Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Storing kids clothing

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 2:07 pm
My youngest is 5 and I don't know if and when I will have another (possibly in 3 to 4 years or so) what does it pay to hold on to? Underwear, pjs, shabbos outfits? I never gave away her baby clothing, pjs, underwear and some shabbos outfits. We aren't rich and these things add up fast...

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 2:19 pm
I keep most things but the 5 years being stored (Between my younger boys, I have girls in between) caused the elastic to harden and stretch so many pjs were not good. Pants with elastic waists many weren’t good. I did keep shirts and Basic pants. Shabbos clothes most were good. Some white shirts did turn yellow.

The box must be sealed airtight or clothing will yellow, even colored clothing. Between my first two boys (2 years) I wasn’t so careful to seal the Tupperware box and a lot of clothes had to be dumped as it had turned yellow.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 2:40 pm
Keep the good shabbos clothes. Sort them now and organize by size with labels. Your favorite outfit here and there.
Give away the rest so that someone gets to enjoy them while they're still good before they fall apart.

happy chick

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 3:02 pm
I keep most good stuff , I store them in containers. I have a big break between my girls and every time I had another boy I said I would give away the girl stuff. Never happened. Then when I needed it , a lot of things weren't good. Either stained or the elastic got hard and cracked. I would keep stuff for more than 2-3 years.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 3:23 pm
I don't store anything aside for newborn until size 12 months stage, and shabbos coats.
I don't like throwing out expensive clothes so I'll keep it until I find a cousin or neighbor that can make use of it then. Anything cheap or more worn gets thrown out.
I look at it this way; right now I have a pair of crocs that are too small on dd. She's 4 and doesn't have a younger sister (although there is one on the way). If someone can enjoy it now, why put it away for a MAYBE enjoyment in a few years?
Storage is a concern for me as well, as I don't have extra space in my apartment.

Side note: I just took out all her baby clothes, they're all in perfect condition but somehow even though I had some nostalgia remembering using them I didn't necessarily appreciate putting it away. I get more enjoyment from seeing my niece or cousin using an outfit right after I'm done with it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics