and simple resolution. In my community, people are hiring teachers for small groups (like a homeschooling cluster). I don't know how much that costs and if that would work. I do know there are Frum families that send to public school because of either learning or financial needs. There are many options to explore. Reach out to people in your community. Possibly check FB for a group. There are a lot of options out there. Don't be afraid to explore them and ask those around you.

No its not chabad.
There is a chabad track, but I was talking about the general day school track.
And no secular.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 10:05 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Nigri has a day school track and is actually set up to function properly online, not just thrown together on zoom

Yes. This is very true.
I saw a Facebook post where this is what parents were saying.
Its not just trial and error. They've been doing it for a lot of years.

Raisin

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 10:13 am
I think Nigri online school are starting to use zoom this coming year. They were using blackboard collaborate, but recently decided to change. They have 2 tracks - one for children of shluchim, and a day school/hebrew school version, with weekly, daily or inbetween classes. teachers are probably chabad but the day school is not geared for chabad kids.

No secular subjects offered. Its not very cheap but definitely not $13000.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Oh im sorry if I wasnt clear. Im sure they will work (at least minimally)if it comes down to it but right now they dont want to set anything in place with taking the health conditions in consideration. It was like if you see you need help as the year goes well revisit. But they still want head checks and a signed contract and its just too much money right now and a scary commitment especially after last year.

What do you mean if it comes down to it? If you can’t afford it, isn’t now the time to work on getting a break? If you tell them you can’t send head checks, will they kick you out? We’ve had times where we could barely pay, and we were never kicked out.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:20 am
Op here thank you everyone! I am looking into these options

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 10:14 am
I think it's around $380/month
Call and ask
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics