Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Using an Architect/Planner

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 6:26 am
So we decided to move forward towards extending our 1800 sq ft house...yay! (Or at least to get the plans for it.) This will also include substantial changes to the existing structure which has a pretty bad layout.

We just got the contract from the architect and it says that the fee includes for layout one major and one minor revision, and on internal stuff one major and one minor revision. So three revisions, additional we get charged more.

Three revisions total on two separate stages seems very few to me. Am I just indecisive? Is this standard?

Additionally, can anyone tell me their experiences working out their layouts and what to expect? What happened at the different stages and what the timeline was like? Will the architect spend time with me to understand me before putting these plans together? What should I insist on in this precess? Also, who does the kitchen layout - the cabinet people or the architect? (no, I have not been able to really speak to people irl).
Is an architect like an OB and a planner like a doula and I really need both to do this comfortably? Right now we're just using an architect.

I'm not planning on anything fancy but would rather spend more and get what works for me. I need some hand holding here on how to make this happen!

Thank you!

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 6:54 am
You need a planner to submit the plans to the Town or Village Board, make sure what the architect proposes is within the Zoning Code regulations and to navigate the approval process for you. You can start with an architect but a planner os technically more important than an architect since they can be a little dreamy.

tweety1

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 7:16 am
Some architects have planners within their company. I know the company we used did. It was great. He gave us an amazing layout.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:37 am
You should clarify how he/she works with your GC once building actually starts because there are going to be inevitable glitches.

Do you feel equipped to handle project management because someone needs to supervise the GC on this kind of major project to ensure that the work is being done properly.

You should absolutely meet with the architect prior to having any plans drawn on and these should be very extensive meetings so that the architect is completely aware of how you want the space to function and what your aesthetic vision is.

You should also be very clear in terms of what your budget is and that the plans need to be within that budget more or less. You can control the budget to some extent for finishes but there are certain aspects which need to be done appropriately for function because changing them later is impossibly expensive.

Have you thoroughly vetted the person?

Also I would suggest going to houzz.com to seek information from the people on the forum regarding building a home. The people are very knowledgeable and will guide you in exactly what you should be doing in order to avoid pitfalls and maximize the potential of your new home.

barbara1

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 7:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So we decided to move forward towards extending our 1800 sq ft house...yay! (Or at least to get the plans for it.) This will also include substantial changes to the existing structure which has a pretty bad layout.

We just got the contract from the architect and it says that the fee includes for layout one major and one minor revision, and on internal stuff one major and one minor revision. So three revisions, additional we get charged more.

Three revisions total on two separate stages seems very few to me. Am I just indecisive? Is this standard?

Additionally, can anyone tell me their experiences working out their layouts and what to expect? What happened at the different stages and what the timeline was like? Will the architect spend time with me to understand me before putting these plans together? What should I insist on in this precess? Also, who does the kitchen layout - the cabinet people or the architect? (no, I have not been able to really speak to people irl).
Is an architect like an OB and a planner like a doula and I really need both to do this comfortably? Right now we're just using an architect.

I'm not planning on anything fancy but would rather spend more and get what works for me. I need some hand holding here on how to make this happen!

Thank you!

I worked with Mr Feldbrand a local Architect with allot of experience with additions and he did not charge me for every change and his prices were very reasonable compared to other local lakewood Architects.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Dec 07 2020, 8:26 pm
If you get a good architect you don’t need a planner. If you get a cheap architect, yes you MUST get a planner.
I guess it’s like your example- you don’t need a doula if you have a great ob and deliver in a great hospital. if you are delivering in Israel and don’t have private insurance, you should get a doula.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics