Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Interesting perspective on hybrid education

keym

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 6:44 am
https://www.wired.com/story/hy.....-all/

I saw this article this morning.
Thoughts? Comments?

Sunny Days

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 7:35 am
Exactly

pause

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 7:42 am
The ability to SD is the highest priority here, not the actual health of the individuals. As we've seen with the camp/day camp fiasco...

icedcoffee

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 8:26 am
There are no good solutions, only the least bad. Hybrid is logistically awful for everyone. My school was cleared for 8 kids in each classroom. Ok. Normally my classes are around 28-32 kids. What's going to happen to the other 20-24 kids? No one has a clear answer yet. In that regard, it almost makes more sense to just keep everyone remote so I can come up with an actual plan to teach all the kids together and give them equal access to the material. Obviously, the glaring issue is that parents have to go to work. But with the hybrid model, students will only be in the building 1-3 days anyway. So what's the solution for parents who need to go to work on the other 2-4 days? It's a nightmare for everyone. I honestly don't know what the best answer is. It's going to be a tough year.

keym

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:11 am
icedcoffee wrote:
There are no good solutions, only the least bad. Hybrid is logistically awful for everyone. My school was cleared for 8 kids in each classroom. Ok. Normally my classes are around 28-32 kids. What's going to happen to the other 20-24 kids? No one has a clear answer yet. In that regard, it almost makes more sense to just keep everyone remote so I can come up with an actual plan to teach all the kids together and give them equal access to the material. Obviously, the glaring issue is that parents have to go to work. But with the hybrid model, students will only be in the building 1-3 days anyway. So what's the solution for parents who need to go to work on the other 2-4 days? It's a nightmare for everyone. I honestly don't know what the best answer is. It's going to be a tough year.

Personally I would skip the social distancing in classroom. But have one teacher teach all subjects-doable for elementary school children. Lunch in class and recess in class or outside in designed areas of the yard.
I know it's not ideal. But like the author said, at least the teacher is only being exposed to the 30 kids in the class and their families....
With hybrid, the teacher is still exposed to 30 kids in the class and their families, plus the daycare center staff (that they go the other 2/3-3/4 of the days) plus the other children at the daycare plus their families.

amother
Red

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:34 am
Yes! On a high school level you can do hybrid so you can have fewer kids in the room and they have online classes or self directed learning the other days. Many schools are keeping a grade at a time home to simplify scheduling.
But younger kids who can’t stay home alone, unless you live in a town with everyone having stay at home parents or live in nannies, hybrid is a disaster. I’d rather have that kid in my classroom every day exposed to the same 25 kids I’m exposed to than split the Class, so I’m still exposed to the same 25, but now they’re also with other people the other days.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics