Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Milk spoiling this summer

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:39 am
I’ve been drinking cholov yisroel my whole life and this summer for the first time my milk spoils so quickly. I buy it and put it straight in the back of the fridge and get the best dates. It’s so weird to me. Anyone have this? I started using red milk more than blue, can that be an issue? What company is best and lasts longest?

Hashemlovesme1

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:55 am
I don’t know where you live, but if you’re in an area (ie many parts of the NY area) where so many people are getting free CY milk from the school distributions, the stores aren’t going through their shipments as fast and it sits on the shelves longer. That’s the issue I’ve seen over the last few months.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:56 am
Are you in the US? What area do you live in?

When I lived on the West coast, all CY milk would spoil within 36 hours, and you could only buy it by the gallon. It cost 4 times what OU milk cost, and OU milk lasted for at least a week or more.

When I tried to keep CY in the US, I ended up making a LOT of cheese with the spoiled milk. Very expensive cheese, might I add. I only use it for coffee, and sometimes for baking, so a small carton is enough for me for the week. Buying those big gallons for so much money made me want to cry.

I ended up switching to OU milk. It was just getting crazy.

My theory is that all CY milk comes from the East coast, and by the time it gets shipped anywhere else, it starts to go bad. Maybe the trucks are not refrigerated properly.

Here in Israel, CY milk is amazing, and stays fresh for a very long time. I don't think it's anything to do with being CY, it's everything to do with how it's processed and shipped.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:56 am
Did you change brand? I see a big diff between them. Pride of the farm lasts the longest for me.

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:58 am
I haven't had it with the milk but definitely with the cheese. I don't stock up on milk like I usually do though. I find that the best is Devash in Brooklyn.

Simple1

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 10:00 am
I didn't notice. But maybe it has to do with the heat wave we've had which could affect a shipment waiting to be stocked on the shelves.

silverlining3

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 10:21 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
I haven't had it with the milk but definitely with the cheese. I don't stock up on milk like I usually do though. I find that the best is Devash in Brooklyn.

I had it one summer with a brand milk, changed to devash and bh so far never had a problem.
Though I think it also has to do with the delivery and store owners. Companies deliver during the night, much earlier than groceries open, sits in the heat too long.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 10:45 am
Im actually having the opposite. We usually get pride of the farm and avoid golden flow because it spoils so fast but this summer we get golden flow from the food pickups and it’s been lasting really well with only one weeks stock spoiling before the expiration date.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 10:46 am
Thanks guys! I never tried devash not for any specific reason. I’m in Brooklyn and headed to the store now so I will try devash. Thanks for the replies

Ahuva's Mommy

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 11:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’ve been drinking cholov yisroel my whole life and this summer for the first time my milk spoils so quickly. I buy it and put it straight in the back of the fridge and get the best dates. It’s so weird to me. Anyone have this? I started using red milk more than blue, can that be an issue? What company is best and lasts longest?

I'm having this with all of the free cream cheese we're getting. Am I the only one?

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 11:07 am
My dh has always noticed that CY spoils faster. I have no idea why.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:23 pm
The manager In Moishas said they get the same amount of deliveries even with the food packages. He recommended devash and said red milk is best and green is worst in terms of spoiling
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen